The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

LAN with one CD?

By on April 9, 2009 4:55:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I haven't played the beta but I have been really getting interested in this game.  If I buy a retail copy of this game, will I be able to play it LAN with my friends with just one copy? We've been looking for a new LAN game to play and since Sins was so good LAN and allowed for one copy play I was hoping this would too. 

0 Karma | 47 Replies
April 9, 2009 5:49:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm hoping so, but I don't really have any idea.  Though, since DG and Sins are both Stardock, and you could do it with Sins, you can probably do it with DG as well.

April 9, 2009 6:10:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You will be able to play lan with computers that have the same copy installed since you won't need to login to Impulse to do so. (Unless they totally changed it, which I doubt they have.)

April 9, 2009 6:10:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Someone will likely track down the post later, but yes. Demigod is confirmed for having open LAN.

April 9, 2009 6:58:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The game is very very LAN friendly. 1 copy could take care of a LAN.

April 9, 2009 7:36:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sorry to make a big deal about this, but I want toss out a huge "Thank you" for this because so few others will. It's something I honestly wish would become standard, and it's quite annoying because it's not. I have a group of friends that I play with, it's annoying that we all have to buy a game for just lan. For online play and single player and all the other goodies, fine, I understand, but for lan at least let us have our fun! I remember the days of split screen gaming, which are sadly no more.

Anyway, continue to rock on Stardock.

April 9, 2009 8:22:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Aye, so nice when 1 copy will allow everyone at a LAN to play.  I can't count the times I've got into a new game that would be awesome at a LAN party, but it got passed up because most of the 9-10 people there didn't want to buy a game they've never played just to play it at a LAN. 

Perfect way to get people into a game, so maybe they will end up wanting to buy it after the LAN etc...

April 10, 2009 1:33:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Forgive my ignorance, but could this be done with digital distribution?

Say, like, I get my friends to download Impulse prior to a LAN, give 'em my login details and tell them to install Demigod... Would this work? Furthermore, if I were to do this, what's in place to stop my friends from abusing this, afterwards? If they like the game, I'd like to encourage them to, y'know, BUY IT. But if they have a completely functional copy on their PC already (well, excluding online multiplayer functionality), I suspect some of them would be less inclined to do so.

April 10, 2009 5:22:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

People who play Demigod at a LAN are people who like Multiplayer probably so chances are high that if they like it they will buy it for the multiplayer as thats it where Demigod is really fun, and if they didn't like it they won't but it anyways.

April 10, 2009 7:52:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Any PC game can be copied with a disc and given out if you only want the single player. Thats piracy for you

April 10, 2009 7:56:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can uninstall Impulse after installing Demigod, and Demigod will still work. So yes, if you install it for some friends, the incentive for them going to buy it afterwards is because it's the right thing to do.

-HM

April 10, 2009 10:17:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well thanks everyone for posting, if they come out and say for certain it'd be nice though.  I totally agree with you Cerulean and Thavian, it should be a standard feature.  Sadly, EA has phased it out in almost all of their games (i'm talking to you battle for middle earth 2). With other, more consumer friendly companies it's still hit or miss though.  I don't think any company really acknowledges LAN play in their business strategy.  With Sins, we've played it LAN a bunch, and more people have bought it out of my friends than would have bought it anyway.  Hopefully DG will keep up tradition, if so Stardock definitely has my money.  And to any LAN enthusiasts out there, let me suggest swat 4.  If you can still find it, and the expansion, you can have 10 player coop LAN with one cd, and it's one of the best made games ever in my opinion.  AI is great and graphics still hold their own.

April 11, 2009 6:26:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Istari,
The game is very very LAN friendly. 1 copy could take care of a LAN.

you forgot to finish your sentence there...it should be

1 copy COULD take care of a LAN...if it wasn't explicitly prohibited by the EULA

End User License Agreement

YOU MAY:

4. Use the SOFTWARE via a network, only if you have purchased an adequate number of licenses. The number of users must not exceed the number of licenses you have purchased.

April 11, 2009 7:06:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I called gamestop to preorder before I knew i could have done so here and they told me they had it in stock (2 days ago). I have the game installed and have been trying to figure out how to make lan work. Any tips? I tried hosting a game but no go. I dont see a multiplayer option that would work outside of Impulse

Is this a feature that will become available after "launch"?

April 11, 2009 7:21:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1 copy COULD take care of a LAN...if it wasn't explicitly prohibited by the EULA

The EULA is basically a standard one that we use on all of our products. The line you've quoted is referring to the practice of sharing a program from a server (without installing it locally) and running it concurrently on multiple machines over the network.

The more germane lines for Demigod are the first two under "YOU MAY", which authorize the installation and use of the program on two machines of your own; two LAN seats per license is the same rule we used with Sins.

April 11, 2009 7:22:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont see a multiplayer option that would work outside of Impulse

There is a Local Network option if you click Multiplayer from the main menu.

April 11, 2009 7:27:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kryo,

I dont see a multiplayer option that would work outside of Impulse
There is a Local Network option if you click Multiplayer from the main menu.

ok the answer to my problem was to update the game first

April 11, 2009 8:39:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If we chose the digital download option and take the game to a LAN is it possible to just copy the folder amongst the PC's or is there an installation file downloaded?

I plan to go to a LAN this week and just wanted to make sure I had a working copy to show off, maybe even persuade a few to buy it

April 11, 2009 9:26:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Let me state for the record: We support LAN play with 1 serial # whether it be via digital distribution or CD version. 

April 12, 2009 1:14:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have to say, having this feature really helps seal the deal in my book. Games that don't allow LAN play with only one serial tend to piss me off (I'm looking at you DoW 2!).

April 12, 2009 1:29:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know we say it to many times and its probably getting old but Stardock you are the best.

April 12, 2009 10:38:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

To the guy who couldn't find the LAN option, you have to patch the game before it is there.

April 12, 2009 10:54:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so that means that it's fine to just copy the directory right? to share at a lan... considering we don't get cd's?

April 12, 2009 10:56:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can you patch before registering a cdkey on a Stardock Impulse account? The reason I ask is in the near future I'm looking at a six person LAN with 3 copies of this, and am trying to figure out how to get everyone to have the same version.

And to clarify, since you said a 2:1 ratio is fine, you guys wouldn't have a problem with this, right?

And to clarify again, this would be a non-commercial LAN between friends at a private residence with no profit incentive.

April 12, 2009 2:04:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

is anyone else experiencing massive slowdown during lan games? even with computers that can run it perfectly single player?

April 12, 2009 3:30:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Chovy152,
is anyone else experiencing massive slowdown during lan games? even with computers that can run it perfectly single player?

Since the game isn't officially out yet, who knows?!

There was a slow down bug, but it was supposed to have been fixed in the patch.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.