The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

My review so far... (feedback for the Devs)

By on April 18, 2009 5:20:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This a very preliminary review of the game. For background I'm an experienced WC3 raider (Sarth + 3D Heroic Glory of the Raider guild), WC3 player (ranked on Azeroth), and a distant Starcraft player. Overall I'm a decent player at these kinds of games, not great but usually competent once I learn the ropes. Obviously I'm also a Blizzard fan. Right now, I'm a noob at Demigod but plan to stick with it and get much better.

The idea of a DOTA style game intrigued me, so I bought Demigod. And that's where I am. So here's my feedback:

1.) Connectivity: It still takes too long to get into multiplayer action. I've been able to get into custom, skirmish, and Pantheon modes and in each mode it just...takes...a...long...time...to...get...a...game...going. By comparison WC3 ladder games are usually up and running w/in 2 minutes after I click "Play Game". That should be a goal for the matchmaking logic of DG. Definitely needs improvement.

2.) Art: Fantastic. I love the style and execution. Has both masculine and feminine aspects that I like. Other than the rook, I think the hero models are too small. I think it would be nice to increase their size and visibility in a crowd.

3.) Graphics. I have a very nice rig w/ almost everything maxed out. Runs smooth. It's a little choppy on my older system. Light effects are nice. I love the animations and the monster/player models.

4.) User Interface: Nice to start with but I like MORE INFORMATION and utility. Here are some suggestions.

a.) Make the player hero icon and center bottom of screen a "targetable" icon. This would help Sedna heal herself by making her easier to target in a crowd.

b.) Add other allied player hero icons to the screen and make them targetable as well for things like healing w/ Sedna. I also would like to see their health status and mana bars just so I can have a sense of how they are doing. Also add more "character specific" icons to the minimap so I can see which hero is where.

c.) Add a "cast bar" to enemies w/ a label so I know what they are doing when they are doing it. The rook hammer can be easily countered because it is slow and has an easily identifiable animation. This is great b/c it adds information to the game and players can act on that information. However, the rook is put at a disadvantage b/c other heroes can't be as easily countered in the same way because you often don't know what they are casting. This also goes for things like using consumables.

d.) Allow us to ping or make marks on the minimap. Guild Wars had a great "markup" system for the minimap. Players need to be able to communicate to each other to coordinate maneuvers. Typing works, but is slow. Quick symbols, marks, or pings on the minimap would be nice.

e.) add icons for Generals for their summons and minions to allow better positional control. Overall it seems like generals are more powerful right now but as it goes the more unit control a player has the better. At the end of the game there are A LOT of units on the screen and a player's summons and minions are hard to target and assess their health status, etc.

d.) add a toggle "always on" health bars just as it is in WC3. I want to be able to see health status w/o mouseover.

5.) Game Balance:

My main concern right now is that Erebus seems a little overpowered. I'm not sure why or how because I haven't played him yet but nearly every game I've played has Erebus way on top for kills and field position domination. Maybe good counters haven't been mainstreamed for him yet. 

Also, is this a rock paper scissors game or all heroes supposed to be able to counter each other equally?

6.) Game flow:

Overall I like the length of games and they do tend to end w/o stalemates. However, it seems that once once side starts doing better (higher level heroes, enough hero kills to mass money) that the tide never goes back and forth in a meaningful way. It just becomes a long and slow predetermined grind to a foreseeable end. Warcraft 3 had mechanisms to allow for quick recoveries and there was a lot you could do to turn a game around. There were also ways to play "dope on a rope" and sucker the other side into over spending or over reaching which made for surprising turnarounds or comebacks.

7.) Gameplay and character mechanics:

I like what I'm seeing so far but I don't have the talent trees memorized. I like how there are different ways you can build a hero and I've got that point. This will take a little more time. As in point number 5, it seems some DG's are "player killers" and that getting away from them is almost impossible. Other heroes seems a bit ineffectual in taking heroes down. This becomes an issue because it seems as if player kills>all when it comes to determining the outcome of a game. Perhaps that is as it should be, but a game can't last if the choices in playstyle become overly limited. Also, if a particular demigod is not a player killer then it has to have some other really important function. Right now it just seems that a few player killer heroes dominate.

8.) Maps and hero "run speed": Either maps are too big or heroes run too slow. Please speed up hero run speed just a bit across the board...it just feels like running in molasses a lot of the time.

==========

Bottom line: I love the game and I want to help make it a better one if I can. These are just my opinions so don't flame me too bad. However, I'd like to underscore how important connectivity, user interface, and certain gameplay features should be focused on. It's a brilliant game and a great first attempt at "DOTA style" tactical mp RPG/RTS hybrid.

0 Karma | 14 Replies
April 18, 2009 5:36:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

All very good points that the game is lacking... 

April 18, 2009 5:40:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I deffintely agree with number 8...it's almost impossible to use the rook effectively in the larger maps without wasting gold on teleportation scrolls.

April 18, 2009 5:58:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do not touch the walking speed! It is fine!

If you increase speed, then it will be too easy to come back, heal and rush out. EIther waste gold on TP scroll if you got your HP/Mana low, or have a nice long walk back to base.

April 18, 2009 6:17:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

C. is also good for interupting with stuns. Honest review I agree with the things you've written. If you do not mind I have added some of your suggestions to - https://forums.demigodthegame.com/347590

April 18, 2009 6:21:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i agree with everything but the movement speed like IliekCaek said

the game is great but a few things i think would be nice are more maps and maybe a few extra large ones but just more will do

also an character management system where you can check your favor and what items you have etc

April 18, 2009 6:38:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

d.) add a toggle "always on" health bars just as it is in WC3. I want to be able to see health status w/o mouseover.

d.) Allow us to ping or make marks on the minimap.

Toggle HP always shown is a few clicks of Tilda key ((the ~ key)) this will show allies HP/enemy HP/ALL HP depending on how many clicks.

Ping is "P" then click on the map..

best of luck to ya

April 18, 2009 6:41:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Always glad to see someones opinion.

So far its a 8/10 for me. I love the gameplay, graphics, sound/music and characters. I think there could be more maps and a few more characters.

Yesterday i had some issues though and could only connect to about 70% of the games me and my friend tried playing at his place. But luckily today we have been 5/5 for playing games online. So hopefully the servers/network issues are improving (sure seems like it to me personally).

If they get some more content (maps, characters,etc.) and a map editor this game could be a 9/10. Also they have to fix the issues some are having connecting and finishing games. While im not having any problems online today, i did have issues yesterday and there still are alot of people having problems with the online. So hopefully when that gets worked out for everyone it will be even better!

Overall its been a rough launch, but the funfactor and gameplay for this game is TOP NOTCH.

For me personally no story mode,etc.. isnt that big of a deal for a game like this. And who knows, maybe mods in teh future will have there own story. But for me the character backgrounds,etc.. are awesome.

I personally love the speed of this game.

April 18, 2009 6:44:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for all the feedback, tips, and replies above.

April 18, 2009 7:06:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

These ui suggestions have been suggested pretty much since the begining.  Pinging and ally portraits to target would be very nice.

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/323188 is a thread with a ton.

April 18, 2009 7:17:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

About game flow and game's leaning to one team and never turning the tide... i've played 7 games, and 2 of those were come from behind victories.  I'd say the game does a pretty good job of letting you come back up to a point.  Better than in DoTA, where a couple deaths early on meant the game was over.

I agree with a lot of your other comments and suggestions.  I don't believe erebus is overpowered, so far I haven't found any obvious balance issues.

April 18, 2009 7:38:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i agree with alot of whats said

One thing i think that should be added is that creeps dont seem to play much of a role right now

If they are in mass numbers they can do decent damage to a DG, and they are pushovers that get farmed most of the time

April 18, 2009 7:56:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agree on a bunch of things there. 

Some of the demigods could use a size increase, make them stand out more, and seem more like demigods as Rook does.

Definately need some kind of minion counter for generals.  I find my self wondering quite often, when in the midst of a big battle if I need to resummon etc.  and a teammate portrate and coloured minimap icon would definately help with teamwork.

I believe hitting P with your cursor over where you want to ping, will do what your looking for btw. if that's what you mean by it.

April 18, 2009 8:26:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting dannylandulf,
I deffintely agree with number 8...it's almost impossible to use the rook effectively in the larger maps without wasting gold on teleportation scrolls.

I disagree with point 8, buy teleport scrolls!

That's just part of playing the Rook IMO.  Teleport scrolls are cheap!  $250 and when I play the Rook I make sure I alway have 1 or maybe two.  I think the key to the Rook is to attak a location and keep at it.  He's not a hero that is meant to be running around all the time.  What someone faster, play a diffrent Demigod.

Erebus does feel pretty strong now (he was the weakest in beta). 

• He's pretty EQ dependant, I.E. until he gets good gear he's not very strong. 
    • Most of the good gear that pumps you and your minions are expensive (3K+).
  • Between bite and bat form it can be nasty to mess with him as you often can not run away from him which nets him kills which give him gold/gear.
  • He's not very good at attacking towers and it takes him till level 10-15 before he can do so well.
  • Ranged attack + speed increases are key to killing him.
    • His default speed is very fast which makes him pretty strong right now.

Anyway I'm not 100% sure he needs adjustments, and if he does I think it should be small tweaks.

April 18, 2009 10:22:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A few things:

1.) the "tilde" thing works --- it brings up health bars. Very nice. On edit: in multi-player it seems to flip off or something. Wasn't as reliable as I originally thought it was. 

2.) The ping thing works but it seems you have to click on the real "physical map" where you want and it shows up on the mini map. A little clumsy design imo.

3.) It looks like there is debate on run speed. I guess I'm just used to WC3 run speed which seems a bit faster.

Overall, great responses and I like the health bars feature.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.