The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod, A New Genre

By on January 24, 2009 12:18:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In a fromer post I complained about how Demigod is called an RTS when it clearly isnt. But it also isnt an RPG.

So at the time I had an idea. Why don't we come up with a name for a new genre, one that Demigod stands as the father/mother of. This way, not only does Demigod get a label  that will fit it, it will catch the eyes of many hard core gamers who'll be intrested in the prospects of a whole new type of game. This also means we and the creators are not held back by the previous label.

And so I ask, why do we let them be held back, we keep saying, hey make the generrals more RTSy and make the Assissans this or that, but what we could do if Demigod is recognized as a new genre is endless. We don't need a game with the same formula as all the others that are coming out, what we need is a genre that Demigod can sit in, one where the generals can act completely diffrent from the basic ideas of an RTS, among other things.

Now the real question (if you agree with me) is what do we call this new genre, a name that really defines it. So I'll start and I want to see if anyone has any ideas for a name.

My name idea is that the genre should be called a HBSG, or a Hero Based Strategy Game.

0 Karma | 30 Replies
January 24, 2009 12:30:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Strategy. 

Edit: I think HBSG fits perfectly.

January 24, 2009 12:39:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like Hbsg, I think it fits, well.

January 24, 2009 2:07:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The league of legends developers call it "Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA)" in a recent interview.

I think both games should call it the same genre to grow this new genre.

January 24, 2009 2:13:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ARTS (Action RTS)

it's simple, and it works well because ARTS is to RTS as Action RPG is to RPG.

More action, quicker, simpler, etc.

January 24, 2009 2:22:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe, but when I think of sometihng like an Action RPG, I kind of think of something like the total war games, the quick battles at leaset, where you just choose units and then go. The real problem with calling it an ARTS is that right now there are no real RTS components to it.

The other reason I like HBSG is that it includes what this game is. You are using traditional "Hero" units (not to mention hero's definition includes demigod) and there is still a lot of stratagy.

January 24, 2009 2:38:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This game feels far more like an RTS than an RPG or any "hero based game."  The game is based, more than anything, on map control.  Hero combat is a ) not particularly involved (not anywhere close to a MMO or a RPG) and b ) not super important for the outcome of the game.  The biggest thing in the game is capturing flags and pushing towers.  Map control.  That's an RTS element. 

The only thing really missing is different strategies / build orders / counter systems (depth) that most good RTS have.  I suppose that's why it's an action game.  It's a "jump in there and start smashing things with your main unit" game more than anything else.  Hold the flags and upgrade your troops at the citadel asap to win!  No tech trees to worry about or anything!

Calling it a Hero Based Strategy game is misleading, in my opinion.  ARTS makes more sense, because just like an ARPG, it's a lot like the basic genre (RPG / RTS) only greatly simplified to make it more accessible.  Plus, you want to come up with a genre name that people can recognize.  People will see HBSG and go "uh, wtf?"  ARTS is pretty straightforward and self-explanatory.

January 24, 2009 2:51:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just wondering what about the game that first said it was an rts. I'm sure everyone else thought wtf but now we know what it means. their nothing wrong with making another genre.

January 24, 2009 2:55:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well first of all, this game is completely hero based. You choose a demigod, a unit stronger than the others (Thats a hero if you didn't know), and you use him/her to control the map (Stratagy). It's also true that a new genre name would be harder to sell, like HBSG, but the fact is, so were the original genres. It's not like everyone someone said RTS and everyone knew exactly what that meant. It took years of making games to truley define what an RTS is. This game could be the start to a new genre, not just an extended one. The other problem is that this games RTS elements are loosely connected to the idea of what an RTS is. The game itself is about capturing flags, but you don't have to, not to mention things like ressing for free, all very shooter llike not RTS like.

So I agree that ARTS might fit this game, I still feel it's restrictive, it doesnt both encompass this game and allow for adaquete growth without angering people about how theres not enough feel to it. Still it's your last sentence that bugs me. There is no reason to sell short and not go with something completely new just because people don't know what it means. Personally I think a lot more people will go "HBSG, wtf is that, I should check it out." or something like that, same as if you saw a reveloutonary new game. People will check it out because they wan't to know, and in my opinion they will be presentally suprised.

January 24, 2009 3:17:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This game is technically based around a "hero", but that hero is not much more complicated than a super unit in an RTS game.  It just happens to level up and get stronger as the game goes on.

It didn't take years to define what an RTS is.  Real Time Strategy.  It's a strategy game that happens in real time instead of being turn based.  Not much more to it than that.  Yes, the genre has come a long way since the original RTS, but that doesn't mean the genre title means anything more.  People simply expect more from an RTS now than they used to. 

Now, regarding your comment on HBSG, I assure you, potential buyers of the game will be much more likely to look into it if it sounds similar to something they already know.  Most people don't say "hey, that sounds completely different than anything I've ever heard before, but it looks cool so I'll spend $50 on it."  Reviewers already have and definitely will refer to this game as an RTS with some (very little in truth) RPG elements, and that's how potential buyers will perceive it as well.

January 24, 2009 3:31:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I disagree with you there. We spend a huge amount of time looking for something new in everything we do. The problem for marketing is that right now as an RTS, people are skipping over it. They go: "hey a new RTS thats cool, but I'm not gonna spend $50 on it when games like Dawn of War 2 and Starcraft 2 are on their way." The fact is Demigod is not on the tops of the list anywhere, and thats becauise as cool as it is, it's being rated aginst some of the top RTS's in the genre. Now if it was a new genre, that would give it a big push. People would check it out because it sounds new and intresting, and then once they've seen it, it doesnt matter what it's called anymore, the game itself is far good enough to kepp them hooked. With the RTS title right now there sitting on a pressure bomb. People spend so much time, even in these forums complaining about how this game is not RTS'y enough. Soon enough the game will come out and some more people will pick it up, and they'll say the same thing. "This game isn't an RTS. What the RTS genre is now isnt just Real Time Stratagy, it's become way more than that. It stands for a whole set of games that have to do with micromangaing armies and fighting battles on epic scales. This game isn't that what this game is is a game where you pick a hero, a demigod that's much stronger than any of the other units. Everyhting you do is directly related to that hero, and your job is to play the game with stratgy to win. If this game doesnt sell itself as something new, not enough people are going to pick it up, to many are going to overlook it for bigger titles, and that shouldnt happen with a game as good as this. We've seen what GPG and Stardock can do in the RTS field. They showed us how good they are. There not making an RTS here, even they might not fully agree with what I'm saying, but it's true. What we have is Demigod a game that can't truley be compared to anything else. it's a game that has taken elements of some things but hascome up with its own style, it's own genre, and that is what they should be focusing on

January 24, 2009 4:12:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Real Time Game.  It's barely got any rpg, its barely got any rts.  It is in real time though....

January 24, 2009 4:22:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bufsan,
Real Time Game.  It's barely got any rpg, its barely got any rts.  It is in real time though....

Sounds good to me!

January 24, 2009 4:40:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

dude, almost all games are rtg then
i think action rts is fitting! no base or unit building, its all action. dawn of war 2 is gonna be like that too, but alot more traditional rts elements than demigod.

January 24, 2009 4:43:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

no dow singleplayer is going to be like that.

January 24, 2009 6:56:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think we should wait for all the elements to be added into the game before anybody makes any final decisions.

That being said, there are a lot of games in the same vein as Demigod (Dota, Enfos just to name some map variants similar to Demigod) and I don't think Gas or Star are looking to coin a new genre name as well as a new game.

Just my 2 cents.

January 24, 2009 6:57:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think it can be classified as "action". Compared to some of the action out there, demigod does a half ass job of it. So far, demigod really does everything half assedly.

There is already a genre sort of, and that would be hybrid. I think that is really the only thing that can define it most perfectly.

January 24, 2009 8:05:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thats why they stuck to rts and rpg because they didn't no what else they could market it as. I mean really what would u call it.

January 24, 2009 8:31:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Blitz64,
"Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA)"

Clearly the coolest name of the bunch. It basically is what it says it is. Calling Demigod a (Insert Word Here) Real Time Strategy could tend to be misleading to some people as everyone has their interpretation of what a RTS game is.

January 24, 2009 9:34:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

but its not just online their is a singleplayer.

January 25, 2009 2:41:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How about a Hero Arena Stratagy Game (HASG) a little far fetched, but it encompesses a little of everything that has shown up. Although I don't love it, at least it works.

January 25, 2009 4:44:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Xan25,
How about a Hero Arena Stratagy Game (HASG) a little far fetched, but it encompesses a little of everything that has shown up. Although I don't love it, at least it works.

The letter G does not have to be in the actual Genre of the game. It can just be HAS, better to stick to the common 3 letter acronyms. Maybe even Hero Strategy Game HSG.

January 25, 2009 5:55:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

RTT: Real Time Tactical. I think you shouldn't be putting things like Hero in a genre, many games are based on the hero idea so it may not help defining much. And searching it, looks like it already exists and fits the best. It's at least some sort of it.

"Real-time tactics (RTT[1]) is a video game genre of tactical wargames played in real-time simulating the considerations and circumstances of operational warfare and military tactics. It is often called a sub-genre of real-time strategy (albeit a growing one), and is differentiated from these games by the lack of resource micromanagement and base building, as well as the greater importance of individual units.[1][2] The RTT genre is less commonly called fixed-unit real-time strategy[3] or real-time combat simulator"

"Typical real-time strategy titles generally encourage the player to focus on logistics and production as much as or more than combat, whereas real-time tactics games more commonly do not feature resource-gathering, production, base-building or economic management[3], instead focusing on tactical and operational aspects of warfare such as unit formations or the exploitation of terrain for tactical advantage."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_time_Tactical

January 25, 2009 9:22:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Evanescent,

Quoting Blitz64,
reply 3
"Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA)"

Clearly the coolest name of the bunch. It basically is what it says it is. Calling Demigod a (Insert Word Here) Real Time Strategy could tend to be misleading to some people as everyone has their interpretation of what a RTS game is.

That is a really broad name though.  Most RTS games could be called "Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas."  Lots of games take place in arenas and have multiplayer.

RTT doesn't fit the Assassins very well either though, does it?

I suggest Hero-Based Arena-Located Real Time Role-Playing Tactical Strategy Game (HBALRTRPTSG).

January 25, 2009 10:29:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thinking more of Hero Based Strategy Game (making it Hero-Based-Strategy / seeing it together), it's not bad but still, what about a game that have almost all commom features of a commom strategy game and also have heroes implemented? Of course the heroes in Demigod are game-ending. But a most important thing, there is a necessity at strategy games of all sorts (tactical included), to denominate if it is Real-time or Turn-based and Hero-Based Strategy don't specify that. Without it I think it's lacking important explanation and may not be used later on by game community or players because of that. You can see some asking after reading "Strategy": "Is that real-time?"

"RTT doesn't fit the Assassins very well either though, does it?"

Being it assassin or general, you need to secure flags, take certain enemy structures you see more influential, see the right time or moment to use certain skills; to try to take the best decisions to strength your side. And in an arena enviroment.

January 25, 2009 12:13:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wow gnats how are we supposed to remember that. Like try asking what Hero-Based Arena-Located Real Time Role-Playing Tactical Strategy Game's do u got.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000594   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.