The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Suggestion] Tournament matchmaking based on skill

By on January 22, 2009 12:56:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The persistent week-long tournaments that are upcoming in the next beta sound interesting but without any sort of auto-balancing I don't quite yet see how the tournaments will be competitive. In fact the side that wins is kind of already determined. For example, if it happens that the better players like Regulus and Sedna disproportionately more than the other DGs and those two get assigned to the forces of light then they win, right? I think it is very unlikely that the distribution of skill level is spread evenly across all the DGs. 

Instead I would be much more excited about tournaments in which the player is auto-assigned to a side based on their rating. This rating would be derived from their past performance in games. There is plenty of work already done in this area for other games but with a little tweaking of how favor is assigned you could probably even use something as simple as the average amount of favor earned per game (after having played 10 games, a provisional rating before that). Once each player has a rating the tournament system's job is simply to assign new tournament participants to a side so as to keep the sum of ratings the same for both sides.

To go one step further I would be even more excited about auto-matchmaking of standard 2v2, 3v3, etc. games based on this rating.  

Best of luck.

0 Karma | 1 Reply
January 22, 2009 1:06:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Average favor per game would be an interesting way to rate players.  As long as the criteria were pretty broad you could get a pretty good gauge of skill that would supplement standard Elo. 

Anthion is right though, if you restrict DGs to a given side you are going to severely imbalance the tournaments, imo. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000031   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.