The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Performance improved by /nosound

By on April 21, 2009 4:04:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Talsworthy

Join Date 02/2006
+1

I've been having issues with Demigod performance. I had assumed it was my processor as its an AMD 3200+, 8800GT and 2 GB Ram.

However after seeing a similar post I tried the following.

Skirmish Map - Brothers.

First with sound

Game starts at Sim Speed of 4, then  I go and cap the Portal to the right as I approach it moves down till hit hits 0 and stays there.

Then without sound using the /nosound option

Game starts at Sim Speed 4, I cap - still a steady 4 and fps 45. I then wade into battle and it remains at 4 with fps above 40.

My card is a Creative Labs Xfi Xtreme Gamer card (latest drivers Dec 2008) - so a good card. I have tried various options such as no hardware acceleration (much worse!) and turning off EAX etc. Tonight i'll turn back reverb back on to see if that has an effect.

So anyone else seeing a difference in performance with /nosound. Also Are there any other options on the switches - the sound options don't seem to make a difference.

I'll also try the onboard sound card tonight and post my findings. However IMHO the game performance should not be effected to this degree

Tals

If you are not sure how to implement the /nosound option then this post should assist https://forums.demigodthegame.com/348389

If you do have the issue Stardock have also made this post

for those of you experiencing the audio performance issues, could you please email [email protected] with the following information.  Entitle your email NOSOUND PERFORMANCE ISSUE.

Before sending this information, please do the following if you have not already:

1) Update your sound drivers to the latest available.

2) Make sure your motherboard and chipset drivers are the latest available.  (These are drivers such as Intel Chipset XXX where xxx is your motherboard chipset.)

Once you have the latest drivers, run Demigod and reproduce the issue.  Then exit Demigod and create / obtain the following files.  Please attach the following information to your email:

1) Please run the DXDiag.exe utility and save the output to a file.

2) Attach your DemiGodLog.TXT which can be found here:

%userprofile%\My Documents\my games\Gas Powered Games\Demigod\DemiGodLog.TXT

Thank you for your assistence in helping us address this issue for the community.

Pinned, Locked Post 171 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 23, 2009 6:57:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Chronos-X,

wow....this no sound thingg.....actually works.

before...i was lucky if i could muster out 5fps...but now...im playin at around 27-30fps, YAY

i had my doubts......but now i can actually play online, WOOT!!!

same coment at : https://forums.demigodthegame.com/348389

Excellent, that's partly the reason for the post Don't forget to respond to Zargon(reply 42)  regarding sending in dxdiag etc - hopefully Stardock can nail this one.

Tals

April 23, 2009 10:10:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I did the no sound thing and it worked really well and I'd just like to thank StarDock for working hard to fix this.

April 24, 2009 12:16:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Running a dual core AMD 2.3ghz /nosound gave a significant performance boost to my game.

April 24, 2009 2:39:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah I'm having problems with framerates too. I've tried /nosound, and it definitely helps.

With /nosound, framerates are around 20-30. 

Without it, it drops to 5-8 pretty frequently. I'm not sure if this is a bug or just really crappy audio performace, but jeez, audio should never have THAT big an impact on framerates.

Specs:

Core2 Duo @ 2.4 GHZ

4 GB RAM

Nvidia 8600M GT (laptop)

Sigmatel onboard audio

Not the fastest machine on the block, but certainly middle of the road. With all of the settings on low or disabled in the game, this game should have no problem on an average machine. Instead, in a competitive multiplayer game with frame rates of 8-10, its essentially unplayable. Either its really poor optimization of code or there should be lower settings to play the game.

April 24, 2009 10:22:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I had the same motherboard (a8n-sli) and had the exact same problem.  I have since replaced the motherboard/cpu/memory to a phenom II 920 and everything is right as rain.  definitely something going on with that mb and the game..

April 24, 2009 11:47:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I tried the no sound fix and my game went from a little annoying to running perfectly. Even after the new update today which i was seriously hoping that gpg and stardock would address this problem. There has to be a fairly big problem somewhere in the audio to see this HUGE a difference before and after the sound is turned off. I still trust stardock and gpg to get everything fixed. If there was one developer that i would want a game to have problems with it would probably be stardock because i trust it to get fixed at some time and pretty quick. Hopefully things turn out, I hope that this problem gets addressed soon it gets a little obnoxious to have no sound to a game. thanks for the fix guys!

April 25, 2009 1:31:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Talsworthy,
Stil Rey - what MB is that?

My hope is regardless of the cause the devs can find a work around - whether that is to enable proper HW Sound - would be nice or allowing more cutting down of the sound eg force stereo/mono etc, I don't mind I just want a solution

NVIDIA nForce 430 Chipset

April 25, 2009 10:57:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This did significantly improve my game's performance, smooth as a baby's ass on low settings, i can prolly get away with cranking them up now.  I hope you guyz find a way to fix the sound though.  I'll just have to put on some hardcore techno or buckethead for now.

Spec:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT
4GB Ram
Windows Vista

I don't believe my laptop has a sound card but i do use a G35 headset, dunno if that helps you guys.

April 25, 2009 11:38:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting boozedupbob,
I did the no sound thing and it worked really well and I'd just like to thank StarDock for working hard to fix this.

All I have to say is you guys are pretty much screwed forever. SupCom has had this exact same problem and it's existed for years. They haven't done anything about it and there's no hope in that changing. The system they use for sound is the worst I have ever seen and your best bet is to switch to onboard sound or USB headphones with their own sound drivers. I tried everything for months back with SupCom and it's not worth the headache.

April 26, 2009 3:37:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

USB headsets or onboard sound does not work for me. I'm hoping Stardock are a bit more persuasive than their previous publishers - they are at least taking an interest by pinning this topic

April 26, 2009 5:10:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i have the nosound problem with demigod, but i have never had the same problem with supcom. and, no, there has been no changes in the hardware since i last played supcom.

April 26, 2009 12:44:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm having the no sound issue as well, never had this problem with SupCom. How do I use /obtain and would I use that after playing the No sound shortcut or the regular shortcut?

April 26, 2009 1:42:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jab,
I'm having the no sound issue as well, never had this problem with SupCom. How do I use /obtain and would I use that after playing the No sound shortcut or the regular shortcut?

What is /obtain?

April 26, 2009 3:11:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Reproduced it and sent them my diag/log, hope it will help fix the problem... and maybe fix the sound crackling issue along with it, I've got a hunch those are related.

I really don't feel like playing with /nosound and since favor only comes from random matches now where I have to play the large maps...

April 26, 2009 7:58:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm sound is a problem prolly with 2+ year old systems.  Im still trying to find out what is wrong with the sound on my bro's pc.  Will post update

April 27, 2009 4:05:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting UsmcRaiden,
Hmm sound is a problem prolly with 2+ year old systems.  Im still trying to find out what is wrong with the sound on my bro's pc.  Will post update

I believe it is nforce4 mb's or at least they are the ones most likely affected. I don't believe it is as easy as old systems Certainly this and SC appear to be th emain games effected so hopefully a solution is possible.

If you have the issue i've done a lot to try and resolve - (usb headset/updated drivers/bios etc) I think the solution is unfortunately with Stardock.

Tals

April 27, 2009 11:55:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have also been having some Simspeed issues.  I am not home right now to test the /nosound fix, but I am using an nforce4 MB which seems to be the problem child.  So, from the looks of it, at least the 430 is a major problem.

For the sake of exposing any other duplicate system issues which could be causing the problem, below are my system specs:

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz
  • GPU: Asus EN8800GT GeForce 8800GT, 512MB Dedicated PCI Express 2.0
  • RAM: OCZ Reaper (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 Ram.

Edit: So I tried the nosound - I had about 4 sim speed prior, and I had 4-5 but it certainly was more constant (never reaching 0).  I really have a hard time believeing that this system can't handle this game.  How can ANY core 2 duo not have a constant +5 simspeed?  Is there really that much going on?  Especially when I'm far above the minimum system specs = (.  Oh well, at least it is playable.

April 27, 2009 4:28:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am also having the same problem. I have tried everything I can think of: reinstalling and updating all drivers, trying on the 32 bit vista partition on my computer, etc. Nothing has worked or even given any performance boost. Here are my system specs:

Gateway P7811Fx laptop

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 / 2.26 GHz w/ 3MB L2 cache

Chipset type Mobile Intel PM45 Express

Ram 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM - 1066 MHz

Hard Drive 200 GB - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm

GPU NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS - GDDR3 SDRAM - 512 MB

Sound Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221

OS Vista 64 bit

April 28, 2009 2:42:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Whatever it is, it's definitely NOT identical to the SupCom issue (I say that because I have SupCom and play it regularly and have never experienced ANYTHING like this.)

Though I wouldn't rule out that the issue is related, I still have hope for this one

April 28, 2009 2:46:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I submitted my stuff last night.

Any official updates, yet?

April 28, 2009 6:28:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah I also play supcom regularly and see no such problems. The game runs smoothly on the highest graphics settings. I also don't get the crackling sound that I get in demigod.

April 29, 2009 4:41:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

/nosound stabilizes my simspeed as well.  Running on Vista64 with a 4200+ X2 @ 2.2ghz, 9800GT, 4gb of PC3200 DDR2, Audigy 2, and an eVGA nForce 4 motherboard, which seems to be common in the this thread.

April 29, 2009 5:41:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi guys, a quick bit on where we’re at now regarding the sound issues.

There are two separate issues that we can see: crackling audio, and performance issues that appear to be resolved with the /nosound switch. 

Some of the cases of crackling audio look like they’re coming from a known hardware incompatibility between certain motherboard chipsets and PCI sound devices.  Based on the links in this thread, there are a couple things you can try if you have this problem:

1. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound card and motherboard. 
  2. In the in-game sound options menu, change the audio fidelity to medium or low.
  3. Lower the master volume and wave volume in Windows.  Some audio drivers seem to be clipping if too much load is placed on them.
  4. Move the sound card to a different PCI slot if possible.

As for the slowdown, it looks like there several possible causes.  Some may be related to the hardware issue that’s also causing the crackle—we haven’t reproduced this in-house yet, but there are enough reports that this looks like a possible culprit.  Any fix for this issue will probably have to be a code change on our end or by the manufacturer in their drivers. We aren’t holding our breath for the second option, and are looking for ways we can work around the problems.

In Demigod, we completely replaced the sound system with FMOD.  Oddly enough, just about the only thing left from Supreme Commander is the /nosound flag itself, and some of the wiring in the options screens.  SupCom did have some specific performance issues related to sound, but unfortunately I think anything we have here that looks the same is just a coincidence. That coincidence could still be hardware based, of course.

Some of the cases of slowdowns we’re seeing look like general CPU bottlenecking that’s not directly related to sound.  This is especially likely if you have an older, single core CPU with a newer, faster video card.  It’s not that the video card is slowing the system down--it’s that the video is capable of running so much faster than the CPU that reducing the CPU load slightly gives a big performance boost.  In these cases, anything you can do to speed up the system will give big returns.

Things you can do:

1. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound card and motherboard.  Seriously!  I can’t stress this enough.
  2. Run defrag on your hard disk.
  3. Close any background applications you have running.  Run a virus checker and a malware/adware remover to get rid of things that are trying to hide.
  4. In-game, lower the video resolution and settings.

Some things to try specifically for sound perf:

1. Make sure your speakers are set to desktop stereo, laptop stereo, or headphones (whatever’s appropriate) and not quadraphonic, surround sound, 5.1, 7.1.
  2. Make sure audio hardware acceleration is on (Control panel->Sounds and Audio Devices->Speaker settings->Advanced->Performance tab)
  3. Turn off reverb in the in-game options panel.  Reverb is a big CPU load!
  4. Lower the audio fidelity in-game to medium or low.

We’re still evaluating the reports as they come in—and thanks to everyone who’s sent in a log file and DXDiag report!  The more of those we get, the faster we’ll be able to identify and solve whatever is going on.

In the meantime, we’re working with FMOD to find ways to reduce the CPU cost of audio in game, and to make the audio fidelity settings in the options panel have more impact.  Ideally, the fidelity settings will mirror the video settings—low settings may now sound all that great, but they’ll be fast.

We’ll keep everyone posted as we get fixes in place.

April 30, 2009 1:32:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the update its really appretiated.

I got the impression (maybe incorrectly) that the game doesn't make use of the sound cards acceleration (EAX?) - I only say this as my understanding is reverb should have an effect on the sound card processor not the pc?

Tals

April 30, 2009 11:23:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the update.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time: