The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Any plans on expansions of any sort?

By on March 17, 2009 3:29:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know that they are planning on releasing a few demigods as free downloads post-release, but are there any plans for actual expansions, or going the Sins route, micro-expansions?  As good a game as DG is, it could be a lot better with some micro-expansions, to make the game a bit deeper.  Maybe rebuilding defense structures, for example?  As it is, once the enemy destroys 2 or 3 of your towers, you're basically screwed.  I'd like to be able to fight off the enemy and have a fighting chance of coming back.  Right now, once the enemy gets in the base, there'e hardly even a point to continuing the game.  The only reason I ever rage-quit is when I don't personally even stand a chance, and all the game consists of for me is getting killed over and over, but still, like I said, once the enemy's in your base, there's nothing you can do to come back.

0 Karma | 9 Replies
March 17, 2009 4:02:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hopefully they'll only charge for new Demigod's after the "free updates" part,  and all the new maps and gameplay enhancements should be free.

Also, being screwed after your towers are destroyed is kinda the point..  You pay for your mistakes.  It's a game of momentum.
Adding something to rebuild lost defenses would make the game LESS deep.

March 17, 2009 4:17:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, he's talking about an anti-slippery slope. It would be a good idea.

March 17, 2009 5:30:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i hope they dont charge for new demigods.. that would kinda ruin this game for me

March 17, 2009 7:51:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

they aren't charging for the first 2 new demigods, i don't know about later though

And I feel like it was mentioned that they were going to eventually release micro expansions, or some kind of expansions later on

and I agree with innociv. There is a momentum to the game, and being able to rebuild will only slow the game down. The game is supposed to be quick.

March 17, 2009 9:30:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I asked Frogboy in IRC if we'll see micro-expansions or full blown expansions and he said it will depend on the success of the game.

March 18, 2009 5:58:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

are micro expansions a sign that sins didn't do ok, cuz I heard otherwise...

March 18, 2009 10:31:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I assume it is a lot easier to develop micro expansions. And the lower price / expansion may be an advantage in getting sales. It's a hell of a lot faster to develop atleast, i hate expansions 2 years after initial release.

March 18, 2009 10:58:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

are micro expansions a sign that sins didn't do ok, cuz I heard otherwise...

Sins did fine.  They delivered close to a year of free updates after release on that game too.  The expansions are adding elements of gameplay you don't see in vanilla like diplomacy, starbases, etc..

I think what happens is that even with a long tail games like these can't continue to be updated with meaningful content indefinitately unless the devs are getting some sort of compensation. 

Of course, Steam has figured out a pretty nifty way of making the tail longer with big updates + Free Weekends.  Actually, they can give games that had no sales in the first place new life...Might want to take a page out of that book, Impulse..

March 18, 2009 9:37:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We plan on 2 free Demigods being released AFTER the game is generally available. What those 2 Demigods will be like will be heavily dependent on what players are looking for.

Beyond that, it's all based on how well the game sells.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000515   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.