The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

SUPPORT: Solving Connectivity Problems

Tips and Tricks

By on April 6, 2009 2:58:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1482

Most PC games are client/server. That is, someone creates a game and others join that game. The data then goes from you to the host (the server) and then back to the other players.  Sins of a Solar Empire is client/server.

In Demigod, it is peer-to-peer. This was necessary because it needed to have the least amount of latency possible since your moves are directly sent to the other players rather than to a server first.  Because the action in Demigod focuses a great deal on Melee in the third person (i.e. players can see their hits) a lot of traditional methods to mask latency aren't possible. Peer-to-peer reduces the problem of "lag".

The downside of peer-to-peer is that everyone has to be able to connect to each other. In a client server game, many people have heard someone say "I can join games but I can't host them."  In a peer-to-peer game, everyone is technically a host thus greatly increasing the challenge of connecting players.

The solution developed is known as CVP NAT, a new feature of Stardock's Impulse Reactor development library.

So what problems can people have?  Below are the most common issues:

1. Windows may fail to create a local socket. There's a million reasons for this unfortunately and your options are to try to rejoin a game or try hosting the game instead. It's not terribly common but feels very common when it happens to you. It will be more common if you have an older router as we have learned that older consumer routers are more likely to be problematic when opening sockets.

2. Your ISP is sending your messages with different IP addresses. This is common in Europe where people have DSL lines that have multiple IP and the router picks and chooses which IP to send things.  It can also happen for people who have multiple Internet connections going.  For instance, I have a Verizon 3G Internet connectiont that's always on. I also have a Comcast line on.  If I'm trying to play a game, turning one of these connections off will likely help.  At Stardock, we have a thornier issue -- we have 2 comcast lines in which our router picks the one with the most available bandwidth to send out a particular packet.  CVP NAT has been designed to deal with a lot of oddball issues like this but it's not infallible.

3. Firewall. If youre firewall is blocking TCP or UDP packets, you won't be able to connect.

4. Windows failed to configure a local socket.  This is another one of those annoying issues that can come up. It's similar to item #1.  The best way to reduce these kinds of problems is to use Skirmish or the Pantheon.  The "Custom Game" setup in Demigod is the most likely case this will come up since it requires multiple sockets to properly connect players.
TIP:
If you know what you're doing (and only if you know what you're doing) you can load a program that's in the bin directory of Demigod called ImpulseReactorOptions, set up the options there and then seperately go to your router and make sure those ports are port forwarding to the right machine.

To learn how to port forward, see this website: http://www.portforward.com/

To learn more about what ports to open see this document provided by the Monk (THANKS MONK!)

http://themonk.ca/Monk/Networking_and_DEMIGOD.pdf

Pinned, Locked Post 331 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 16, 2009 12:49:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, this is horrible. Game company should had tested more and know about this issue. I am uninstalling my demo and not getting the full game.

December 21, 2009 6:40:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hello there,

I have rather weird problem. I have no problem connecting to pantheon/custom games whatsoever, everything is smooth as it takes only few seconds to connect and can join every game, but when the game actually starts my packet loss jumps to ridiculous amount of 30-50%, which makes me disconnect of course.

I have forwarded both udp/tcp ports 6000-6200, turned off firewall on router and windows firewall, I'm using NOD32 and Spybot-SD as security software, but doubt those actually have to do anything with my problem and I can download from torrents without any problem.

Do you have any idea, why is that? Is it ISP related?

December 23, 2009 9:57:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Mortissia, its a known problem with the game itself (occurs to many people on different ISP's). The fact it hasn't been fixed after 6 months means...they still don't have a clue and you are stuck with it.

If its a major issue for you, i'd seek a refund.

December 24, 2009 6:55:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh yeah just read it more thoroughly, I'm unfortunate ADSL owner , it's shame tho' such a nice game, well thanks for advice and happy X-mass .)

January 4, 2010 4:08:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In every single multiplayer game i have played i have had the same problem... i have good pings to all players, (under 200), my pc is far more than adequate, and still i lag the game... iv checked, and players have told me that when i leave it is resolved. what could be causing this chugging effect? i get freezes between frames and i even minimalized all the graphics options in an attempt to resolve it... any advice?

January 4, 2010 6:37:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

^^ with sim at 10 by the way...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time: