The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

{Complaint} Idea not wroking

By on April 2, 2009 6:59:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have been playing Demigod since the first beta came out and at that time I loved it. But something has changed, it's not as fun anymmore. The main reason that I find is that the matchess pretty much require maybe 5 minutes before the victors are decided. I of course have been on both the winning and the loosing side, so it's not just me out right whining. I never really have intense close matches any more, it's always one side where someone will get two levels above the others and then the side ahead stays ahead indeffinetly until the end of the game, so it kind of feels like 30 minutes of pain, although it's a lot better when you are winning, it gets kind of boring because they become so easy to kill. So it seems to me that maybe it's the leveling, or the amount of gold that each side is getting but either way something needs to change. Still maybe I'm not playing enough to find these great intense close matches.

0 Karma | 11 Replies
April 2, 2009 10:42:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Without pin pointing the problem and giving a solution there is little Stardock/GPG can do

April 3, 2009 5:20:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Example: In Street Fighter 4, when you're about to lose, your enemy generally takes more damage than you. This is to ensure most matches become very even, and it is not 100% decided who wins the round, right until the very last second. The upside to this, however, is, when you're getting very good at this game, and you can make the small technique specific attacks/blocks, you get a miniscule advantage over your opponent, and your percentage chance of winning gets considerably higher.

This can be applied to the game, to make a more even match the whole game through.

The same principle; are you perhaps 2 levels higher than your opponent (don't know how that should be made when it's 4v4 though), your opponent takes slightly less damage from your Demigod's attacks. You should, obviously, still have an advantage over him, but this advantage could be made a little smaller than it is now.

All of this comes at an expense. People around here have talked about Demigod's potential of being a great eSport game, but if this "feature" gets implemented, the whole idea of a players skill, becomes less dominant, and even though you're a great player, there would be no way to really dominate your enemy.

April 3, 2009 5:21:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Xan25, i agree with you!

I play since Beta 2 and it was really fun.

I am also not really sure what happend, but Beta 3 is not so much fun anymore.

One point for me is:

The whole game mechanik is too complicated.  Work with flags, citadel, items, upgrades, gold (did i miss one?) is eventually to much. And it feels strange.

Maybe one point is that in Beta 2 the different creeps had not to be upgraded, thay came out simutaniously.

Right now, the battle feels more like just capture flags.

April 3, 2009 5:53:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well... We might not be able to pin point the problem, but I wonder, if we/Stardock/GPG start to reassess the way experience and gold bonuses from Demigod kills are currently handled, perhaps we could at least lessen the overall effect of what Xan is talking about.

Presently, if one side gains a significant advantage in Demigod VS Demigod combat, they can continue to ride that wave until the end of the match, by repeatedly stomping on the enemy Demigods, and gaining huge chunks of experience and gold each time they do so. But what if we stop them from gaining these bonuses after a certain point? Let's say, after a certain number of consecutive kills, we start to logarythmically decrease the experience/gold bonuses they would normally gain from farming the enemy Demigods. This wouldn't exactly STOP one team from totally mauling the other, but it would stop them from becoming even MORE POWERFUL from doing it ad nauseam. This may open up a window of opportunity for the opposing team, giving them the chance to make up some ground.

This... might... also add another (minor) facet of strategic depth to the game. If one team is repeatedly ganking the other, eventually the bonuses gained from killing Demigods (for the dominant team) would become worthless compared to the effort required. So the dominant team would have to reassess their strategy of farming the enemy for gold, and instead focus on battlefield/flag control, or tower sieging to continue their advancement. This refocusing of attention has a small chance of giving the losing team a leg up, in that they may be able to gang up on single Demigods who may feel the tendancy to split off from their teammates to cover more ground and capture more flags at one time.

Thoughts? Opinions? Flames?

April 3, 2009 7:07:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First of all comebacks are VERY possible in this game. Ive had LOTS of matches with good players where one side is winning first, then the other would make a comeback and then it would switch again. I think as player skill goes and you get better at the game, you will find its not so much a problem of that as soon as one player starts winning the match is over.

A good example would be that match between Me + Shredders vs Ultimeh + Wagnard. We were winning 3-0 in terms of kills - deaths, and then we ended up losing something like 13-4. Ive seen this hqappen lots of times.

And I certainly dont like the idea of this players losing their advatage (or a bit of it) when they are ahead. Players should not be punished for getting ahead of the other team. Its like ANY (or most) other RTS game. Example - AoK (age of kings) match, 1v1. One player gets off to good a start by getting map control/raiding well. The player that is winning will have an advantage at this point, and it will be harder for the player that is losing to win. But its only his fault he is losing, no one elses, he shouldnt be given an easier time by weakening the other player as he earned that advatage.

And its like any game, yes, the winning player/team will have a pretty big advantage. Even look at sports, someone is 2-0 up, who is more likely to win? I think the wide misconception here is that comebacks are impossible in this game and once first kill has been drawn, its over. Im pretty sure I know why you think this though. Its because the better team gets the first few kills, and so since they are better, you will most likely not beat them whether they are head of you or not.

This... might... also add another (minor) facet of strategic depth to the game. If one team is repeatedly ganking the other, eventually the bonuses gained from killing Demigods (for the dominant team) would become worthless compared to the effort required. So the dominant team would have to reassess their strategy of farming the enemy for gold, and instead focus on battlefield/flag control, or tower sieging to continue their advancement. This refocusing of attention has a small chance of giving the losing team a leg up, in that they may be able to gang up on single Demigods who may feel the tendancy to split off from their teammates to cover more ground and capture more flags at one time.

This is already in...to a certain extent. The winning team will usually be a higher level, and so killing lower levels will get you less gold than at higher levels. (level 1 kill = like 500-1k gold I think?, level 20 is probably around 2k or more).

April 3, 2009 11:13:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Comebacks still do happen.

I was playing a 2 on 2.  My team was getting demolished in kills, and we were losing in levels.  However, we made a relatively early investment into giants.  The giants ultimately destroyed their citadel before the two uber heroes that we were facing could destroy ours.  Was a very close game, indeed.

April 3, 2009 11:22:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I haven't even played the game, I'm just throwing ideas in. I'm not a fan of the whole "losing their advantage (or a bit of it)"-thing, I'm just saying how it could be worked around.

April 3, 2009 12:56:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll be interested to see if Lilakuh and Xan feel the same way after release.  Less than two weeks til we get a lot of new blood. 

I've definitely seen momentum shift in this game.  It will be more common in ladder games against consistently good, organized teams. 

Right now in Beta PUGs a team of good players will rarely go up against an evenly matched team, so the momentum is there for a reason - one team is better.

April 3, 2009 2:35:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Too early / players don't have enough experience with the game to come to this extreme of a conclusion.

April 3, 2009 2:52:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm not so worried about the final product; it seems to me like it's going to work out and be fun, it just feels like theres been a huge drop in how much I, and a few friends, enjoy the game. I just wish I could figure out what happened between the start and now that has changed the level of fun that I get from this game.

April 3, 2009 3:18:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think our point (Xan25 and mine) is not about losing so much or not to stand a chance against good players.

Just some of the basic cool feeling of playing Demigod in the beginning changed with Beta3.

We named some points but it is not easy to get it.

Sorry, maybe no productiv discussion can follow here.

I still looking forward  for the release Version.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.