The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

An Education of Simspeed.

By on April 21, 2009 7:29:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BulletMagnet

Join Date 07/2008
+37

you may very well have seen on the forums the term "simspeed" being thrown around, and wondered what it is. you may also have noted that simspeed is displayed in-game too.

what simspeed is, is both a measure of CPU performance, AND a measure of gamespeed. though, in the case of the latter only indirectly so.

in-game, all players have a maximum simspeed listed; this is the limit to how fast that computer can calculate all the stuff going on. more stuff, more things to work on, and the lower the simspeed. don't be confused by this though; the game cannot actually run faster on one computer than another. just think about it; it simply makes no sense.

now, back on topic, it doesn't take a genius to note that higher numbers are better. however, it appears there's lots of confusion on how the scale works.

i see many people, and i've left out the names of the culprits to save public humiliation, say;

"a +4 simspeed means you can play it at four-times normal speed."

this, is simply wrong. want to know why? well, may i ask how fast does a simspeed of +1 play? is that normal speed, or just above normal?

further;

what about +0 simspeed? surely, this means the game is paused,

and of course -1 means the game is going backwards!

we all know that neither are true; so we can see that above statement about +4 equating to 4x is wrong.

since i've got your attention, and held it until this point i shall now teach you show you how to interpret the simspeed properly.

start by grabbing a stopwatch. yes, your phone will do too. now, play a game at a speed of +3. take note of how long abilities take to recharge.

who here noticed that they were recharging pretty much at twice the normal (normal being +0) speed? now, do this again, except play at +6. the game is now running at twice as fast as before; four times normal speed.

continue this, but do the opposite, and play at -3 and -6 and you'll see that the game is playing at half and quarter power.

in order to translate simspeed into an equivalent multiple of how many times of normal speed a game is, you use the following;

t = 1.26 ^ n

in this case, n is the simspeed (it can be either positive or negative, it works both ways), and t is the multiple of normal time.

get your calculator (Google calculator is really handy here too) and try it by replacing n with 0, 3, 6, and so on.

it's pretty damn close, isn't it?

say, you and i are in a match together, your max simspeed is +4 and mine is +7. do the maths;

t = 1.26 ^ +4

t ~ 2.52

the fastest your computer will run currently is about 2.5x normal.

mine on the other hand;

t = 1.26 ^ +7

t ~ 5.04

as you can see, mine is smack-bang on twice yours. the same goes for negative numbers too, and even one negative and one positive! if we wanted to play an insanely sped-up game, and we try to up the game speed to +10; my computer can only reach +7 speeds, however we will reach the your +4 limit before that. in this case, we can play at a maximum of +4.

the maths. behind this funny exponential system are actually used in science, math, and engineering all the time. take sound for example; it's measured in decibel (dB). say i measure a sound to be 60dB loud, and then another sound to be 54dB. the first will appear to be twice as loud as the second, and if i measure a third sound at 66dB it'll be twice as loud as the first. earthquakes are like this too; a magnitude 7 earthquake is ten times bigger than a magnitude 6 earthquake.

so, how will you find this useful when playing Demigod? well, when you look at everyone's max simspeed values; those with values 3 higher than you can process upto twice as fast as you, relative to the maximum your computer can process. the game still runs at the speed of the slowest compute. i'm going to shamelessly steal part of Spooky's post from below.

Quoting Spooky,
the game will always run on the speed set in the game options (default: 0) as long as every player can sustain that speed. If one player's sim speed falls below that speed, the game will run slower.

thanks.

just remember; when you're in a five-on-five and everyone has killer computers, except that one person, who is at -2 and your game is crawling along; it's his fault! gank him, and make his life a living hell, hopefully he'll rage-quit and let your game continue in peace. XP

[EDIT:] updated some things based off the feedback i've recieved.

GL; HF.

PLEASE, DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD!
if something is wrong, or you have questions; i'd prefer it to come as a PM.
this thread isn't a discussion, conversation, or a debate;
it's merely an explanation of how simspeed works, and how to understnad it.
the karma system is there for a reason; if you feel inclinded to say thanks, use it instead of posting.
Pinned, Locked Post 28 Replies +22
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 21, 2009 7:40:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very interesting read dude, i notice the sim speed last game i played and had NFI what it was for, now i do so cheers. Although i find it quite sad how people do lag in this game, i mean u need to play max max max everything and then play while running at +7 makes a nice view

April 21, 2009 9:20:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dude, he has a MASSIVE BANNER AT THE BOTTOM OF HIS POST SAYING DO NOT REPLY.

April 21, 2009 9:23:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DeadMG,
Dude, he has a MASSIVE BANNER AT THE BOTTOM OF HIS POST SAYING DO NOT REPLY.
So why did you reply?

April 21, 2009 10:20:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm replying simply to say that while informative, the tone of the post was very condescending.

April 21, 2009 11:20:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

condescending and unnecessarily longwinded.

April 21, 2009 11:48:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If he's too lazy to capitalize any words, then I'm too lazy to finish reading past the second sentence.

April 21, 2009 1:10:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Add a please to the do not reply and maybe more people will listen.

I'm glad you know the math behind simspeed, where did you get that information?

Is it an industry term?

Get a +250 polite helm please. =]

April 21, 2009 6:00:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Confusing thread. A guy with little knowledge of computers is going to read that and think that the guy he is playing in multiplayer can move faster and recharge faster than him because he has a higher simspeed, but that is not the case. To wit:

"well, when you look at everyone's max simspeed values; those with values 3 higher than you can play twice as fast as you, no matter how fast you can play. say, you and i are in a match together, you max simspeed is +4 and mine is +7."

April 21, 2009 7:26:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Honestly anyone playing on a shitty enough computer to be in -simspeed should not be allowed to play in pantheon games. I built my computer two years ago with the original step e6400 and I get +7-8 sim speed at max settings 1920x1080 in 5v5. Its annoying playing a 30-40min long games when if the sim speed was higher it would have been a 10min game. "HMMMMM my computer is from 1998 I bet this game will work!"

April 21, 2009 7:36:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

saying leave thanks in karma system is a bit.... i dont know, pushy. i wish more used it but it seems like you are begging

i liked the lesson, but i dont like the end, sry

April 21, 2009 9:24:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

0 Sim Speed doesn't feel like normal speed, it feels slower TBH.

p.s. Unneccesarily obnoxious post, I'm surprised it's a sticky.

April 22, 2009 8:56:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i know i come across as a dick, but if you've been doing tech. support on the internet for strangers as long as i have, you'll understand that i'm not ever going to coddle you, pat you on your back, or make you feel better. that's not my job; i'm just explaining something that would otherwise be confusing to some members. having an explanation of how and why is infinitely more useful than a simple what.

you'd be surprised by the number of idiots to be found on the internet (fortunately everyone in this thread has so far been intentially stiring up trouble, or has provided decent feedback). ask someone who works in the retail sector, if they have to deal with idiodic and troublesome customers on a daily basis (and no, the customer is notAlwaysRight).

this thread was stickied because it was, and still is, a useful post, it's not about manners.

by the way; my other profession includes lots and lots of coding, and using lots of acronyms. i have gotten myself into a terrible habbit of using camelCase and intentionally leaving capitals for pronouns. this is why my sentences never start with a capital, nor do my 'i's.

engineers, like doctors, have terrible handwriting, but engineers aparantly also have terrible typing skills too.

fortunately no one caught me out on my errors in the decibel system. XP

now, can we please leave this thread alone. i'm more than happy to speak via PM, and if you can convince me to change something; i'll happily do it.

/BulletMagnet turns to eBay and looks for some politeness buffing armour.

April 22, 2009 2:18:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do not listen to them they are whiners. I would rather be told directly what sim speed was which i had no idea but now i do. The way you worded it was informative and i got the jist of what sim speed is now.

April 22, 2009 9:07:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

My only question is why is this in the Tech Support forum?!?

April 22, 2009 10:05:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's probably the most likely place people will look if they have performance issues I would imagine.

April 23, 2009 4:05:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Hadberz,
My only question is why is this in the Tech Support forum?!?
Because it's a technical topic regarding the engine.

April 23, 2009 7:39:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Being a dumb-blonde, French Literature student, there's some technical stuff in his OP that I do not seem to understand.

After having read other posts on SimSpeed, there are 2 basic things I remember from other forum users :

1. Any SS number above 0 is fine ;

2. When you're in a MP game, the game will run at the pace of the computer with the lowest SS number.

If statement 2 is correct, I then do not understand what the OP is implying.

For example, in a 2 v 2 match, the SS numbers are 3, 4, 5, 6. If the game must then run at the lowest SS number (3), what advantage do you gain if you have a SS of 6 ? The OP seems to state that, for example, your recharge rate will be much faster. But how is that possible if the MP game must run at the pace of the lowest participant ?

It must be me. My interpretation of his OP might be off. I won't PM him : I simply don't have the time to exchange personal PMs. (I hope that he found the armour he was looking for on eBay : he seems to have a very thin skin.)

April 23, 2009 8:01:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorceress: no, the game will always run on the speed set in the game options (default: 0) as long as every player can sustain that speed. If one player's sim speed falls below that speed, the game will run slower.

For example:

Simspeed
Player 1: +10
Player 2: +10
Player 3: +8
Player 4: +4
Gamespeed: Normal = 0
Resulting Speed: 0
  Simspeed
Player 1: +10
Player 2: +10
Player 3: +8
Player 4: +4
Gamespeed: *Fast = +3
Resulting Speed: +3

Simspeed
Player 1: +6
Player 2: +5
Player 3: +2
Player 4: -2
Gamespeed: Normal = 0
Resulting Speed: -2
  Simspeed
Player 1: +5
Player 2: +3
Player 3: -1
Player 4: -4
Gamespeed: *Slow = -3
Resulting Speed: -4

*I don't actually know what "Slow" and "Fast" equals to in game speed.

April 23, 2009 12:41:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It might help understand to know that you can actually adjust the game speed.

In a single player game press + or - on your keypad to increase or decrease the game speed.  So if your sim speed is +4 for example, then setting the game speed to +5 or +6 will not make it any faster than your sim speed.

In a multiplayer game, before the game starts in the game options, the host can choose from Slow, Normal, Fast and Adjustable.  In most cases you will just play on normal (which I assume is zero) speed.

So as you say there is no advantage to having a sim speed of +6 if the game is running at normal speed - however personally I think things feel more responsive if your sim speed is above zero.

April 24, 2009 9:06:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Uh, so what if this post is an explanation? The first post is always on top. Nothing happens if people reply. Get over yourself.

April 24, 2009 5:19:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Putting a big "Please do not reply" at the end was just asking for people to reply, alot.

May 3, 2009 1:11:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Granolan2021,
Putting a big "Please do not reply" at the end was just asking for people to reply, alot.

Basically.  I think it is too long and complicated for the average folk as well.

To put it short, your as strong as your weakest link or rather as fast as it.

May 11, 2009 2:06:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How come my simspeed is significantly lower when I play mp compared to sp?

May 21, 2009 1:25:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I REPLIED DUR DUR DURRRR

May 21, 2009 10:59:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting abr4,
How come my simspeed is significantly lower when I play mp compared to sp?
Multiplayer probably has more players, and always have multiple connections to send data to/from. This would slow down your computer responsiveness and thus slow your sim speed.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000343   Page Render Time: