The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Balance] Raise the Ceiling - End Spell Replacement

By on March 10, 2009 12:47:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wrote this here as well, but I thought I should make a seperate post so we could talk about it in depth.  I'd really like to see testers talking about this one, because I think it could make a big difference in gameplay -

This might be a five-pointer, but I think it would be worth it.  Actually if devs made one major change before release this should be it, imo..

Currently control spells like stun and snare are coded to replace spells of the same type that are already in effect.  So TB warps in and Frost Novas Regulus - Regulus is frozen - Rook walks up and Boulders Reg while he is frozen - Reg is now stunned - Hammer and Shatter come down GG. 

Instead spells should be coded to disallow replacement.  If Rook Boulders while Regulus is still frozen by FNova then the boulder gives damage but no stun effect.  The spell is wasted, and Regulus has a chance to fight or run when Nova expires, as opposed to simply dying, every time. 

Or take Wyrmskin Gloves.  If your attack speed is high enough you can keep a target in perpetual slow, because the duration is long enough and chance to proc high enough that the slow will be replaced indefinitely.  Through some Snare or Diseased Claws in there, maybe a Mine or QoT's insanely longrange slow, and you can keep the target from going anywhere until they die.  In the new model only one slow at a time can be effective.  It still makes a difference, but it doesn't cause the ragequits I'm seeing under the current model, I don't think. 

Without replacement effects all those secondary spells would be wasted unless you trigger them after the first one expires so you introduce a whole new level of SKILL (Ta-Daaa!) because you have to time and coordinate your control abilities very carefully, as opposed to simply slapping them on top of each other like we do know.  Your skill ceiling just got higher. 

Thoughts, comments?

+118 Karma | 7 Replies
March 10, 2009 1:08:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree, stuns on top of stuns is hard to deal with. At least if rook has to wait for a stun to ware off before bouldering you have a chance to dodge or cast somthing.

March 10, 2009 1:20:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Want to see a rage quitter slow me with 5 items at the same time damn right I am gonna quit cause it is B.S. We need the cap on slow of 75% of base speed no slower is acceptable.

March 10, 2009 4:57:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like your idea.  It seems that it would definately help with the over-stunning and slowing that is happening now.  I also think that there should be a chance of resisting any type of negative effect.

March 11, 2009 11:31:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm in total agreement.  I just played a game, me (playing as Rook) and another guy playing as UB, against two people playing as TBs.  All they have to do to win is follow each other around, both stun one of us when they come accross us, and then attack.  We're totally screwed.  There is absolutely nothing we could do, except watch our demigods get frozen and wiped out.  The game wasn't even fun.

I'm not saying it was all a balance issue, as I'm sure most people on here are better at DG than me.  But when I don't even have the slightest chance to escape...  the game loses all its fun.

March 11, 2009 12:59:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree.  I also agree with this:

Quoting Sorael,
I also think that there should be a chance of resisting any type of negative effect.

March 14, 2009 10:20:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If Rook Boulders while Regulus is still frozen by FNova then the boulder gives damage but no stun effect.  The spell is wasted, and Regulus has a chance to fight or run when Nova expires, as opposed to simply dying, every time. 

Haven't we been saying this needs to be the case since b1? :[

March 14, 2009 7:59:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, this is common sense.  Crowd control abilities can't stack with one another; people are justified in ragequitting in the face of CC abuse.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.