The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Neoseeker reviews Demigod

By on April 14, 2009 7:13:25 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Editor Choice

The reviews are starting to trickle in, and the latest comes from Neoseeker.com.  This is a real in-depth look at Demigod, and the best part…..Demigod gets a 10 out of 10 and an Editors Choice!

“I could shed tears over this blend of absolute beauty and epicness.  Seriously, start a Skirmish in single player just to enjoy the scenery, because there's no way to absorb all the details when you're in a heated match.  All the visual effects can sometimes be overwhelming when you're at the end of a match, and one area of the map becomes so saturated with different attacks and spells going off at the same time -- made my head spin.”

Read the full review at Neoseeker.

demigb-130431copy

+462 Karma | 25 Replies
April 14, 2009 8:05:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Doesn't get much better than that

April 14, 2009 8:12:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't trust that review.  It's great to get rave reviews but not when they come as fanboy gushings.

April 14, 2009 9:06:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A well deserved score.

April 14, 2009 9:37:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i'm sure many of us eagerly/warily wait for ign.  i already got the game tho, so i could care less what ppl say lol

April 14, 2009 9:40:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

giving a game with no tutorial and sparse single player content a perfect score is madness/sparta.

graphics even on medium settings on my laptop are 10 though.

you do learn a lot from your AI teammates. i wondered where my rook teammate was always wandering off too ...lol and he showed me there was an place to buy artifacts, regenerate my health and mana and to upgrade my citadel. i do wish the generals and their units were a little better developed though. the generals are a little too front line for my taste.

April 14, 2009 10:13:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i like demigod and all, but i tend to be skeptical when the have reviews on release, especially without really trying mp out a ton

April 14, 2009 10:17:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

10 out of 10 sounds pretty good to me.

April 14, 2009 11:19:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting icen9ne,
I don't trust that review.  It's great to get rave reviews but not when they come as fanboy gushings.

Fanboy gushing? hehehehehe you have not seen fanboy gushing/raging in a review yet. This doesn't even come close to that.

April 14, 2009 11:31:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This just makes the wait even harder for me.. gah... I hope the Online has a lot of players over the course of its history. I don't wanna miss out on the action just because I'm a broke college student.

April 15, 2009 12:01:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With such nice visuals the review goes on about, which it does have, can you make it so that we could look around the battlefield at the end of a match for screenshots and such?  It was that way in the first beta, if I recall.

April 15, 2009 6:04:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

10 out of 10? Wow.

Congrats to Stardock and GPG.  While Demigod isn't quite perfect at the moment, your efforts are most certainly deserving of high praise. Kudos.

April 15, 2009 6:39:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GenoZStriker,

Quoting icen9ne, reply 2I don't trust that review.  It's great to get rave reviews but not when they come as fanboy gushings.
Fanboy gushing? hehehehehe you have not seen fanboy gushing/raging in a review yet. This doesn't even come close to that.

The review doesn't even review the game.  Recap:  I love it, explains gameplay without analysis, graphics perfect, I love it!

It's just an extremely superficial review, by someone who clearly doesn't play games.

April 15, 2009 10:46:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod is truly a great game, but 10/10 is kinda pushing it. The review was also pretty gushing, I'd like to think a review can be somewhat critical while still loving a game and giving it a good score.

Then again, I don't give anyone a 10/10 for anything, (there is always something that can be improved, perfection is just a goal to strive for) unless it's just the mathematical outcome of making zero errors on a test or something.

April 15, 2009 1:22:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LOL you got all the math problems correct but your handwriting could be improved ... 9/10

April 15, 2009 1:59:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting imirk,
LOL you got all the math problems correct but your handwriting could be improved ... 9/10

More about writing an essay or a scientific paper/report. Things where opinion and interpretation of researched information matter. Ie. anything where there is not one specific answer that is correct and everything else wrong. (or incomplete) You want a 10/10 from me, you'd better be making a multiple choice test.

Oh, and I'm not really in any position to reproach people on their handwriting.

April 15, 2009 5:14:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Gamespot and IGN are the only website reviews that actually count.  Just saying.

April 15, 2009 9:30:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Gamespot has got theirs out now,  6.5 not so favorable this time around  -  critizing the network problems and lack of storyline/campaign mainly.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/demigod/review.html

April 15, 2009 9:38:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank god, someone finally digs into a developer for this new fad called "no campaign/story."  I think it's just plain lazy and I hate the excuse that people care more about gameplay/multiplayer.

Unless you enthrall people with iconic characters in heartbreaking situations, then people will forget about the game in no time.

April 15, 2009 11:19:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank god, someone finally digs into a developer for this new fad called "no campaign/story." I think it's just plain lazy and I hate the excuse that people care more about gameplay/multiplayer.

I hate campaigns that exist 'just because'.  Most campaigns suck and aren't worth the effort involved in playing them.

April 16, 2009 2:42:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

To the people who don't trust the review, I understand you, but I assure you if there's anyone to trust, it is Lydia. We work together, and she truly loved this game.

As for the person who says she "clearly doesn't play games"...just...stop...trolling. Please. Do us all a favor and keep your unnecessary negativity to yourself.

April 16, 2009 3:28:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm sorry, but she expressed her opinion about the game, and I expressed my opinion about her review.  I think she should implement more analysis in her reviews, because it comes off like she didn't even play the game critically.  That's not unnecessary negativity.  I didn't know that when you enter this forum, you enter the realm of the Stardock Hivemind, where we all must think the same way.

April 16, 2009 3:35:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm fine with you expressing your opinion, whatever it may be, just not in the manner in which you have. Why would anyone want to be receptive to that?

April 16, 2009 4:23:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dude, if you think i'm a troll, then just ignore me the way I and most other people ignore trolls.  I'm sorry she's your friend and you're taking it oh-so personally, but look at some of the newer reviews that actually critiqued it.  If anything, tell her, and help her learn from it. 

April 16, 2009 8:10:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with the "screw storyline" people. I bought Demigod because I wanted to play a multiplayer game. "Bla bla, you are a candidate for godhood, and you must kick ass to rise up" is all the story I need.

Too many times multiplayer games have ignored their playerbase and focused too much on the story. I don't care. Just point me in the right direction, and I make up the story as I go in my head. I don't even watch intros.

My favorite games include Quake Wars (Story: "Aliens are coming or something, defend the world/kill them"), Continuum (Story: "You're in space!!!!"), Unreal Tournament (Story: "There is a tournament... you kill people").

Just look at UT3. "Oh, we have a full story mode now! Whoopie..." Nobody cares. I want a multiplayer game. They should have scrapped the story mode with their high-res videos nobody watched, and used that time to make the GUI less horrid, amongst other things.

Sure, multiplayer games can have a little story to get you going, but I think a nudge is fine. Session based multiplayer games that reset after every session are awesome, but not very compatible with this terrible idea of a "cinema-feel" of a game. It's like GTA4 vs Saint's Row2. You can put on your suit and play GTA4, or you can have a laugh-fest dicking around in Saint's Row2. But don't take my word for it:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/312-Saints-Row-2

Sure, I hear Saint's Row2 has a story, but I don't care. I've skipped every part of it to get to the fun part: actually playing.

April 16, 2009 5:07:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Since the very beginning, the devs have insisted that this game was meant to be primarily multiplayer with a singleplayer that existed only as a training ground; this was only changed a little when Stardock joined the project.  No one objects that TF2 has no campaign... and most RTS campaigns are horrid anyway.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000922   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.