The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod will not launch while COMODO Firewall is running.

By on April 11, 2009 5:15:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Xodus316

Join Date 02/2008

I installed Demigod, updated it and everything, and it would not launch. I eventually realized that COMODO Firewall was the problem. I have to close COMODO Firewall for Demigod to launch. Disabling it does not work. After I launch the game I can start the firewall again and everything works fine.

Pinned, Locked Post 15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 11, 2009 5:18:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This bug has been in since beta and doesn't work with supreme commander as well.

Do a search on comodo for some tips on how to disable some parts of comodo.

April 11, 2009 7:55:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Confirmed. You need to disable Defense+ in order for it to not interfere with demigod launching.

Open Comodo

Click Defense+ Tab

Click Advanced

Click Defense+ Settings

Click Deactivate Defense Plus Dialogue Button and it will restart your computer.

April 14, 2009 10:51:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Any ideea when this will be fixed?

Because we are talking about one of the best free firewalls and i don't feel comfortable with deactivating such a big part of it.

And i'm sure my pc doesn't either.

April 15, 2009 4:35:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This is why most security applications aren't so intrusive.  Intrusive apps get in the way of normal applications.

I really doubt they'll spend the time on a workaround, though I could be wrong.

April 15, 2009 8:42:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also confirmed.  A shame, too, because I love COMODO.  Any other similar apps that DEMIGOD would have a problem with?

April 17, 2009 6:02:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you use Comodo Firewall and have the retail boxed copy of Demigod then you should just launch it through Impulse as opposed to the shortcut .

I noticed my copy of Demigod wouldn't launch after clicking the shortcut so I loaded up Impulse and clicked run and Demigod launched.

Workaround if your shortcut won't launch Demigod:

- Launch Impulse

-Find Demigod in your games list and click run. 

Demigod should run for you perfectly.

-Jollyrigger

April 17, 2009 9:42:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It won't launch through Impulse either for me.  Tried every suggestion I've seen so far.  No luck.

April 29, 2009 9:20:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Confirmed again.

I had to permanently disable the defense+ component in Comodo, simply disabling defense+ or adding Demigod as a trusted application does not work. Demigod crashes immediatly on start up with it enabled.

April 30, 2009 12:22:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Update, I was able to get Demigod running with Defense+ enabled, by going to the Demigod.exe, selecting it and holding down enter.

Also, the DemigodStub.exe does not launch either with Comodo Defense+ enabled.

@Savyg: Comodo is as intrusive as you would like it to be. This is definatly some wierd conflict in the Demigod engine, since it does not happen with any other game, and I have 100s of games.

April 30, 2009 11:49:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

FYI Mine workes with Comodo and Defence+ fully enabled.  I don't have to spam the shortcut or anything.

I'm running version 3.5.57173.439

- Windows XP SP2

- Avast Antivirus (Network and Standard sheild)

I would have thought stardock would get in touch with comodo to sort out this issue, there are one or two posts on the comodo forums about it - it may be because demigod uses similar behavour to that of rootkits - obviously this should not be necessary so it should be fixable.

May 6, 2009 1:25:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

everything work fine for me with comodo ... dunno if it help but first time i start demigod como ask me if i want to allow this program to acces the web and i select always use this option and select trusted program. dunno if you can add demigod from there but here a path you can follow

open comodo... go firewall...defined a new trusted application...choose demigod

p.s. sorry for my english 2nd language

May 7, 2009 7:39:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Denominus,
@Savyg: Comodo is as intrusive as you would like it to be. This is definatly some wierd conflict in the Demigod engine, since it does not happen with any other game, and I have 100s of games.

Every security package has OS baggage, and disabling it doesn't mean it can't still cause problems.  But if I have to disable parts of an app just to get it to work the way I want it to I might as well be using something else, so 'as intrusive as I want it to be' is a meaningless statement.

May 29, 2009 5:54:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would suggest you remove comodo and go with another firewall. This is due to that (i dont remember on what) os's it is kinda crappy and buggy, it makes your internet connection a lot slower due to how it scans stuff, the info first goes through comodo and then get's throttled back again sort of and there is a bug with this that give a huge impact on performance.

But i think this is only in vista and probably in win7 also

May 29, 2009 6:18:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Latest version of comodo fixes this bug, the game will now start correctly when Defense+ is endabled

June 2, 2009 9:29:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Confirmed on my end:

• Vista 64
  • Comodo (Latest version as of 6/1/2009)

I had to completely disable Defence+ which requires a restart.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time: