The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Fun for casual gamers but also good for competitive players

By on April 6, 2009 6:34:55 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Rage Quit: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rage+quit

Dealing with disconnects is a lot more subjective than most forum posters often think. In any system that is aiming to have any semblance of legitimacy, the objective has to be about justice.

Consider these examples:

Example 1: Playing against someone known to be extremely good.

Player hits skirmish and the player cares a lot about their ranking. Players gets into the game and they see that the other team has some player who they know is really good.  They immediately quit. 

What should we do?

Example 2: Player gets into a game where someone has a poor connection / low end system.

Player hits skirmish and cares a lot about their ranking. Player gets into a game with someone whose system is so low end it’s causing everyone to run at 10fps.  They immediately quit.

What should we do? How is this different than the above example from the server side?

Example 3: 3 on 3 game where, after 15 minutes, 1 person quits and that person is replaced by an AI.

In a competitive game (i.e. top players) the AI won’t be as good as the player who quit.  The person who quits would get a loss? Or should they get a disconnect?  What about the other players? If the new team loses the match (as would be likely) how should it affect their ranking? If you say it shouldn’t affect it as negatively as it would have if the other guy had stayed in, then we reward rage quitting.

And these are just 3 of the dozens of scenarios that we’re working on behind the scenes. And I don’t even mention any malicious examples.

When I played Total Annihilation in PGL, there were all kinds of unbelievably scummy things players did.  And you can bet we’ve already added as many malicious scenarios as we can to our list of things that we have to deal with.

The hardest part though is dealing with the subjective justice parts. For example, we are probably going to go ahead and not count games for the player that exits if it’s in the first 3 minutes because getting an unfair loss is a much bigger deal than someone not getting a fair loss. Better to count it as a disconnect.

The good news is, as we deal with these scenarios, they won’t require updates to Demigod itself. It’s all handled on the server so you’ll just see it get better and better as we implement new scenarios or learn new ones.

+912 Karma | 33 Replies
April 6, 2009 6:45:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In a competitive game (i.e. top players) the AI won’t be as good as the player who quit. The person who quits would get a loss? Or should they get a disconnect? What about the other players?
4th Stat: Screwed: 12 times

Perhaps the game could once in a while report performance if that could be done?

I was turned off of online RTS when the first game I played, I joined a group of three in a 2v2. My teammate quit instantly, and I later learned one of the players was known for running two copies of the game, using a smurf to lure people into unfair matches.

April 6, 2009 7:02:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The hardest part though is dealing with the subjective justice parts. For example, we are probably going to go ahead and not count games for the player that exits if it’s in the first 3 minutes because getting an unfair loss is a much bigger deal than someone not getting a fair loss. Better to count it as a disconnect.

Problem of this is that it allows "Dodging" , lets say you are the number #1 player and want to stay #1 , you just leave the games where good enemies are in and only play worse players. Have seen stuff like this in Supreme Commander when they still showed you the enemies name before the game started.

Don't have a better solution for now though, going to think about it the next days.

In Example III, I think that if it was a random team the player who left should get a loss, but if it was a arranged team and his teams wins nonetheless, as in an arranged team you can be pretty sure the player who left didn't do it on purpose.

April 6, 2009 7:10:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For example, we are probably going to go ahead and not count games for the player that exits if it’s in the first 3 minutes because getting an unfair loss is a much bigger deal than someone not getting a fair loss. Better to count it as a disconnect.

That definitely solves problem #2, and it seems like a good solution to problem 1. Not sure how to fix problem 3, but the person who quits definitely gets a loss.

April 6, 2009 9:40:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The 3minute rule is both a blessing and a curse. If the other player has a low-end system then the other player can quite before the 3 minute mark and avoid the lag-fest.

However as mentioned above, it allows player to "dodge". Dodging is a common problem though, and without the 3 minute rule they would just disconect anyway so...I guess just take SS of dodgers and dont play them

April 6, 2009 10:18:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i think for acceptable disconnects, including timeouts, each time it happens, the players should vote on whether to file a complaint, which would affect the quitter's participation rating.  Their participation rating should be based on number of games full played (good) and mid game disconnects (bad) and displayed when joining a game.

April 6, 2009 10:20:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Weird work-around solution:  Hide the names & ranks of your opponents until the 3-minute timer has elapsed.

April 6, 2009 10:31:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with hobodefcon, the punishing criteria should be subjective.

The players should choose to mark to quitting as good or bad.

According to a certain percentage of the votes, the player is marked or not.

Objective rules never work when it comes to punish bad players, they always find a way to avoid it.

April 6, 2009 11:21:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Player hits skirmish and the player cares a lot about their ranking. Players gets into the game and they see that the other team has some player who they know is really good. They immediately quit.

What should we do?

This one's easy. Nip this problem in the bud by not showing the player's handles in-game in this mode. When I choose to turn the knob and open the Skirmish door, I can find a fluffy kitten or a grizzly bear waiting for me. This is my choice. I could be called 'Player 1', or you could use the random name generator that the AI uses. Only when the match is finished should I be told that Frogboy is the one that kicked my ass, wrapped it in a bow, and presented it to me on a silver platter.

Example 2: Player gets into a game where someone has a poor connection / low end system.

Player hits skirmish and cares a lot about their ranking. Player gets into a game with someone whose system is so low end it’s causing everyone to run at 10fps. They immediately quit.

What should we do? How is this different than the above example from the server side?

This one is tougher. You could write code that detects and rates connections, or you could go low-tech and simply give anyone a 'pass'. I think that 30 sec should be enough for most players to determine whether or not they want to play in that particular match. If the FPS is too low, I should be able to pass. If I join a game, and see that I will be playing against a team of 5 Regulii, I should be able to pass also, without penalty.

Example 3: 3 on 3 game where, after 15 minutes, 1 person quits and that person is replaced by an AI.

In a competitive game (i.e. top players) the AI won’t be as good as the player who quit. The person who quits would get a loss? Or should they get a disconnect? What about the other players? If the new team loses the match (as would be likely) how should it affect their ranking? If you say it shouldn’t affect it as negatively as it would have if the other guy had stayed in, then we reward rage quitting.

This is another easy one. If a player disconnects after this period of time, then it should be counted as a loss. Period. I state this as a user of a satellite internet provider. My connection is interrupted on a regular basis. I accept this because it is my lot in life. This is not the 21st century norm. Most connections are very stable, and most players who disconnect do it willingly, and should be penalized.

April 6, 2009 11:46:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

so much demigod coverage on the sins forum...and nothing from the sins devs...

April 6, 2009 11:55:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

no such thing as a casual gamer, you are a gamer or you're not

April 7, 2009 5:12:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

for Example 2 a draw/abort game option like we had in supcom could help but unlike in supcom it shouldn't affect rankings at all - draws made sense in supcom, don't make here.

April 7, 2009 6:38:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so much demigod coverage on the sins forum...and nothing from the sins devs...

This is the Demigod forums
https://forums.demigodthegame.com/345365

The idea of not showing someones name until after 3 minutes is pretty interesting. Its never been done before and could make the first 3 mins of the match quite exciting (trying to figure out if ur opponent is good or bad).

April 7, 2009 6:44:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I would solve all of the above with 2 rules:

1) A dissconnect is a loss, in ranked games you are required to have a good connection and enough time to play, bad connection people will have to get their connection improved or accept the losses, that is in no way unfair in competative internet games.  Other games use this system and people just learn to live with it.

2) There should be some connection speed/stability monitoring, after 3 minutes of play if this is below the acceptable level (hard coded) then the player is given the option to drop with no standing loss.  However the ratio of completed games to drops is monitored and standing is deducted if this ratio is too biased to dissconnects.

April 7, 2009 6:56:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1) A dissconnect is a loss, in ranked games you are required to have a good connection and enough time to play, bad connection people will have to get their connection improved or accept the losses, that is in no way unfair in competative internet games.  Other games use this system and people just learn to live with it.

Agreed. However a seperate stat that also shows the amount of D/C's (its just for show, doesnt deduct points or anything as they already have got a loss for the d/c) the person has done would be good for other people to see.

2) There should be some connection speed/stability monitoring, after 3 minutes of play if this is below the acceptable level (hard coded) then the player is given the option to drop with no standing loss.  However the ratio of completed games to drops is monitored and standing is deducted if this ratio is too biased to dissconnects.

I personally think everyone should be forced to play on low graphics when they go online. Since quite a few people would disagree with that, the host should be given the option to make all the players graphics turned to low, or to medium (maximum) or highest (maxium).

April 7, 2009 7:46:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I personally think everyone should be forced to play on low graphics when they go online. Since quite a few people would disagree with that, the host should be given the option to make all the players graphics turned to low, or to medium (maximum) or highest (maxium).

Why does it bother you if someone has a computer which is capable of running it on the highest settings? I hope that somewere in the future they will add a insane high setting.

If you got too low on fps it is you're problem and you will probably loose. Only problem i can see is people with slow computers where the sim time get's to low. So under 5 sim speed a lower setting should be enforced online.

April 7, 2009 8:03:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So under 5 sim speed a lower setting should be enforced online.

As long as Sim Speed never is below 0 it doesn't affect anyone so having something enforced at simspeed 5 (which means the game could run at about 3x the normal speed) is nonsense.

April 7, 2009 8:13:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As long as Sim Speed never is below 0 it doesn't affect anyone so having something enforced at simspeed 5 (which means the game could run at about 3x the normal speed) is nonsense.

I do not know what the best number would be, i picked 5, just to make sure that later on when more happens it still runs fine. Maybe something like 2 or 3 would be ok. But I expect some cpu room is needed, just in case.... Main point is that for online play it would be nice that no one slows everything down because of high settings.

But enforcing low settings just because of online play is too draconick.

April 7, 2009 8:36:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The thing is I often have a simspeed of 10. However, when I was running another big app at the same time my game started to stutter and slow down - it wasnt really playable. So I checked my sim speed expecting it to be below 0 (as it was running below normal speed clearly), but it was actully jumping between 3-6. There's obviously something wrong with the how the game calculates your simspeed and it probably "shows" it wrong quite a lot. I then tried playing offline (vs a.i only) to make sure it wasnt the other players that was causing the lag but again my simspeed showed between 3-6 when im pretty sure it should have been below 0.

Why does it bother you if someone has a computer which is capable of running it on the highest settings? I hope that somewere in the future they will add a insane high setting.

Because 90% of the people that put their settings on high are actually lagging the game down. They think that their settings on extra-high isnt effecting anything but its actually lagging the game like a ****. I have a pretty high end system and i used to always play Demigod on highest settigns and the game ran fine. However I decided to put it on lowest after a bit and the game ran even more smoothly. I had never seen the game run that smoothly so I thought how my game was running on highest was actually the smoothest it got to.

If you got too low on fps it is you're problem and you will probably loose.

No its everyone's problem if one person has low fps. It lags everyone, not just you.

April 7, 2009 8:36:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Player hits skirmish and the player cares a lot about their ranking. Players gets into the game and they see that the other team has some player who they know is really good.  They immediately quit. 
What should we do?

If you can resolve the other problems below so there is never a legitimate reason to quit, I'd count it as a loss. Otherwise, it becomes much tougher. Hiding enemy names can help prevent this, but it also works against feelings of community. I like playing against the guy who beat me last time and getting sweet revenge.

Player hits skirmish and cares a lot about their ranking. Player gets into a game with someone whose system is so low end it’s causing everyone to run at 10fps.  They immediately quit.

Ideally this is resolved in the software, and one person's system problems only affect them (client / server models allow this). However, if it cannot be resolved there, I would say the situation is twofold:

a. Don't let people set their system settings too high for multiplayer if they do not have the computer for it.

b. When a player lags either on the system or the net side, they use up their grace period, until it runs out, at which point other players can kick them.

Also, this should be solved as much as possible in matchmaking. Pings should be even a little more important thang ranking in determining matches, because I would rather have a match that is a little too tough than one that freezes every five seconds for the entire duration. Smooth matches are a very top priority for me and many others.

In a competitive game (i.e. top players) the AI won’t be as good as the player who quit.  The person who quits would get a loss? Or should they get a disconnect?  What about the other players? If the new team loses the match (as would be likely) how should it affect their ranking? If you say it shouldn’t affect it as negatively as it would have if the other guy had stayed in, then we reward rage quitting.

You could do an Arranged Team vs. Random Team split here. Arranged Teams win or lose as a team, regardless of connection status (so the guy whose dog pulls out his cord at the last minute still gets the win if his teammates win), whereas in Random Teams if a teammate quits early enough, you only take a partial loss in terms of ranking.

A few more thoughts:

1. This is an interesting post. It's very cool to hear the thought that goes into games.

2. A team vote to resign might help resolve some of the rage quitting problems. If you look at chess, it is considered polite to tip your king over once you have definitively lost. But yet, most games do not allow that, but make you either play a decided game, or knock the board over and run away. A way of saying, "Congrats, you've clearly defeated us," might help put a little more respect into losing.

3. I'm really glad you are thinking about this. Due to the way internet games work, a small but very annoying portion of the population will try to take advantage or make the game less fun for others, and developers are on the front lines to prevent this. By changing the incentives available, you can make antisocial actions a little bit less likely. My mind blanks for a specific example, but if you look at Xbox Live games where you do not take any penalty at all for quitting, but you do take a loss if you lose, it actually becomes more likely than not someone will quit early just to spite the winner.

Designing rank systems to reward any game you complete, even if you lose, but also rewarding winning more, tends to make that much less likely. An example of which would be Call of Duty 4, which you earn experience points for playing at the end of a round, even if you lose. Everyone eventually gets to the top ranks, but winners get there faster, so there is an incentive to do well. It also has some challenges, like unlocking the golden skins for various guns, which are tougher than would be fun for some players (1050 headshots, some of which are with inaccurate guns, to get the golden AK), but are optional and do not confer a mechanical advantage. It is a very well designed reward system, which I think can be learned from.

April 7, 2009 8:41:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Designing rank systems to reward any game you complete, even if you lose, but also rewarding winning more, tends to make that much less likely. An example of which would be Call of Duty 4, which you earn experience points for playing at the end of a round, even if you lose. Everyone eventually gets to the top ranks, but winners get there faster, so there is an incentive to do well. It also has some challenges, like unlocking the golden skins for various guns, which are tougher than would be fun for some players (1050 headshots, some of which are with inaccurate guns, to get the golden AK), but are optional and do not confer a mechanical advantage. It is a very well designed reward system, which I think other developers should take a look at.

I agree. The Favour Point System is basically the same. Whether you win or lose, you get favor points - its just the winner tends to have more (although I have been on the losing side with the most favour points). However this means people will get ranked on the ladder depending on how many favour points they have.

April 7, 2009 12:29:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BTW, one of the things we plan to do with Demigod is have Ladder "Epochs".  These epochs would mark different phases of the evolution of the competitive multiplayer experience where, at the end of an epoch we would create a new epoch where everyone's stats (rankings) reset. You would still have access to previous epochs so you could see who the top players were at a given time.

This way, it gives more opportunities for players to be top ranked and it gives us a way to reset the rankings occasionally when we've made a significant change to the rules.

For example:

Epoch 1 might only last until the end of May 2009 during which time we discover various expoits or rules that seemed good on paper but got griefed/cheesed.  As a former PGL player, I've seen a lot of cheesey lame tactics and I have a long list of such tactics that can be employed in Demigod.  

Can I assume I'm not the only one here who has played an online game with stats that's gotten annoyed that the developers overlooked some exploit and the top players were merely the people who had mastered them?

So clearly, Epoch 1 will be the age of figuring out the unique idiosyncracies of Demigod in on-line play and deciding, as a community, the best way to deal with them.

Then Epoch 2 might start in June and last the Summer when we figure out more things.  

And so on.

But each Epoch would be available in the Pantheon so people could go back and see players and such.  In the long-run, we hope to make it so that replays can be submitted to the server so people can go back and watch games.

April 7, 2009 12:45:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

These Epoch's sound like a really good idea. Ladder resets are always very important and I always see people begging for them in other gamers (RA3/CnC3 etc.). Glad to hear you guys have plans for this

April 7, 2009 12:47:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Epochs

That's awesome.

April 7, 2009 12:53:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ke5trel,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 21

Epochs

That's awesome.

agreed

April 7, 2009 1:00:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

epochs sound awesome.   I know some developers (namely valvue) pay very close attention to their game stats.   I've heard and seen notes from lectures based on them.

I think simply having a ladder system or something that helps stop elite super pros from playing total noobs would work.   Since its tied to a stardock account (which I believe has to be tied to their demigod CD key) I wouldn't imagine people would make very many accounts so they can just trash noobs.   Of course I might be wrong.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.