The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Favor Items ruin the game.

By on April 21, 2009 10:10:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The key to getting new players into a game is balance. Skill should decide whether or not you win or lose.  They should learned this lesson badly from WoW.  Favor items are not only a minor edge, but absolutely crush new players with the head start you get.  The 15% run speed is not just amazing, it's godly versus a new player. Not because of skill but because in close matches even 1 kill can decide the game.   If 3 random people had 15% run speed versus 3 other randoms with no or much weaker favor items there would be little chance of the 0% run speed team winning.  

We saw this in WoW. You can't create necessary homogeny.  If everyone has the minor speed, boars speed, or ____ speed enchants it simply becomes redundant to have them.  And the fact is everyone did have them. I don't know about later on because i've played a bunch of single player and some MP and well you can't kil what you can't catch.  Doesn't matter if you can hit for 1,000,000.

Anyways i'd hope to see NO favor games to encourage players or change the favor system. THe idea that you have to grind any sort of points as a new player is a turnoff.  When i first bought this game i thought it would be fun because the favor system was an easy grind.  But it's not. YOu'd have to spend 10-20 HOURS to get the best item. WHat is this? A fkin MMO? GImme a break. I don't play MMOs because they are grind trash.

+1 Karma | 84 Replies
April 21, 2009 10:32:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

10-20 hours?  O noes!  Thats a pretty crazy time sink.  Parents won't ever see their kids again.  Families will be torn apart.  Jobs will be lost!  O the humanity!

April 21, 2009 10:33:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh, btw, the run speed favor item is one of the cheapest available.  I think it took me 3 games to purchase and retain permanently.

April 21, 2009 10:34:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like em but i wish they where all like 500 favor points and equally balanced.   So they'd be sort of a way to change the balance around some

April 21, 2009 10:35:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It is optional so I dont think it will ruin the game.  Sure it sucks when you first start but it gives something for people to shoot for if they like that sort of thing.  Boots of speed give 10% increase and they are pretty cheap. 

April 21, 2009 10:44:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If they fix losing favor it should be fine.  You can only carry a single favor item.  Thus a player need only target a few key favor items to get on a relatively level playing field.  The grind for items would be minimal.

I am disapointed custom games will not be giving favor anymore, however.  This gets rid of the only way to play with friends and gain favor.  Who cares is someone games the system to get some favor quickly.  The power gap shouldn't be large enough to matter (if you grab your favor items intelligently.)

I agree the cost of the upper level items should probably come down a bit, but at the same time the favor system provides encouragement for players not to rage quit (as they don't gain favor.)

Do remember that a player starting off gets a lot of quick 100 favor bonuses from achievements.  You can nail 500 favor a game for your first couple quite easily.

April 21, 2009 10:52:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I get the need to not rage quit. BUt really. The noob above who thinks 10-20 hours is nothing must work minimum wage somewhere.  You're effectively saying a normal person must spend 1/4 to 1/2 of an entire work week to be on a level playing field.  

No thank you.

I am host all NO FAVOR ALLOWED games

April 21, 2009 10:53:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also once everyone had their favor they could just rage quit anyways. The invisible hand of the market of players will balance itself to stop quitters by itself.

April 21, 2009 10:54:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1: click multiplayer

2: host a game and setup a password

3: add one computer(easy) on dark side

4: start game

5:??????

6: PROFIT!

April 21, 2009 10:59:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OwinDB,
1: click multiplayer

2: host a game and setup a password

3: add one computer(easy) on dark side

4: start game

5:??????

6: PROFIT!

1. Find the file game.prefs

2. Change the line "points = #" to "points = 100000"

3. ?????

4. Profit!

April 21, 2009 11:01:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting AngryZealot,

1. Find the file game.prefs

2. Change the line "points = #" to "points = 100000"

3. ?????

4. Profit!

Sure if you like playing single player.

April 21, 2009 11:04:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RainFall2112,
I get the need to not rage quit. BUt really. The noob above who thinks 10-20 hours is nothing must work minimum wage somewhere.  You're effectively saying a normal person must spend 1/4 to 1/2 of an entire work week to be on a level playing field.  

No thank you.

I am host all NO FAVOR ALLOWED games

Actually, I work 40+ hours a week for a major gaming company.

I just know how to game, bro.

1/2 of a work week is nothing.  Its your spare time, so if you don't enjoy what you do, do something else.  If you do enjoy it, then a 3-4 day learning curve is nothing.

April 21, 2009 11:08:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Max is 9999.

April 21, 2009 11:10:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Favor items should be abalanced so the choice is totally build dependent.  They should also eliminate the grind to get them.  This way favor items would be a positive element in the game instead of the current stupidity which is who bought the right one before their points went to -10k or some other ridiculous number.

April 21, 2009 11:45:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the favor items need to be balanced a little better, a few are quite silly, such as the one that'll heal you and any nearby allies for 2000 over ten seconds if you don't take damage. However, I like the idea of favor items, adds some additional customization to the game.

April 21, 2009 11:50:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The favor items could use a bit of rebalancing. When I saw them all there's maybe 4 that'd I'd even consider using and the rest are relatively junk.

The +15% movement boots are probably one of the best, since you can't really buy any item for gold that's better. There's the +10% move boots, and +15% move boots available. Also, its hard to stack move speed since there aren't many items that have move speed bonus available.

Other favor items that give +mana or +health, provide small benefits relative to buyable items that have higher mana & health bonuses, and it's easy to make up the difference from what the favor item provides.

The favor boots should probably get halved to around 7.5% movespeed so that they're more in line with whats available in shop.

April 22, 2009 12:41:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol, Nerf all the items that you earn...isnt that the point of favor points? 

Sound like a bunch of sissys...Whining because someone spent the time to earn something, so Earn it too and use it against them, stop acting like DOTA players...

April 22, 2009 1:42:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Has no one mentioned that favor items are supposed to cost gold? They aren't just laughably easy to get, but once they are forcing you to choose between a favor item and something else at the start of a match, the benefit they give will decrease drastically.

April 22, 2009 1:50:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Apologists FTL

why are you guys so against balance?

April 22, 2009 1:56:23 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I like favor items, when they start working it gives me an alternate reason to keep playing the game, a goal to work towards to help keep me intrested when I begin to lose intrest.

April 22, 2009 2:00:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

10-20 hours? I had my favorite favor items in something like 2. Once negative favor points bug is fixed, it should be a non-issue.

April 22, 2009 2:07:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ganKing,
Has no one mentioned that favor items are supposed to cost gold? They aren't just laughably easy to get, but once they are forcing you to choose between a favor item and something else at the start of a match, the benefit they give will decrease drastically.

No they aren't.  They never costed gold thoughout the entire beta, never display a gold cost, and nowhere have I seen mention of this.  Favor items function as a one time freebie item.  You get 1 free favor item per match and cannot change it.  So you have to pick carefully at the start of the match.

April 22, 2009 2:08:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JinxOfSin,
Apologists FTL

why are you guys so against balance?
It's a matter of degree.  If this were remotely similar to an MMO I'd quit and never look back.  The favour items are practically just bells and whistles at this point though.

April 22, 2009 2:49:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It would be better if all the favor items cost 500 favor and where balanced around that cost.  So it's more a choice of what you want on a particular demigod in that match than just using the 5 best expensive ones.

April 22, 2009 3:00:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

items are easy to get, play singleplayer before you go complain about them.

April 22, 2009 3:13:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually it's not THAT easy to get hte expensive ones.  Some cost 2k.  Figure average favor is about 200 per game.  That's about 4 hours of gameplay.  But 4 hours of gameplay means about 20 hours of connectivity issues, for 1 item.

If all were 500favor, that's just slightly more than 2 won games.  Then they could all be balanced fine.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000828   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.