The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

SUPPORT: Solving Connectivity Problems

Tips and Tricks

By on April 6, 2009 2:58:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1482

Most PC games are client/server. That is, someone creates a game and others join that game. The data then goes from you to the host (the server) and then back to the other players.  Sins of a Solar Empire is client/server.

In Demigod, it is peer-to-peer. This was necessary because it needed to have the least amount of latency possible since your moves are directly sent to the other players rather than to a server first.  Because the action in Demigod focuses a great deal on Melee in the third person (i.e. players can see their hits) a lot of traditional methods to mask latency aren't possible. Peer-to-peer reduces the problem of "lag".

The downside of peer-to-peer is that everyone has to be able to connect to each other. In a client server game, many people have heard someone say "I can join games but I can't host them."  In a peer-to-peer game, everyone is technically a host thus greatly increasing the challenge of connecting players.

The solution developed is known as CVP NAT, a new feature of Stardock's Impulse Reactor development library.

So what problems can people have?  Below are the most common issues:

1. Windows may fail to create a local socket. There's a million reasons for this unfortunately and your options are to try to rejoin a game or try hosting the game instead. It's not terribly common but feels very common when it happens to you. It will be more common if you have an older router as we have learned that older consumer routers are more likely to be problematic when opening sockets.

2. Your ISP is sending your messages with different IP addresses. This is common in Europe where people have DSL lines that have multiple IP and the router picks and chooses which IP to send things.  It can also happen for people who have multiple Internet connections going.  For instance, I have a Verizon 3G Internet connectiont that's always on. I also have a Comcast line on.  If I'm trying to play a game, turning one of these connections off will likely help.  At Stardock, we have a thornier issue -- we have 2 comcast lines in which our router picks the one with the most available bandwidth to send out a particular packet.  CVP NAT has been designed to deal with a lot of oddball issues like this but it's not infallible.

3. Firewall. If youre firewall is blocking TCP or UDP packets, you won't be able to connect.

4. Windows failed to configure a local socket.  This is another one of those annoying issues that can come up. It's similar to item #1.  The best way to reduce these kinds of problems is to use Skirmish or the Pantheon.  The "Custom Game" setup in Demigod is the most likely case this will come up since it requires multiple sockets to properly connect players.
TIP:
If you know what you're doing (and only if you know what you're doing) you can load a program that's in the bin directory of Demigod called ImpulseReactorOptions, set up the options there and then seperately go to your router and make sure those ports are port forwarding to the right machine.

To learn how to port forward, see this website: http://www.portforward.com/

To learn more about what ports to open see this document provided by the Monk (THANKS MONK!)

http://themonk.ca/Monk/Networking_and_DEMIGOD.pdf

Pinned, Locked Post 331 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 15, 2009 9:52:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anyone with connection problems should also make sure to have the latest firmware for their router. I know quite a few people (including myself) where this alone has solved the issue.

April 15, 2009 10:18:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the_Monk,

Thanks for your help. You did help me get the ports right with Sins (I use a Linux PC as my router, so it's all kinds of fun setting up forwarding rules), so once I again, I appreciate that.

I'm not sure what posessed Stardock to come up with a method that requires a minimum of 20 ports to be forwarded. People have enough trouble with the one or two that's normally needed to host a typical RTS game in a slient/server situation. This is a million steps of madness above that. No wonder people are having trouble.

-HM

April 15, 2009 1:40:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've now tried placing my desktop in the DMZ of my network, but it still fails to connect. Absolutely stumped by this game =/

April 15, 2009 2:10:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I haven't tried this yet but these talks of P2P make me worry. Both me and my roomate are behind a NAT and both want to be able to login and play the game online together. If ports need to be forwarded that is obviously not going to work very well. Are we boned in this situation?

April 15, 2009 2:22:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Drec54,
I haven't tried this yet but these talks of P2P make me worry. Both me and my roomate are behind a NAT and both want to be able to login and play the game online together. If ports need to be forwarded that is obviously not going to work very well. Are we boned in this situation?

Drec54,

You'll each have to navigate to the gamepath\bin folder and run the file "ImpulseReactorOptions".   In that file you can choose the 20+ port-range (UDP) for each installation.  Obviously pick a non-overlapping port-range.  Then each of you will have a different set of 20+ ports forwarded from the NAT-device to your individual PC's.

Done.  

the Monk

April 15, 2009 3:09:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wish there was a solution for those of us without knowledge of advanced networking and related tpoics

April 15, 2009 3:15:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

same.

hopefully they're working on a simpler solution for people like us. if not, then i don't think i can get myself to buy another GPG/Stardock product.

April 15, 2009 3:23:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Please tell me how to make the steps in my guide found here:  (and in the OP)

http://themonk.ca/Monk/Networking_and_DEMIGOD_by_the_Monk.pdf

..easier and I will.  Give me feedback on which steps need more info etc. and I'll gladly revise the guide.

thanks,

the Monk

April 15, 2009 4:16:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A lot of issues between actually connecting to and starting a game could be cleared up on Stardock's side if they allow hosts to kick players who cannot resolve their issues though that seems like a kick in the face of the technically inclined (I myself STILL get the Attemp to Connect Failed error, but that just seems to be wierd, because if I try to connect 10 seconds later, it may connect, it may hang up and not connect after a minute, I do not know why it does that)

If it means anything I think that most people aren't having Firewall issues as much as just not knowing how to properly forward their ports (another more devious problem may be that the user doesn't really know how their network is used.  They may be going from a router to another router and not know it, in which case ports for BOTH need to be forwarded) They may be forwarding ports to the wrong IP which doesn't help them at all

http://portforward.com/

What really helps a LOT is configuring the ImpulseReactorOptions manual config.  If you can find 20 ports, test them to make sure they're clear. Here's a tool you should have:

http://www.portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

Download that. To use it just open it, plug in a port number that you have forwarded (either properly or improperly as that is the purpose of this tool) and check UDP (if you forwarded as TCP you did it wrong; forward the ports as UDP) then click "Check Me" and it'll send out a test packet. Either you'll get a green message saying the port is open, or a red one saying it is NOT open. If it is the latter you need to troubleshoot your portfowarding. If this packet is sent out and you have a firewall message attempt to shoot it down, then you are behind a firewall (duh but some people don't notice)

April 15, 2009 4:39:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

..easier and I will.  Give me feedback on which steps need more info etc. and I'll gladly revise the guide.

thanks,

the Monk

I have a 2wire 2701HG-G. Don't really see any actual "port forwarding" sections. There's an Application Support tab and it's set to DMZplus mode, which from what I understand is suppose to allow all incoming connections(?).

April 15, 2009 4:49:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting fsasota,

Quoting the_Monk, reply 8 

thanks,

the Monk

I have a 2wire 2701HG-G. Don't really see any actual "port forwarding" sections. There's an Application Support tab and it's set to DMZplus mode, which from what I understand is suppose to allow all incoming connections(?).

It looks like yours is similar to mine in that the "Port Foward" option is not explicit.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/2wire/2701HG-G/World_of_Warcraft.htm

That's the portforward for your router, follow its instructions HOWEVER please note what I posted was for World of Warcraft NOT Demigod, however you can follow those steps to get to the page you need. When you start putting in the Application Name, instead of WoW1, put Demigod.

make sure to select the UDP protocol.

Make sure your ports are 6100-6200

Leave everything else blank.

with that done reset your router, it should be available in your options menu for the router page.

use the PFPortChecker Exe I posted a link to above a few posts to check and see if those ports are forwarded correctly.

April 15, 2009 6:08:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I deal with forwarding ports at work all day ragedemonz you beat me to helping him find the port forwarding for his 2wire .

Hypersuper you keep saying you put the router in a DMZ I'm guessing you have 2 routers? What modem and router are you using?  Have you used the port checking utility at portforward.com?

April 15, 2009 6:22:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ragedemonz,

Quoting fsasota, reply 10
Quoting the_Monk, reply 8 

thanks,

the Monk

It looks like yours is similar to mine in that the "Port Foward" option is not explicit.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/2wire/2701HG-G/World_of_Warcraft.htm

That's the portforward for your router, follow its instructions HOWEVER please note what I posted was for World of Warcraft NOT Demigod, however you can follow those steps to get to the page you need. When you start putting in the Application Name, instead of WoW1, put Demigod.

make sure to select the UDP protocol.

Make sure your ports are 6100-6200

Leave everything else blank.

with that done reset your router, it should be available in your options menu for the router page.

use the PFPortChecker Exe I posted a link to above a few posts to check and see if those ports are forwarded correctly.

Ah, finally got it working. Played a custom game with a buddy. Pantheon and skirmish seems to take FOREVER to connect you to people, is this normal? I didn't bother getting a game that way since it took way too long.

April 15, 2009 6:24:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nope i only have 1 router but still cant get crap to work router is 270hgv-2 (2wire brand) yes i went to port forward site long ago lol still does not work.

April 15, 2009 6:39:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually i really have done the port fowards properly but i just cant seem to get a green on port checker and yes i only have 1 router 2 pcs connected to 1 router and it still wont work

April 15, 2009 7:08:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[quote who="hypersuper" reply="15" id="2143247"]Actually i really have done the port fowards properly but i just cant seem to get a green on port checker and yes i only have 1 router 2 pcs connected to 1 router and it still wont work
[/quote]

hypersuper,

Like I've said before.......if you've forwarded (not just un-blocked ports in the FW) the traffic from your router to your PC then what that means is....that somewhere UPSTREAM of that 1 router you've got is something else still blocking those ports.  (ie. your cable/dsl modem, your ISP......etc.)

Draw me a network map of your setup (like I ask people to do in my guide) and I'll be able to help you further...

ie.

INTERNET  >>  ISP  >>  cable/dsl modem >> router >> PC   

or 

INTERNET >> ISP >> apt. building >> plug in wall >> router >> PC

etc.

etc.

thanks,

the Monk

April 15, 2009 7:08:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And you select your computer then do the port forwarding? Do the ports open with the port checking utility, or do they show they are still closed?

April 15, 2009 7:09:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Could it be that my connection is PPPoE and not DHCP thats why im unable to configure it ?? can anyone clear this with me ??

April 15, 2009 7:10:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If your computers name is showing up in the select a comptuer that should mean that your computer is not behind another router.

April 15, 2009 7:10:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i for the life of me cant get this to work. the port forwardings working. followed the guides. everything looks correct.

i connect to every player when u look at connection info but, it just stays on connecting. i give up

April 15, 2009 7:10:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No PPPoE is just how the modem connects to the internet.

Sorry PPPoE is how the internet connection is authenticated to the isp the User name and password.

April 15, 2009 7:11:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In your 2 wire modem configuration (All that I have seen are the same) Do you see the select a computer option under #1? If it is there is your computers name one of those options?

April 15, 2009 7:22:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You need to select the name of your computer(Your computer might need to be set for DHCP if it is not seen in this menu). Allow individual application you should add your own user defined service for UDP ports 6100-6200 or whatever range of 20 ports you want to use in there. You might have to create the service then add it to hosted services I'm not sure the devices I deal with I put them all in DMZ plus mode. When you use the DMZ on the 2wire the device needs to be set for DHCP and after it is enabled you need to restart it or DHCP renew release so the 2wire can give the device the new IP address.

I would not recommend putting your computer in the DMZ though.

April 15, 2009 7:30:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yea i know what im doing for tt issue Virc set it all correctly just kindly help me check if you guys are using DHCP ??

April 15, 2009 7:32:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For the WAN connection? Or on your computer to the router?

For AT&T 2wire modem/router(I assume this is your ISP? I guess it could also be like Qwest or Verizon or something?), you need PPPoE Authentication to connect to the internet (There is only one DSL company that I know of that uses DHCP that's Embarq)

If you mean on your computer if it's set for a static IP and you can see it in that drop down menu I think it would be fine, but if it is not I would set to DHCP enable it then renew the Ip on your computer just in case.

Am I answering your question? I'm trying my best ha ha .

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: