The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Flag Link idea

By on January 26, 2009 10:01:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This idea came about from brainstorming on the Demigod IRC channel.

The basic idea was to link flags in the same path like nodes from Unreal Tournament.  The result would be that in order to take a flag in the enemy base, a team would need all the neutral flags between the bases in the same line as the flag they want.  To use the current map as an example, to take the enemy's Valor flag, you must control the middle experiance flag as it is in the same path as the valor flags.

An argument against it was that it could destroy some strategy in Demigod(Ryo2810)

Also, it was suggested that instead of blocking capture, not having a link to a flag would increase its capture time(Evangel)

Taking all that into account, my idea for linked flags is to have three diferent options for it in the game setup screen.

None - no linked flags, this is for those that don't like the idea

Block - this makes flags uncaptureable unless you have a link to them

Time - this increases the time it takes to capture an unliked flag.  This could have several multipliers to select from, such as Time 1.5x, Time 2x, Time 3x, etc

+12 Karma | 4 Replies
January 27, 2009 1:36:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Superb idea to have "widowed" Flags take more time to capture. That one I think would serve the current Demigod state very well. Deep-captures are still possible, but subtly more difficult.

January 27, 2009 7:40:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like the idea, but I am not sure how it would play out in-game.

January 27, 2009 7:49:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is a good idea, I think. It would help prevent some of the more annoying deep caps in early game, at the very least, although in theory it also ENCOURAGES deep capping if the penalties for not being linked are high enough.

Perhaps another idea is to have "widowed" (love that word) flags become less effective? So the Experience flag (assuming it can be widowed, which in this map it can't) would only give the team that holds it only 10% bonus experience instead of the usual 20%. Or if you cut off a neutral portal flag from the enemy, it would take twice as long to spawn the creep.

Just some thoughts...

January 27, 2009 9:37:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another thought: why not create a second type of Flag that is identical to current ones but is subject to widowing? That way, map designers can have the freedom/power to add them where appropriate/they see fit. Not all Flags would have to conform to this concept.

It could depend upon the map.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.