The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod - Single player.. loves to freeze

By on April 15, 2009 1:46:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Pretty much the title says it all. The game performs horribly.  In single player mode, it takes forever to switch from the final statistics to the next game in a "tournament".  That assumes it switches at all and doesn't simply freeze solid.  During the tournament, it loves to freeze solid as well.

Give me a patch or give me my $$ back.  This is pretty much unplayable as stands.

0 Karma | 16 Replies
April 15, 2009 1:54:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can state that personally I haven't had any issues at all with the single player aspect of the game.  Everything performs really well (exceeded my expectations performance-wise) and I have yet to crash while playing a round or in tournament mode.  This is on a Intel Duo Core and NVidia 7800GTX gfx card.

Are you sure your system specs are up to par and all your drivers are up to date?  Don't be so quick to point the finger.

April 15, 2009 2:00:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's strange. I haven't had any problems switching to the next game in a tournament or during the game. What are the specs on your computer?

April 15, 2009 2:07:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core

3G Memory

Vista SP1

NVidia GeForce 8600 GT

1G Dedicated Video memory

April 15, 2009 2:08:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Easy there.

Before you start kicking and screaming, demanding a refund, allow Stardock and the community to assist you. You will need to provide the following information, at the very least:

-Your system specifications, including CPU, memory, video card, operating system, sound card/onboard sound, and any background applications that may be running, such as anti-virus or chat

-Provide greater detail: What is "takes forever?" What is your system doing while it is loading the next map (HDD churning?)? What do you mean by freezing? Does your system actually freeze (stuck at game loading screen, cannot ALT-CTRL-DEL, cannot ALT-TAB, mouse and keyboard not responding)? Do you experience sound looping when it freezes? Does your screen go black? Does the system continue to respond (mouse moves, etc.) but the game freezes and you must terminate the process? Do you get any error messages?

This sounds like it is an issue with your system, possibly the display drivers. Have you updated them? Is your video chipset supported? Is your system overheating? Make sure that your heat sinks are clear of dust (use compressed air) and verify that all system fans are working.

EDIT: You posted your specs while I was authoring this post. Do you have any AV software or background apps running? Is your system clean of malware? Feel free to answer my other questions above and perform some of my suggested steps.

April 15, 2009 2:36:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

sound is onboard

Nothing else is running in the background. .. no virus.. no other programs..  Just normal system crud.

Takes forever means.. I am sitting there for about a minute after I am done looking at the stats before it finally tosses me onto the next combat (if it does at all).

Sometimes, it simply freezes/dies there.  Task manager shows the program as "Not Responding". 

Thanks to Vista... I can always CTRL-ALT-DEL to get the Task manager. 

I run my system in a "clean" room.. I.e. I run a constant air cleaner.  So.. almost no floating dust to over heat.  I don't overclock or anything.  All of the system devices are kept up to date.

April 15, 2009 2:45:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

just to add to it.. It's pretty much a stock .. simple Gateway GT5674.  the only thing that was done was the upgraded Video card.

April 15, 2009 3:00:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Do you happen to notice the hard disk thrashing a lot when it hangs like that? HDD light going non-stop, making noise, etc.

How much space is left on your hard drive? Is it heavily fragmented? Do you have System Restore enabled? Do you have the Indexing Service enabled?

When the game stops responding in the middle of a match, what do you see and hear? Does the screen literally freeze at whatever you were seeing in-game? Does the sound stop? Does it continue normally? Does it loop? Can you move your cursor in-game when it freezes?

April 15, 2009 3:03:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm, this is definitely interesting behavior...my roommates and I are running it on several computers without seeing any problems like this (even a couple Macs using Bootcamp to run Vista), and I think that these sorts of problems in single-player haven't been very common, which is why I think people are suggesting that there is an issue with your configuration.

My laptop seems far less powerful than your computer...

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, 4 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8600 Go (256 MB), Vista SP1, and I am not seeing these same troubles.

Of course, if you haven't done so already, my first suggestion is to upgrade your video card drivers to the latest version.  I'm always surprised at how many issues this fixes, though the long loading-times seems weird.  Maybe there is just some incompatibility with one of your hardware pieces that they need to work out...wish I had some better idea of what the problem could be.

April 15, 2009 3:13:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you actually have a legit copy?

April 15, 2009 3:26:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Lol.. yes  I have a legit copy.  It's not worth the headache or other issues that potentially come with "pirated" software.  I havent' noticed my hard drive thrashing at all.  but..it's a pretty quiet system.  What I see when it freezes is basically the current sound track finishes and then that's it.  Only one time did I hear a problem where the sound is caught in a broken loop. 

I have a 454G drive (per Vista) with 312G free.  I do not have system restore enabled.  I am not sure about the system indexing.

April 15, 2009 3:47:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, try updating the following drivers and see if it helps. If it does not help, you should contact Stardock support and tell them the steps you have already taken to resolve the issue. It may be an obscure bug.

-Video card (nvidia.com)

-Motherboard (gateway.com)

-BIOS (gateway.com)

-Sound chipset (check Device Manager to identify it and then visit the maker's site for drivers; Windows Key + Pause key, then click Device Manager, and expand the Audio/Sound Controllers group)

One thing that worries me is that you upgraded your video card. Mainstream desktops are usually underpowered, so adding anything that sucks up more watts will likely cause problems. Your power supply may be responsible, but based on the symptoms of your issue, I doubt it. To verify the presence of this or other potential hardware issues, run a hardware-taxing game and see if you experience a similar hanging problem. Crysis, Supreme Commander, Fallout 3, and Grand Theft Auto IV are a few games that would help you to test if your problem is Demigod-specific.

April 15, 2009 3:48:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My game freezes right after the starting videos. It takes 3-5 minutes for the screen to come up, it freezes wherever the video ended if you click or let it run all the way through. I have only played 2 tournament single player games but that part worked fine.

I had similar troubles with other games recently with a bad HD that would cause them to freeze up, since I switched out the HD the other games work fine though so I don't think that is the issue in my case, but could it be in yours? Does your system lock up with any other games or just with DG?

I would say it is definitely a software/hardware issue on your side if the same game works on everyone elses computers fine. I would probably try installing with the same CD on another compy if it doesn't have the same problem you would know for sure it's a problem with your hardware/software drivers OS whatever that might be.

April 15, 2009 7:54:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ya, I'm having a similar issue. Game loads fine, not having any issues at all getting to the main menu. When I go to Single Player => Tournament => Continue => Fight! => Continue, the game seems to lock up more than half the time while it's loading the map. Sometimes it happens on the splash screen that says Demigod at the bottom and a little animated progress bar; the progress bar stops moving and it just sits there until I kill the game in the task manager. Sometimes it happens on the next splash screen where it shows the map it's loading. I have a dual-monitor setup, and can watch the CPU usage for each core on my second monitor, and at the times it freezes up core 1 is at 100% and core 2 is at, or near 0% usage. Then there are other times where it loads just fine and I have no problems at all.

*Update - On a hunch I did the port-forwarding and disabled UPnP as per this guide:

http://themonk.ca/Monk/Networking_and_DEMIGOD.pdf

Haven't had an issue since...so far anyways. Is the game trying to connect to servers during each map load even when playing single player mode?

*Update #2 - Nevermind. The problem is back again.

April 15, 2009 8:40:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I found out my problem I wasn't connected to the internet the first time it was trying to contact the server to check if there were updates and it didn't bring up the main menu until it had timed out.

May 2, 2009 5:18:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting NecoMachina,
Ya, I'm having a similar issue. Game loads fine, not having any issues at all getting to the main menu. When I go to Single Player => Tournament => Continue => Fight! => Continue, the game seems to lock up more than half the time while it's loading the map. Sometimes it happens on the splash screen that says Demigod at the bottom and a little animated progress bar; the progress bar stops moving and it just sits there until I kill the game in the task manager. Sometimes it happens on the next splash screen where it shows the map it's loading.

I am having the exact same problem on a Intel quad core. Is it possible that this is a multi-core issue?

May 4, 2009 4:20:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hello, I am also having trouble with freezing between battles in singleplayer tournament mode. Computer spec is:

Hardware: Intel Q6600, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD4850 (512MB), Onboard Realtek sound.

Software: Windows Vista 64bit SP1, background apps are: Daemon Tools, ATI CCC, Impulse (downloading games.. presumably not a problem) and various non-notable apps such as firefox/putty/foobar2000.

Only other thing I can think that may be relevant is dual monitor display.

Hope this helps, will post more if I find anything that improves things.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.