The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Solution: Graphics Gone Wild.

for ATI users with bonkers graphics.

By on April 14, 2009 4:45:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod ForumsExternal Link

you'll find this thread useful if;

1. you have an ATI card of some flavour,
  2. your Demigod looks like this;

this just happens to be caused by, a clever little performance improving, technology called Geometric Instancing being disabled on your card. it appears that the Moho Engine (used in both SupCom and Demigod) makes use of this, and it vainly tries to continue even when it's been disabled. 

as you can see; the results are amusing, but not at all useful for play.

fortunately, it's rectified with no further ill effects by re-enabling Geometric Instancing at any point in time.

now, if you're a sufferer of a lack of Instancing, here's a simple tutorial on fixing it;
  1. download ATI Tray Tools, as per my external link (don't worry, you can uninstall it later),
  2. install it (well, duh),
  3. you'll likely be asked to turn off some services (namely; ATI HotKey Service) in order to do something about low-level overclocking
    • don't disable them unless you plan on making further use of ATITool,
    • disabling them doesn't contribute anything to fixing your graphics.
  4. once ATITool is up and running, point to Tweaks -> Standard Tweaks,
  5. tick Geometry Instancing,
    • as an optional extra you may want to Enable/Toggle 'Optimise Pixel Shader Code',
    • someone (who helped with this tutorial, thanks goodgimp) found toggling this for a short length of time was also required.
  6. ???
  7. profit.

Tweaks -> Standard Tweakstick Geometry Instancing.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD,
AT ALL!
if the tutorial hasn't worked, make a new thread and tell us that you've already tried this.
i know i'm awesome and all, but leave your thanks to the Karma system instead.

[PS:] something that wasn't mentioned; this applies to the DG beta, AND to the finished product. it's not a bug per-say with the game, as such; don't expect to see a fix made by GPG.

GL; HF.

+37 Karma | 8 Replies
April 18, 2009 4:10:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome thanks

April 21, 2009 8:34:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I got an Geforce 7900 GTO and got same corrupted graphics, I have the latest Nvdia drivers.

When it happens you can hardly see anything, sometimes when you zoom in or out it gets a bit better and sometimes even dissappears for a small time.

I played around with settings no luck.

I downloaded Ati tray tools but as i suspected it gave me the message i don't have an ATI card.

With the nividia control panel there is no geometry instancing option.. Also tried Rivatuner, which also didn't have it.

What can I do to fix the graphics?

May 22, 2009 4:00:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Reconhell,
I got an Geforce 7900 GTO and got same corrupted graphics, I have the latest Nvdia drivers.

When it happens you can hardly see anything, sometimes when you zoom in or out it gets a bit better and sometimes even dissappears for a small time.

I played around with settings no luck.

I downloaded Ati tray tools but as i suspected it gave me the message i don't have an ATI card.

With the nividia control panel there is no geometry instancing option.. Also tried Rivatuner, which also didn't have it.

What can I do to fix the graphics?

I too have the same card and am experiencing the same problems - any help would be greatly appreciated, as I love this game, but it's such a nuissance to play

Cheers,

latot

May 23, 2009 3:54:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bullet,

The ATT link you gave us will not install for Vista 64 user.  It says it needs access to a low level drive which Microsoft doesn't allow us to have access to.

Is there another tool to use or some way to easily install ATT?

Thanks

*EDIT*

On mine (and I presume other's) Catalyst program, we do not have the option to turn on Geometry Instancing.  After talking with Dell for 2 hours, they suggested I call ATI support.  Too bad ATI is closed on weekends.  (supposidly this is a "known issue"[the GI thing, not them working banker's hours])So I scoured the internet to see if I could find anything.  Long story short, ATT tries to hook itself to a low level driver and Windows Vista 64 SP1 does not allow a driver that is "unsigned" to do this.  It costs lots of $$ to get the ATT tool to get a signiture, so don't expect it any time soon since it's from an independent person.  However, after a LONG search, I finally found this forum:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=275261

This allows you to install and run ATT (the tool the OP was suggesting we use).  I have since used this and got the ATT to install and turned on Geometry Instancing.  I spent the next 4 hours playing Demigod (yay DotA on steroids!)

*WARNING: McAFEE CONSIDERED THIS A TROJAN* and would not allow it to run.  I had to turn it McAfee off to run it the first time (I then turned it back on).   This is probably because it goes around the whole sign/unsigned stuff.  I'm using it successfully, but of course use at your own risk!  If I find any kind of reason not to trust this, I'll edit this post appropriately.

hope this was helpful to anyone else experiancing this mess. 

For reference I have the 4850 ATI Radeon Card and lastest drivers I tried were from 5/15/09.  (funny how this game says ATI on the back, but my higher specs then reccommended ATI card doesn't work.  Ah well)

August 6, 2009 8:45:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bumping this thread, because I am currently having graphic issues with the Nvidia GeForce 9400.

I have latest drivers but have no idea what to do

August 7, 2009 3:07:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am getting very weird graphic problems that I never use to have.  In midplay, the graphics go all blocky and the game locks up.  By minimizing and getting back to desktop, I can return to the game and continue, but the graphics happen again.  I never had this problem till after the last patch.  I played single player all the way through (tournament) with about 5 dg.  Now I am useing the QoT and I am haveing all these graphic problems.  Someone posted a fix for ATI cards, but I have a Nvidia 6800 with latest drivers.  I dont play at an extremely high resolution but these graphic glitches seem to happen more now and has made the game unplayable...  Guess I will wait for next patch to see if it fixes anything.....  Looked at some of the tech support forums and found that one sticky on fixing it... but it applies to ATI cards and I cant do what they suggest to fix....

Hope this is addressed.....

August 8, 2009 12:25:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For me it disappears when I alt+tab.

September 16, 2009 10:43:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Madmardigan83,

*EDIT*

On mine (and I presume other's) Catalyst program, we do not have the option to turn on Geometry Instancing.  After talking with Dell for 2 hours, they suggested I call ATI support.  Too bad ATI is closed on weekends.  (supposidly this is a "known issue"[the GI thing, not them working banker's hours])So I scoured the internet to see if I could find anything.  Long story short, ATT tries to hook itself to a low level driver and Windows Vista 64 SP1 does not allow a driver that is "unsigned" to do this.  It costs lots of $$ to get the ATT tool to get a signiture, so don't expect it any time soon since it's from an independent person.  However, after a LONG search, I finally found this forum:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=275261
This did not work, are there any other solutions? I would really like to start playing demigod again.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001000   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.