The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Running out of ideas for how to solve my connectivity problems...

By on April 20, 2009 2:05:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As a preamble, let me just say that I realize I am sure that I am one of the many with connection issues in multiplayer.  I've hesitated to post about my own issue, but after reading through the forums and Monk's excellent guide and still having NEVER successfully connected to a multiplayer game, I think my time has come.

Here is the "map" of my network setup:

*internet* >>> Qwest Actiontec M1000 DSL Modem/Router (with DHCP on) >>> Netgear WGR614 v7 Wireless Router (also with DHCP on) >>> Linksys 5-port switch >>> my computer

First of all, yes I have both the Modem and the Netgear router in "routing" mode which creates a "cascading-NAT" or "double-NAT" scenario (according to Monk's guide).  No, I do not want to change how this setup operates.

here's what I have done so far:

-updated the firmware of both the qwest modem and the netgear router

-ensured that ALL firewalls are disabled on both the routers/modems/software.  same goes for antivirus.

- Port forwarded the appropriate ports (6100-6200, 6073) on both the Netgear Router (using my computers IP) and the Qwest Modem (using my Netgear's IP)

- Enabled DMZ on my netgear (with my own computer's IP as the DMZ address)

- Enabled DMZ on the Qwest modem (with the netgear's IP as the DMZ address) - *QUESTION: I may have done this wrong- which IP should I be using for the netgear's DMZ?  The LAN IP of the router (eg 192.168.1.1) or the address that the Qwest Modem assigns to it (eg 192.168.0.4)?

- Changed the NAT on the Netgear router from "secured" to "open"

here's what I CANNOT do:

-Disable NAT on my qwest modem.  I don't know why it won't let me, but whenever I do I cannot access the internet at all.  So I have not been able to disable NAT or "relax" it any shape or form.

again, I have not been able to connect to any game ever.  Not in custom, pantheon or skirmish, and I have actually fallen asleep at my keyboard while Demigod was trying to connect to a skirmish game to no avail, so I have been patient as well! 

While I have received the "failed to join game" message and the "disconnected from NAT facilitator" error quite a bit, the most common reason I can't connect is just because I never "make the connection" to other players in the game.  I will check the connection status box and watch hopelessly as everyone else connects to one another, and I never make a single connection to anybody.

that's all I can think of right now.  I'm not asking for a miracle but I would like to try this game online sometime!  I'm at my wits end as far as my own troubleshooting knowledge goes, so any help would be appreciated!

0 Karma | 12 Replies
April 20, 2009 2:26:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You're running out of ideas because it's not your fault. They need to fix the game.

April 20, 2009 3:01:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*QUESTION: I may have done this wrong- which IP should I be using for the netgear's DMZ?  The LAN IP of the router (eg 192.168.1.1) or the address that the Qwest Modem assigns to it (eg 192.168.0.4)?
The IP the Quest Modem assigns to it.

You can also try directly connecting your PC to the Qwest Modemrouter and putting your PC into the DMZ of it.

Btw. you should always enable the DMZ on the Modemrouter, if you want to manage the routing somewhere behind (e.g. in the Netgear Router).

April 20, 2009 3:22:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@ themoth,

First, let me say what a well worded/structured post your OP is.  Especially since anyone can see the troublehooting steps you've taken and your attention to detail with regard to explaining the steps you've taken when I'm sure this is extremely frustrating is nice to see on these forums (VERY MUCH appreciated btw by everyone wanting to help you further! ).

Now for the "helping further" part.....

here's what I CANNOT do:

-Disable NAT on my qwest modem.  I don't know why it won't let me, but whenever I do I cannot access the internet at all.  So I have not been able to disable NAT or "relax" it any shape or form.

NAT and NAT-filtering are not the same thing.  NAT is what routers DO, however NAT-filtering applies to "how seriously" they take/do that job of NAT-ing.

What I'm talking about in my guide (relaxing NAT) is relaxing the level of NAT filtering being done.  Some consumer-model routers call it "gaming-mode" and you can't pick the level of filtering (it's simply relaxed on or not).

- Changed the NAT on the Netgear router from "secured" to "open"

^^^^  perfect example of "relaxed-NAT" option on/off.

As Spooky already said, really the Netgear should be placed into the DMZ of the modem (using the WAN IP on the Netgear).  Then from there you'll control all port-forwarding etc. on the Netgear alone. 

-or-

(yes I know you don't really want to LEAVE it this way......but for testing maybe?)

You could check your modem's documentation on how to turn your modem into "bridge-mode" so that your Netgear would be assigned the WAN IP from your ISP and not the modem.

Also make sure UPnP is turned off on the router.  UPnP (dynamic port-forwarding) has been known to conflict with static port-forwarding rules on some routers.

thanks again for being so thorough,

the Monk

April 20, 2009 2:07:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Alright. thanks for the kind and informative replies everyone!

I won't be able to try out these suggestions until later, as I have work and finals to study for (perhaps these connection issues are a blessing in disguise?), but later on tonight here's what I plan to do:

- Turn off UPnP.  Sounds like a given that I should have done before anyway. 

- Change the DMZ address on my modem so it properly reflects the IP address assigned to my netgear (ie not the netgear's LAN address I currently have in there)

- Read up on how to enable "bridge-mode" on my modem.  This is something I remember trying before and resulted in me completely screwing up our connection to the internet, but I think that's because I had not a clue what I was doing .  So hopefully I can be successful this time!

Will post updates, especially when/if I solve my problem.

thanks again!

April 20, 2009 2:28:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Does anyone else think this is WAY to much work to modify a system for a single game?

April 20, 2009 2:32:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Notahiro42,
Does anyone else think this is WAY to much work to modify a system for a single game?

Notahiro42,

Please refrain from "poisining" themoth's thread.  He is trying to work this out.  I commend his patience, and those of us responding here are trying to help him.

I think it's a reasonable request to ask you to keep your opinions in your own thread?  

thanks,

the Monk

April 20, 2009 10:03:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How do I add Karma to Monk?

April 24, 2009 5:12:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

UPDATE:

I've had some time to play around with my setup, and I've successfully converted my Actiontec M1000 into a "transparent bridge," meaning that my netgear router is now the only device assigning IPs (am I interpreting this right?) and I have eliminated my double NAT/cascading NAT scenario.

Bad news: still have not been able to connect to a single multiplayer game

I've gone over every option in my netgear router setup with a fine-tooth comb, as previously stated I have opened up the correct ports (and verified they were open using the PFPortChecker program), setup my computer's IP as the DMZ, relaxed all possible NAT/firewall settings on the router, and still, nothing! 

I'm beginning to think that perhaps my ISP (Qwest) will not work with this game.  It's disheartening, but perhaps it's best to just hope and pray at this point that a magical patch will come out to fix everything, as I've hit a dead end from my perspective after exploring every possible solution (that I could think of/read about, anyway).

Once again thanks for all of the help, I hope to see you online someday!

April 25, 2009 7:41:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Notahiro42,

Yes.

April 26, 2009 9:45:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bump

April 26, 2009 10:27:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

themoth,

Do you have TeamSpeak?  If so I would like to invite you onto my private TS server and I'll be glad to talk to you with regard to your issues and what further things we could try to solve them.

the Monk

April 27, 2009 12:22:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey Monk,

I don't have teamspeak but I'd be happy to download that.  I will get it set up tonight or tomorrow if that works for you.  Thanks again for your help!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.