The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What to do with an old printer?

By on March 30, 2009 8:20:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I have a very old inkjet printer that I don't use anymore. The print quality is terrible, cartridges are getting hard to find, and I don't know of anyone who would conceivably want it. My first idea was to just dump it by the curb, but I was wondering if there might be a better, more creative solution.

Does anyone know of an alternative use for an old Canon S400 inkjet printer, or a way to use the parts to do something interesting? The more mad scientist-y the idea, the better.

I also have an old 15" CRT monitor that doesn't work. I don't know why it doesn't work, but if it's just a loose wire somewhere, well, there's got to be something fun I can do with an electron beam.

+13 Karma | 7 Replies
March 30, 2009 8:23:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Drop them by Goodwill and you can use their value as a tax deduction, if your in the States.

They actually sell alot of computer related materials there. Mostly junk, though.

March 30, 2009 8:29:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Take it apart and make some cylons

March 30, 2009 8:38:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

to CarGuy.

March 30, 2009 9:02:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was going to say Freecycle it http://www.freecycle.org/ but you don't get a tax write off then.  Might be careful about the 15" CRT monitor if you donate it to the Goodwill -- my local Goodwill wouldn't take my old computer monitors; they said they were too old, that anything made before 2003 they reject and I forget exactly why, but I put them on Freecycle and they were gone before the sun went down. 

March 30, 2009 9:04:22 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

InkJet, sounds to me like a perfectly good bomber plane. Paint a bullseye on the brickwall in the backyard & become the next relief pitcher of the Chicago Cubs for your instant of glory.

Anything that falls off might get used to design a GC2 ship model simply by means of an abstract sculpture. Get a spray can of blue flashy sprinkles and shoot what was glued together.

Admire your Artwork as room decoration until you have seen enough to return to the bullseye.

Repeat & rinse.

(PS; In all seriousness, i'd tend to agree with the "charity" road suggested above.)

March 30, 2009 9:14:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

http://hackedgadgets.com/2008/02/06/ping-pong-ball-inkjet-printer/

for article

March 30, 2009 9:26:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I probably still have my oldest one from more than 10 years ago, still works a miracle

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.