The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

AtomicGamer Previews Demigod

By on March 5, 2009 8:59:55 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

AtomicGamer.com has published a preview of Demigod!

…” it's looking like GPG are going to have a hit on their hands with Demigod.”

“Demigod has a definite fantasy look, but it pulls from medieval and Japanese influences at the same time - you won't see the stereotypical type fantasy art here that you've probably been getting sick of.”

Demigod will make it onto store shelves, but much like how Valve set up Half-Life 2 and their other games since, this one is designed to actually run exclusively on Stardock's Impulse platform. The big thing here is that as with other games released by Stardock, this one will include no disc-based copy protection or draconic DRM, although you'll have to have a legit copy to get any of the game's updates. So far, the Impulse system for downloading, installing, and playing Demigod has gone very smoothly - and that's kind of an important thing to know if it's the only way to play the game. The release date is currently set for April 14th and word on the Stardock forums is that a demo will be released sometime after the game's launch. If you're interested in anything that ranges from Diablo to Warcraft to Heroes of Might & Magic to Supreme Commander, it's worth looking into Demigod - its unique mix of strategy, action, and RPG elements really is compelling.

Check out the full preview here.

+462 Karma | 4 Replies
March 5, 2009 1:30:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They make it sound like you have to have Impulse running in order to ever play the game.

March 5, 2009 3:11:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thats the one thing that I like about Demigod and Impulse, you don't have to run the two just to run demigod. Steam should learn from this and not require you to be logged into your account.

March 5, 2009 4:16:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They make it sound like you have to have Impulse running in order to ever play the game.

I read it the same way. I couldn't see any way to leave a comment or reply, so I fired off an email to hopefully get him to clarify. Here is the text:

Hello. In the "Demigod Preview" article by Jeff Buckland, there is a piece of misinformation that I would like to see corrected.
  The article makes it seem like Impulse mirrors Steam, in that the player must have it installed and running in order to play the game. This is simply not the case. Impulse does NOT have to run, or even be installed in order to play. This is one of the many differences between it and Steam.
  Impulse only has to be installed in order to receive updates. The process is to load Impulse, download and install the update, close Impulse, and play your game.
  Would you please contact Mr.Buckland so that he can amend his article.
  Sincerely, a concerned gamer.

I think that Stardock and/or GPG should contact them also, as their input would most likely carry more weight than some random gamer's.

March 6, 2009 5:06:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just a little update. I got an email back from Jeff Buckland, the author/editor. He's a fine fellow, and has amended the article.

@Island Dog: Perhaps you could edit this post to reflect the changes, so that the author doesn't have to wade through any more mail about this subject.

BTW, what's up with the PR dep't? Jeff said that he couldn't get a straight answer about this, and thus the misinformation.

One more thing; I also clued him into the two main classes of Demigods- Assasins and Generals, which may or may not make it into the article. (Haven't heard back yet)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000078   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.