The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Varried level up experience point per demigod

By on January 26, 2009 4:45:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

From playing a few games, I noticed the game is pretty unbalanced. However, while at the same time I feel if those demigod's power were nerfed, they might lose their niche/attractiveness.

So, a simple idea is just make each demigod level up at a difference pace.

That way, each demigod will be able to hold their own niche but now they need a consideration of "time" heavily.

Strategic planning will be important as demigods need to achieve each objective in their long term goal to obtain victory.

Some of the more OP demigod can level slower and that would make it big enough nerf only during early game. While when they reach their max potential by playing carefully, the opponent "deserve to lose" because they allowed it to happen.

Faster leveling demigod will have options of skipping exp flag more often, while slow leveling demigod can still run rampant with their high power even at lower level; though still less skills available to them, so it would limit their overall vastility.

Easier said than done. The exact experience value to balance the demigods would be a decent loads of works.

========================

A work around is to have each skill to require a certain amount of experience point instead of level. Much like gold to items. So more powerful skills are harder to get with more reward. While cheap skills can make it in time to make some difference while comating opponents.

Although indirectly, I think this can give demigod more RTS-like features. As time/pace become an important aspect of battle.

It will not fix the feeling of general are assassin with pets though. To fix that I think general need to be able to make an impact in multiple front of the battle field. In a real war, a general can be fighting multiple fronts making decisions for each.

+4 Karma | 17 Replies
January 26, 2009 6:18:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The prob is its not that for example Rook is rigged. Its the fact that hammerslam and boulder oll combo is rigged. So than nobody would be able to not use those abilities because than they would fall behind. It would also take alot of work trying to find out slowly each demigod should level up. The game is not balanced right now even the devs say that because balance really dosn't start till beta 3.

January 26, 2009 7:35:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Soccer194,
The prob is its not that for example Rook is rigged. Its the fact that hammerslam and boulder oll combo is rigged. So than nobody would be able to not use those abilities because than they would fall behind. It would also take alot of work trying to find out slowly each demigod should level up. The game is not balanced right now even the devs say that because balance really dosn't start till beta 3.

I don't quite understand the purpose of that post aside repeating it again. Or, you are saying people should stop posting ideas?

While that, a rook leveling slower would mean the time frame of him getting the combo is longer (or alot longer), which allow other players to do something. When a rook do get his combo ready, others would have some means of stopping it by being higher level, assuming things play out well for the non-rook demigod(s).

If the opposite team is still not ready for rook's combo even after all that, they deserve to get pwn by rook combo.

It would be like building a GC from supcom and other side didn't prepare for it.

January 27, 2009 1:44:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I could have sworn I posted in this thread. Must`ve been tired and closed up the windows before I clicked the Post button.

Yes, varied experience progression could be a viable balancing mechanism for Demigods. The Rook might be a good example candidate for such. Not a replacement for other balance work, just a tool in the arsenal.

Skills that require more than a single point to acquire might be an idea too. Maybe not appropriate for current Demigod developer thinking (?) but certainly a good suggestion.

January 27, 2009 7:38:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My points is not all the abilities any Dg has are all rigged or all suck. If u level up quicker but u dodnt want to use those rigged moves than u basicly fall behind. I'm saying that when it comes to balance stardock is not finished so that really shouldnt be changed.

January 28, 2009 10:33:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Soccer194,
My points is not all the abilities any Dg has are all rigged or all suck. If u level up quicker but u dodnt want to use those rigged moves than u basicly fall behind. I'm saying that when it comes to balance stardock is not finished so that really shouldnt be changed.

1st, they won't fall behind. Because by choosing other moves, they are able to be more effective "earlier" and that kind of factor will often decide a battle. While at the same time, you still can aim for that "rigged" skills, but you will sacrifise important earlier battles; this often means that you will need other factors to ensure that you can reach your objective.

2nd, so you are basically saying that people shouldn't post ideas. You can do that.

January 28, 2009 12:11:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the rigged skills are rigged for a reason because their always rigged and are like 3 times better than other skills. Like for example Rook's towers dodn't do nearly as much as ROok's hammer slam. If u get hammer slam u will be able to kill other DG's alot easier but with towers that not possible. So the Rook with the rigged skill will level up alot quicker from killing other Dg's while the Rook who doesn't use rigged skills wont be able to do that. ROoks hammer slam plus boulder roll are never worse than building tower. building tower isn't that good early, mid, or late game while hammer slam + boulder roll are awalys good anytime not just late. So if u get those rigged skills u'll do awesome in begging when eveyones even than even though the u need more points u will still be able to level just as quickly or faster than your opponet cause your constantly killing them. Take a look at nightmare comps. They level up like twice as fast as u but if your good than u can keep up with them. Than when your both at level 20 the better player will win and nights arn't that good they just get like twice as much gold and expierience.

Furthermore I'm saying your trying to fix the prob of balance when stardock knows its not balanced. I'm saying changing things is perfectly fine but trying to balance the Dg's when their were never gonna be balanced at this stage is just stupid. Posting ideas is fine but posting balancing ideas isn't the best cause right now. Stardock wants us concentrated on other things not balance. beta 3 is when they want to deal with balance so balance ideas i think u should keep in mind till beta 3 comes out and see what happens and if it needs balance than post your balance ideas.

January 28, 2009 12:39:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Soccer194,
the rigged skills are rigged for a reason because their always rigged and are like 3 times better than other skills. Like for example Rook's towers dodn't do nearly as much as ROok's hammer slam. If u get hammer slam u will be able to kill other DG's alot easier but with towers that not possible. So the Rook with the rigged skill will level up alot quicker from killing other Dg's while the Rook who doesn't use rigged skills wont be able to do that. ROoks hammer slam plus boulder roll are never worse than building tower. building tower isn't that good early, mid, or late game while hammer slam + boulder roll are awalys good anytime not just late. So if u get those rigged skills u'll do awesome in begging when eveyones even than even though the u need more points u will still be able to level just as quickly or faster than your opponet cause your constantly killing them. Take a look at nightmare comps. They level up like twice as fast as u but if your good than u can keep up with them. Than when your both at level 20 the better player will win and nights arn't that good they just get like twice as much gold and expierience.

Yea, and?

Now apply my idea and rook will not be using rigged skills so early and won't be leveling so fast. So if they want to actually do something early game, they will need to use towers. Since rigged skill can't impact early games, it won't be as rigged.

Furthermore I'm saying your trying to fix the prob of balance when stardock knows its not balanced. I'm saying changing things is perfectly fine but trying to balance the Dg's when their were never gonna be balanced at this stage is just stupid. Posting ideas is fine but posting balancing ideas isn't the best cause right now. Stardock wants us concentrated on other things not balance. beta 3 is when they want to deal with balance so balance ideas i think u should keep in mind till beta 3 comes out and see what happens and if it needs balance than post your balance ideas.

I would understand when people tell me to stop whining, but I am not whining. I am giving ideas. Whether they read it or not, it really is up to them and not you. I am not an employee of gpg nor stardock, nor am I stating something that had been said a few thousand times; so, I don't feel it is fair for you to tell me when to post and/or what to post. Are you trying to be my mom?

This is also not a direct "balance issue" but a "mechanic" issue. If this game allow player more customization of "power = time", it will bring more depth to the game; it will push the game even more rts-like. I also think it is completely retarded to just leave an idea hanging and not share it. It is also really stupid to be an internet mom, that's why I don't understand why you are doing such.

I have no further reason to defend my ideas from you specifically on topic of "whether this should be posted". It feels to me that you barely even bother to apply my idea inside your mind. If you are just going to say "don't post balance idea" in every topic, you really should might as well not post. It save me from reading, and save you from posting.

January 28, 2009 2:00:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

but u can get hammer slam on level 1 and thats one of his rigged skills. So no u dodnt need towers. Also its a mechanic yes but a mechanic to fix balance.  taking away some of his skills earlier on is stupid we dodn't want people being forced to use towers because thats the only spell they have. It would weaken Rook to much when really we should just listen to how he was described first. Slow powerful and a seiger.

Fine talk about it all u want. i was just pointing out stardock hasn't had the chance to really focus on balance.

January 29, 2009 7:05:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Overcoming limitation is why strategy exist.

Rook will not be the only one effected by this mechanic. That means he won't fall behind if he doesn't make bad choices.

Tower isn't his only spell. That means he is on par with others, as other's big powerful stuff is also leveling slower.

He will be slow and powerful and a sieger. He gain his most "powerful" thing "slowly" and can easily take a building. How does that not fit?

i was just pointing out stardock hasn't had the chance to really focus on balance

Let me just prove that wrong.

+ Adjusted balance on Sedna abilities

+ Flag and wall location tweaks

+ Citadel upgrade cost increases

+ New Skill: Morale. Generals no longer have the Enhanced Attributes skill. In their place is Morale, which increases the power of the General's army

+ Modified cooldown times for Regulus and Rook.

+ Modified XP level values and the amount gained by capturing flags.

From the look of that, they have been trying to balance the game whenever they got a chance to. Maybe not top priority, but they are definitely keeping it in mind.

January 29, 2009 10:29:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I said really focus on balance. not just think about it a little bit a little focus. what ever I'm gonna drop that.

Anyways when i say slow seiger. I mean He is supposed to be this humongous seiger who slowly enters the battle with alot of health and doing alot of damage. They went a little over board on health and damaghe, yet he still isn't slow. Also towers is mainly for defense and structure transfers for attacking buildings. he should have something for offense or else he will fall quickly behind and they will get powerful weapons so that even though he has powerful spells, their items tip the balance tords them. I am extremely against anyone being particulry good at 1 time of the game.

January 30, 2009 1:01:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think if someone is able to overcome all the obstacles to achieve something, that reward should be proportional. Not recieve great reward from doing virtually nothing.

You are still not applying my idea at all. You just come in and talk about the current system. Maybe you should just post your own idea thread.

It is like we are speaking a different language or something.

January 30, 2009 7:43:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah but its alot easier to draw a game out then to finish it quicker. Towers and other stuff stop u so in the end, in basicly every game Rook will rule at end.

i am looking at your idea but his 2 pwnage spells are his only real offensive and anti demigod skills and I dodn't think he should be deprived of them.

January 31, 2009 1:46:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Soccer194,
yeah but its alot easier to draw a game out then to finish it quicker. Towers and other stuff stop u so in the end, in basicly every game Rook will rule at end.

i am looking at your idea but his 2 pwnage spells are his only real offensive and anti demigod skills and I dodn't think he should be deprived of them.

He is not deprived of them, he just now need to clear a certain condition to use them.

Equally skilled battle always last awhile.

January 31, 2009 2:10:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well yes equally skilled opponets do last a while because thats how its supposed to happen but when its a pro and against noob the noob its loses alot quicker.

Also what condition do u speak of never have u said anything about a condition that ROok can use his offensive skills early, u just said he can't use them.

January 31, 2009 5:13:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Soccer194,

Also what condition do u speak of never have u said anything about a condition that ROok can use his offensive skills early, u just said he can't use them.

Exactly, because this is just an idea thread, not an in-depth analysis of how much and when. I'm not suggesting any number because I have not put my time into that research, I believe that is a game designer's job. Spending time to research on someone else's project that they will profit from is kind of stupid imo. Not exactly out here to do charity, but I am all for giving ideas to increase the chance of enjoyment.

Rook can still use them, but only in later game if we are using current power level.

January 31, 2009 7:17:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow I have a hard time reading soccer's post.

l2grammar please.

As to the OP, I think balancing would be more properly done by, well, balancing the characters. If a hero is "late game" in the regard that they are most powerful after aquiring certain items, I don't think they should level slower than the others.

January 31, 2009 9:33:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sry i no my grammer is bad, maybe next time I'll try to proof read.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.