The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod is early

By on April 13, 2009 12:36:40 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1472

As some people know, Gamestop violated the street date of Demigod and released it last week. There have been plenty of discussions about whether Gamestop did this intentionally or not which I won’t go into here.

Obviously there have been some significant consequences as a result:

First, it was Easter weekend. And many of us had just finished a good solid 8 weeks of massive crunch and were looking forward to the weekend to recover. Instead, we found ourselves back at work having to turn on and configure the multiplayer matchmaking servers (we had enough for a beta but not for thousands of people).

Second, since Demigod has zero copy protection on it, it meant that that piracy on this title will, in theory, be maximized. Stardock’s position on piracy is pretty straight forward but to repeat it here: It’s not that we don’t think piracy is massive. We just aren’t convinced that it results in that many lost sales. Or more to the point, we don’t think intrusive, obnoxious copy protection will result in more sales than we lose from people who don’t want to mess with it.

Imagine if Demigod had shipped with some nasty retail copy protection and got released early. Someone “cracks” it but doesn’t do a good job and the game ends up crashing randomly or something. Most people would just assume the game was buggy and that would likely cause more lost sales than the initial piracy did.

The good news, however, is that we’ll get to actually see the effects of piracy. Since we know Demigod is an outstanding game with a wide appeal with equal retail and digital distribution to other titles that came out this year with similar demographics we can see how well it sells compared to them. 

Third, while the game won’t be on the shelves at other retailers until tomorrow morning, we have elected to make the digitally distributed version available today with beta testers and pre-order customers getting it immediately (as in right now).  Those who have legally purchased the game can get the 0-day update that has all the game play changes that the beta group asked for, multiplayer match-making, and LAN support.

I want to thank the Stardockians who came in on their day off (we are supposed to have the Monday after Easter off) to make sure people who pre-ordered got the game today as well as the beta testers.

See you guys online!

Locked Post 67 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 13, 2009 12:44:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you Stardockians! Sorry Gamestop messed it all up, but thank YOU!

April 13, 2009 12:47:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

woo first reply i also thank all the hard work stardock has done YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!

EDIT: aw crap the guy above me replied as i was reading the article =\

April 13, 2009 12:48:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great job, thanks.   Shouldn't you guys get good friday off instead of Monday?    Great game so far. 

April 13, 2009 12:49:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks to everyone that came in on thier day off. I'm sure I speak for all beta-testers and preorderers when I say that we all appreciate the extra effort you guys make for us.

Happy Easter

April 13, 2009 12:50:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Shouldn't you guys get good friday off instead of Monday?

The office was supposed to be closed for both.

April 13, 2009 12:55:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice, and booo GameStop...I literally pre-ordered my game on Impulse five minutes ago...will I be able to get the game "like now" (or almost now)? I don't see it in my game tabs or anything. Got the Pre-order recepit email though...

April 13, 2009 1:01:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i feel sad you guys had to work

April 13, 2009 1:03:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you all at Stardock and GPG.

And curse Gamestop for killing your easter.

April 13, 2009 1:03:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Could that be why I'm getting constant freezes this morning?

Every time I start up Demigod, I have to wait 30-60 seconds before the main screen will pop up, another 30-60 after I click multiplayer, another 30-60 after I click log in, etc etc. Sometimes it will just completely freeze and I have to close it with task manager.

This only started this morning.

April 13, 2009 1:04:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,
As some people know, Gamestop violated the street date of Demigod and released it last week. There have been plenty of discussions about whether Gamestop did this intentionally or not which I won’t go into here. Obviously there have been some significant consequences as a result:First, it was Easter weekend. And many of us had just finished a good solid 8 weeks of massive crunch and were looking forward to the weekend to recover. Instead, we found ourselves back at work having to turn on and configure the multiplayer matchmaking servers (we had enough for a beta but not for thousands of people).Second, since Demigod has zero copy protection on it, it meant that that piracy on this title will, in theory, be maximized. Stardock’s position on piracy is pretty straight forward but to repeat it here: It’s not that we don’t think piracy is massive. We just aren’t convinced that it results in that many lost sales. Or more to the point, we don’t think intrusive, obnoxious copy protection will result in more sales than we lose from people who don’t want to mess with it. Imagine if Demigod had shipped with some nasty retail copy protection and got released early. Someone “cracks” it but doesn’t do a good job and the game ends up crashing randomly or something. Most people would just assume the game was buggy and that would likely cause more lost sales than the initial piracy did.The good news, however, is that we’ll get to actually see the effects of piracy. Since we know Demigod is an outstanding game with a wide appeal with equal retail and digital distribution to other titles that came out this year with similar demographics we can see how well it sells compared to them.  Third, while the game won’t be on the shelves at other retailers until tomorrow morning, we have elected to make the digitally distributed version available today with beta testers and pre-order customers getting it immediately (as in right now).  Those who have legally purchased the game can get the 0-day update that has all the game play changes that the beta group asked for, multiplayer match-making, and LAN support. I want to thank the Stardockians who came in on their day off (we are supposed to have the Monday after Easter off) to make sure people who pre-ordered got the game today as well as the beta testers.See you guys online!

It's a shame what happened. Either way, I would not have bought my copy of Demi-God from Gamestop. I cannot stand them. They are shady, greedy, and extremely detrimental to PC gaming. I would not doubt if this was a stunt pulled by them in an attempt to undermine the PC as a gaming platform. Now, I'm not being paranoid, nor am I being too bias in saying that... but just look at how many PC games Gamestop stocks. Hardly any. They definitely don't care about it.

Anyways, congratulations on Demigod and keeping a level head amidst all this chaos. As soon as I get some more money I will be getting a copy of Demigod off of Impulse. I realize GPGs is making it, and I extend my kudos to them as well. I at first wasn't too sure about how Demigod would turn out, but after reading into the lore, gameplay, looking at the graphics, and hearing the testimonies of the beta testers... as well as being a fan of Stardock and GPGs... I quickly changed my opinion of the game and am very excited to get my hands on it.

April 13, 2009 1:07:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I was in Gamestop last Friday, and saw a copy of Demigod.  Thought _very_ hard about Emailing you guys, but figured it was a problem local to that one branch.

I find it very strange that Gamestop would A) break the street date and not even bother to have more than 1 copy per store.

I assume Gamestop will be punished somehow, going forward?

April 13, 2009 1:12:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well, it seems without the 1st patch there is no LAN multiplayer option, so I'm sure that will encourage a good number to actually purchase a copy.  I mean honestly, this game is all about the muiltiplayer.

April 13, 2009 1:12:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Every time I start up Demigod, I have to wait 30-60 seconds before the main screen will pop up, another 30-60 after I click multiplayer, another 30-60 after I click log in, etc etc. Sometimes it will just completely freeze and I have to close it with task manager.

Yes, all of those points are server calls, and the server is overloaded since we were expecting to only have beta testers getting on today.

April 13, 2009 1:17:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How DARE YOU release it a day earlier than you said you would?

Clearly, everything needs a nerf.

This is an unacceptable slap in the face.

I just cancelled my subscription.

April 13, 2009 1:19:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank you for coming in and mopping up Gamestop's mess!

April 13, 2009 1:23:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thumbs up for all of your hard work!

As an aside, WTF is wrong with gamestop?  First they release Terran Conflict (official US release) too early and now Demigod...... 

April 13, 2009 1:29:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would bring coffe and cookies to your office, If I didnt live somewhat 1000 miles away.

April 13, 2009 1:30:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I actually pirated this game last day and since it has no DRM and i love the game looks and gameplay and want to experience online play - I decided to preorder it for the digital download copy since I don't want to wait till May till it is available here at my local store.

But to my surprise I can't preorder because it is not possible with the use of PayPal, guess I have to wait till tommorrow the 14th

"Sorry, you cannot checkout using PayPal when your order contains a preorder product."

Yes, I am a pirate but I buy good products - especially those with none or not so heavy DRM.

April 13, 2009 1:47:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Balls...

Hate Gamestop.  Love Stardock.

April 13, 2009 1:59:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Say "thanks" for me to all the Stardock guys (and girls) that lost their time off to help the masses

April 13, 2009 2:00:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Digital distribution and publisher hatred of the used market will eventually drive Gamestop out of business. When that happens, I'll be celebrating.

April 13, 2009 2:00:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We should arrange a mild-mannered visit to Gamestop HQ with an assortment of blunt weaponry and explain to them what is meant by a release date...

Gamestop, Stardock.

April 13, 2009 2:04:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Gir92,
Could that be why I'm getting constant freezes this morning?

This only started this morning.

Yes.  

For the holiday, we only had enough servers up to handle a pretty small group.  

Today, we're starting to flip on additional servers and it should be fine for tomorrow.

The warez users won't be able to play much longer as we're going to likely switch the release servers to a different IP series in one of the next updates (which may be tomorrow) so the game will get slower and slower for them.

April 13, 2009 2:04:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You know, I dislike Gamestop but I REALLY hate the people who ran and bought it when they had a preorder here.

What do you think that says to Gamestop?

April 13, 2009 2:05:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

btw will GS be fined for this?  Pretty naughty (or plain stupid) thing to do.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001359   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.