The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

interesting find in the manual regarding LAN play

By on April 15, 2009 4:20:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LAN Games
Players can also play on their local area network (LAN). Demigod has no
restriction on licensed copies on the LAN so go ahead and have fun!

So let me get this straight.  I can install Demigod on my main gaming rig, my laptop, and more or less do a LAN match against myself to screw around and learn the game?  It's not going to throw some funky error, or close down my other copy of Demigod because I've opened it up on my laptop?

Stardock, I think I love you.

+3 Karma | 13 Replies
April 15, 2009 4:28:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah I think it makes the game even better showing it your frineds playing a few LAN games with them and when they like it they can buy it to play online

April 15, 2009 4:29:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yep, that's correct. Stardock's always had this policy towards LAN.

April 15, 2009 4:32:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Have fun.  Play with yoru friends.  Tell them to buy thier own copies so you can all play from afar too. 

April 15, 2009 4:34:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stardock is known for having no DRM on their games. It makes people pirate them more...but it also makes people who appreciate this sort of thing BUY them more. I buy almost every Stardock game that comes out because of this (and they're all good).

April 15, 2009 4:36:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With a digital download version of the game, is there an easy way for me to pass this game around at a LAN?  I am hoping that I don't have to log onto my impulse account on everyone's computer, and downlaod the 2+ Gig file from the internet for every occurrence.

Is there a way to take my downloaded copy of Demigod and burn it onto a CD, or is there an install file or something that I can transfer over the LAN?

April 15, 2009 5:21:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Have you tried just copying the folder over? I do this with a lot of games and it sometimes works. Some of the games I had to copy over a profile in the users documents as well, I'm not sure with DG yet.

I will try to copy it to my bro's computer later today and see if it works just copying the folder over .

April 15, 2009 5:43:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Raspyn,
With a digital download version of the game, is there an easy way for me to pass this game around at a LAN?  I am hoping that I don't have to log onto my impulse account on everyone's computer, and downlaod the 2+ Gig file from the internet for every occurrence.

Is there a way to take my downloaded copy of Demigod and burn it onto a CD, or is there an install file or something that I can transfer over the LAN?

Right click on the game in Impulse and select archive. Then just put the archive on a flash drive along with the Impulse setup. You will need Impulse to install from it, but it'd save the download.

Edit: The default archive path along with the option to change it is in the Impulse orb menu > Preferences > Folders.

April 15, 2009 6:13:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Raspyn,

At a LAN party, players that do not own a license for the game are "transient users".  You can install your game on their machines for the duration of the party.  They will have to uninstall at the end.

You will need to install Impulse on each machine and use the installation archive. (Make sure to use the "Download and archive" option in Impulse to transer to other operating systems.)

April 20, 2009 8:28:17 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hey i tried to find the how to play Demigod on LAN but i failed...i couldn't find anything and in the multiplayer button i've found only the internet option.. Can somebody please help me and write me here a list of steps i've got to do to play the game on LAN please?

I'd be very greatful...thanks

April 20, 2009 9:34:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If there is no LAN option, update the game via Impulse.

April 20, 2009 9:37:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[removed by moderator -- we will not tolerate encouraging people to pirate Demigod]

April 20, 2009 9:55:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

Edit: The default archive path along with the option to change it is in the Impulse orb menu > Preferences > Folders.

Thank you, i spent hours looking for this.

May 8, 2009 12:57:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
You will need to install Impulse on each machine and use the installation archive. (Make sure to use the "Download and archive" option in Impulse to transer to other operating systems.)

Just a warning for anyone considering this.  In order to get the download and archive option, you have to remove Demigod and download it again.  DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME SOON.  I just tried, and after letting it download overnight, I tried to get my installation back by using "Restore Archive".  I got an error that "the archive cannot be restored" or somesuch.  I promised some guys at work that I would show them how the game played after hours today, and if I can't run the game at all that won't work.

Luckily, I made a backup copy of the game, so I copied it back it still runs ... even if it's just single-player that's enough for a demo.  Too bad, I was just trying to get a second copy so we could set up a LAN game, if anyone else had a laptop on them.

(I assume this is just a bug, so eventually it will work as promised, but as of this message it is broken and you will waste a lot of time and bandwidth trying to fix it)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.