The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Getting the best Demigod experience

By on April 2, 2009 12:52:04 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
IMG_6136

This is a picture of my very silly daughter, Ashley.  She is 2.5 years old.

If you want to have a good experience with Demigod, here are some suggestions:

1. If your router is older than Ashley, consider getting a new one.
  2. If your video card is older than Ashley, consider getting a new one.
  3. If you run dxdiag.exe and you see dates on drivers that are older than Ashley, update them.
+912 Karma | 44 Replies
April 2, 2009 11:04:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

EDIT - IMPORTANT NOTE - DO NOT SEARCH HUGE HAMMER IN GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH WITH SAFE SEARCH OFF

Good advice.

lolssss

April 2, 2009 11:08:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

shud have listened to mum when she told me to leave safe search on...lol

April 3, 2009 12:32:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Not necessarily. It's not just about opening ports and such. A lot of older routers simply don't handle sockets correctly or just do other flakey, bugey stuff. A router, is, in effect, a little PC and the software on the consumer ones is often very buggy that has gotten a lot better over the years.

Yeah, I know that (and I should, since one of the things I work with is networking ). What I meant is: supposing my router treats packets as it should, then opening the right ports would work, wouldn't it? And that wouldn't even require a NAT facilitator...

In any case, are you planning on publishing a list of tested/recommended routers? I think it would definitely help a lot, so consider this a request. And thanks in advance.

April 3, 2009 1:21:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,

EDIT - IMPORTANT NOTE - DO NOT SEARCH HUGE HAMMER IN GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH WITH SAFE SEARCH OFF

Oh man.  That had me rolling

Ahem, damn you Dalzk and your extra [] in your name, messing up my quote tags!

April 3, 2009 3:56:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can overclock my router's CPU . Of course it would frazzle. Actually I think the mod chip in my Nintendo DS is clocked higher - perhaps I should install DDWRT on that.

April 3, 2009 5:02:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting WolfoxBR,
I have a DLink DI-524 and I have no idea if you would consider it new, old, or crappy.

I have the same router and it works fine with demigod. Just make sure you have the latest firmware (v2.07).

April 3, 2009 6:12:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like this developer. Very down to earth. Ashley rocks!!!

April 3, 2009 6:32:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sadnasser,
I like this developer Founder and Owner of Stardock. Very down to earth. Ashley rocks!!!

Fixed.

April 6, 2009 10:37:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

What I meant is: supposing my router treats packets as it should, then opening the right ports would work, wouldn't it? And that wouldn't even require a NAT facilitator...

If your router is working as it should, opening the ports wouldn't even be required.  The issue arises when the router can't/won't handle the numerous socket connections between you and the other players.  Unfortunately, routers don't usually come with an option to adjust this number.

The second issue will be that even though you may have opened the necessary ports and done what you can to pave the way for the wonderful Demigod packets, that doesn't mean the other player have (thus the need still for a NAT facilitator).  If someone in the game you're joining is not on a "friendly" network connection, it can cause problems for the group.

April 6, 2009 11:00:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

My video card is around the 2 year old mark. It handles Demigod *okay*, but that Anti-Aliasing box sure would be nice to tick.

Already considering a new one anyway but there's approximately 4702 models that would be upgrades for me. And just buying the most expensive one doesn't always work!

April 7, 2009 10:53:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Something is bothering me though. Ashley will age. Does that mean the threshold for old routers is dynamic? Or is there another daughter in the pipeline for a similar post for the next game? You need to plan these things ahead, you know.

April 7, 2009 1:00:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Something is bothering me though. Ashley will age. Does that mean the threshold for old routers is dynamic? Or is there another daughter in the pipeline for a similar post for the next game? You need to plan these things ahead, you know.

rofl

April 8, 2009 9:41:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heavenfall, I'd give you some Karma for that lovely comment but the forum doesn't seem to be working

April 9, 2009 8:09:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oooh...That would explain a lot. I thought everyone just really sucked at quoting

April 9, 2009 1:22:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting AC DalzK,

Oooh...That would explain a lot. I thought everyone just really sucked at quoting

hahahaha, no. Someone else was having that problem, although I forget who. I always just take out the brackets if I quote you, Dalzk (as you can see above)

April 9, 2009 2:22:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Threshold would be the same.  2.5 year old routers now will be 3.5 year old routers a year from now when she's 3.5 years old. 

I'm sure we'll find some other child measurement for Elemental.

April 12, 2009 7:40:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy.. you are absolutely right.  I work as an IT consultant for many companies.. and older routers are complete and utter crap.  They freeze, they overheat, they can't load balance properly, can't handle bit torrent and sometimes the firmware gets corrupted.  The two worst routers that come to mine are the first iteration of the linksys router and the dlink 524 (what a piece of garbage)

April 12, 2009 8:41:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

When the Demigod beta first began, playing the game on my computer was like waiting for lightning to strike again before anything would move.  I decided to upgrade my video card.  My motherboard didn't have a pci slot so I upgraded my motherboard.  Needed new memory to be compatible, and, realized my power supply didn't have the correct connections for the video card.  I figured, what the heck, may as well get a bigger hard drive.  So, now I have a nice new computer.  Through it all I have not had any problem with my old Linksys WRT54GS router although I did upgrade the firmware for other reasons.  I have been able to play the game fine since, (besides losing all those 3v1 or 4v1 games in the Pantheon).  Would a different router make much difference?  (I know it won't help me with my game stats )

April 12, 2009 11:06:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting NrseBiker,
When the Demigod beta first began, playing the game on my computer was like waiting for lightning to strike again before anything would move.  I decided to upgrade my video card.  My motherboard didn't have a pci slot so I upgraded my motherboard.  Needed new memory to be compatible, and, realized my power supply didn't have the correct connections for the video card.  I figured, what the heck, may as well get a bigger hard drive.  So, now I have a nice new computer.  Through it all I have not had any problem with my old Linksys WRT54GS router although I did upgrade the firmware for other reasons.  I have been able to play the game fine since, (besides losing all those 3v1 or 4v1 games in the Pantheon).  Would a different router make much difference?  (I know it won't help me with my game stats )

If your router is working fine... don't replace it.

on another note: Congratz on the new computer!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.