The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

beta 0.65.017 issues and suggestions

By on January 19, 2009 11:26:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

taltamir

Join Date 01/2006
+33

- In repeated games without logout I ram out of ram, in my 3rd of 4th game pressing auto fill did not fill up all the slots, it left 4 open, i clicked again and it added another player, again and it added another player... afterwards it will not add more players. I just moved one to the other team and closed the last two slots and started. During that game I got an "out of memory" error (the game minimized and a tooltip popped up saying out of memory and had an OK button and that is it). The game was still running and taking 1.8GB in task manager, but i could not get back into it.

- I usually have problems buying citadel upgrades, it either takes some time for the click to register, or it ignores it completely no matter how often i click, or it takes several clicks. Even if I manage to make my purchases i waste valuable minutes there.

- Melee gods still suck, they tend to just stand there and not hit anything, compared to ranged ones that can just stand behind your troops and shoot and shoot and shoot.

- Can't save the login info.

- Tab does not move you from the login box to the password box.

- You have to actually click on the username box to start typing login.

Locked Post 15 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 19, 2009 11:27:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

- After winning it goes on for a while saying one statement after another, such as "rampage" and so on. It seems they queue up and just take a while to filter through.

- After winning against the AI I often get all or most of the awards, and they clip isntead of all being listed.

January 19, 2009 5:19:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good feedback. I agree.

January 19, 2009 5:53:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I definatly agree about the login screen.  I forgave it last update since it was still early beta 2 (internet test) but now its late beta 2 almost beta 3, that isa really annoying login screen to deal with.

I wanted to add I really like the UI highlights for the characters behind things

January 19, 2009 5:59:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah but I've discovered some nasty issues with those UI Highlights.

January 19, 2009 6:11:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

+ Melee gods dont's suck, slow down a ranged god & wail on him.  Granted they are harder to use & take much more strategy...but overall they can bring about a beatdown, i've seen it done.  Balance is still in the works overall anyway

+ The login 'issues' are well-known & If I were devs would be the last thing on the agenda, as networks & balancing issues are still abound...that fix is just interface tweaking for the release...though I never realized how much I miss tabbing after its not active..

-- Additional Issues I've experienced--

- Desyncing.  Every skirmish we have played about 5-10 minutes in will always desync, listing a beat# and a dialog with whoever is in you game that is "unsynced".  This has happened every game since i've patched and even goes as far to letting someone see the end of the game, when another person in the game is up to 5 minutes behind them.  The dialog also locks all other input and must be okayed every 10-20s (as the desync remains the entire match) for the remainder.

- Incorrect Favor Points.  After purchasing an achievement in my first match, every match since my favor points remain at 50 from start to finish.  The scores tab and end match results show me earning usually more than 150 points per match (but possibly due to syncing), it is not updated on my character at any point in the match.

- Stagnant war rank.  I've noticed if you set war rank speed to high, it seems to go up even slower.  May go hand-in-hand with syncing.

+ On a positive note, I am glad to see changes in citadel upgrades, demigod high-level balance, and no lag while playing in matches (even if you cant always connect with one another well).  Hope to see the trend in the future.

January 19, 2009 6:13:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

"- I usually have problems buying citadel upgrades, it either takes some time for the click to register, or it ignores it completely no matter how often i click, or it takes several clicks. Even if I manage to make my purchases i waste valuable minutes there."

I have also experienced this problem. I have actually foregone buying citadel upgrades when playing as it sometimes doesn't even allow for anything past tier 1 reagrdless of how much money or how much time has past.

January 20, 2009 8:03:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

+ Melee gods dont's suck, slow down a ranged god & wail on him.  Granted they are harder to use & take much more strategy...but overall they can bring about a beatdown, i've seen it done.  Balance is still in the works overall anyway

What I mean is that independant AI is not sufficient and that they are sometimes not hitting anything when they should. They get stuck in small units trying to walk, and otherwise act stupid. Obviously that will improve towards release, but right now ranged gods have the advantage because they just shoot, all the time, as long as there is anything at range.

Melee gods are especially problematic if there is a lot going on, when you have multiple enemies bearing in on you, you can't click on anything or even see very well. and movement might be blocked by taller units. Or if there are archers just wailing on my demigod and he is standing there...

EDIT: actually in retrospect, I probably meant what it sounded like originally. Sure you COULD use a melee god effectively, but melee is not a class, there are ranged assasins, ranged generals, etc. The melee ones require you to close in, which means you are being decimated by the brathasurai who are catapulting balls of fire at you. Whilet he ranged units can stand behind your own lines, and either pick off enemy soldiers, or snipe / debuff / paralize the enemy general. A good freeze and you can just sit back and watch as your troops annihilate the helpless enemy god.

The worst is when your melee god is stuck among your own and enemy troops and can't even REACH the enemy god OR escape. A rook trapped among lesser beings while being sniped from all over is just sad. He can't escape, he is surrounded, he can't charge, the enemy is standing behind his troops, he can't kill those troops, they will mow him down (brathasurai, if they are the dinasaur that tosses fireballs with its tail that do a ton of damage)

-Thats reminds me... a big deal is that when using a special damage ability, I sometimes try to target a god and hit a grunt standing between their legs or otherwise blocking the view. I would imagine that it is obvious that I am trying to hit the god with that sort of thing.

- I can NOT view the level tree while dead... I have 30 seconds to stand there and do nothing, but I cannot read up on the ability descriptions? the only other option is to do so while the game is running in earnest...

- units cliping. you have several gods, and units, standing on pretty much the same space, you can't target anything, you can't pick up the +health or +mana that gods drop when they die, and when you give your god an order to move, he starts struggling isntead of either walking or recognizing there is an obstacle and immidiately stopping and trying to hit something.

January 20, 2009 8:09:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

- so far every beta had me redownload the entire 1.3 gigs of the game. So it appears to completely replace the dir. Isn't there a mechanism in impulse allowing incremental updates of only replacing specific files? it could save you a lot of bandwidth and save us a little time. (not that is is a big deal, I can wait a few minutes and the download is very fast. I am just wondering if there is a reason for updates being non incremental)

January 20, 2009 8:11:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

btw, I just wanna say that I am having a blast playing the game. Even in its beta state, this is FUN.

I can't WAIT for the campaign. I LOVE a good epic fantasy story, and with a game (and characters) like demigods this looks like it will be awesome!

January 20, 2009 8:26:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting taltamir,

I can't WAIT for the campaign. I LOVE a good epic fantasy story, and with a game (and characters) like demigods this looks like it will be awesome!

I just have to warn you, the campaign probably isn't what you are thinking of.  There will be singleplayer "tournaments" where you essentially play a combination of skirmish games to try to get into the Pantheon, and there might be a few cutscenes maybe, and there is probably some audio when you win, but you won't be playing the typical RTS campaign games.

I agree about the beta being fun though

January 20, 2009 9:17:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Melee gods dodnt suck look at Rook he riiged 2 spells and your basicly screwed. boulder roll plus hammer slam.

January 21, 2009 8:35:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Soccer194,
Melee gods dodnt suck look at Rook he riiged 2 spells and your basicly screwed. boulder roll plus hammer slam.

I don't see that as much of a problem (yet). It's early days with balancing and there are numerous ways of making sure this strategy is less viable, especially early game. 'm willing to hold on this for a while to see how it progresses.

January 21, 2009 7:00:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Gnats3,
Quoting taltamir, reply 9

I just have to warn you, the campaign probably isn't what you are thinking of.  There will be singleplayer "tournaments" where you essentially play a combination of skirmish games to try to get into the Pantheon, and there might be a few cutscenes maybe, and there is probably some audio when you win, but you won't be playing the typical RTS campaign games.

I agree about the beta being fun though

So, kind of like the unreal tournament 3 campaign then? where you have a series of deathmatches? shame, there is so much potential for an awesome single player here. Nevermind though, I will just play a lot more online competitions instead.

January 22, 2009 10:26:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well just they said they suck and right now Rook is anything but suckish. I realise that he's going to be changed but fior now hes rigged.

on a side note their going to be a story in it aparently but yes sort of like unreal tournament but not like 3 all the other ones yes. U keep on battling until someone becomes a god and than I'm not sure but u have to hold that position for a bit or something we havn't go mush detail on campaign besides the fact that its a tournament.

January 27, 2009 7:46:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Some problems I'm seeing as far as gameplay (some are repetitions of other people's problems, I am simply reaffirming their concerns):

-QoT splash is pretty negligible in Closed Form.

-QoT minions' line damage not well defined.

-Hammer slam AoE not well defined- somewhat of a "line" of full damage emits from it (which makes a lot of sense, really, but it doesn't seem intended)

-Orb of Veiled Storms use effect not doing anything.

-Max movespeed not clearly defined.

-Difficult access to Citadel upgrades, as mentioned above. Perhaps we should be able to buy them from any position on the map?

-Plenor Battlecrown gives a bit too much mana for its gold cost.

-Warlord's Punisher doesn't really burn that much mana, especially for having a 6500 gold cost.

-Assassin's Footguards ...not enough bonus? 5% attack speed is pretty negligible. You wouldn't buy it early game or late game, would you? 

-As a side note, the only problem I see with Rook is that boulder roll allows him to nail all the creeps from afar. Generally every other Demi(even Regulus needs to be closer to use mines) needs to get close to AoE, and the only one who doesn't is ,ironically, Rook.

Other than that, the Boulder + Slam seems okay. For those who say 75% kill or something, I wonder why at that point in the game you don't have more health. If you're Regulus, getting hit by a rock because you stand still is NOT my problem. Seriously, if you see a Rook, play accordingly. Build accordingly. The numbers aren't *perfect* and I agree that it is powerful, but don't expect a Rook-breaking nerf either. Chances are either you're going to have to play differently against Rook than any other Demi. Indeed there should be a different strategy for beating each Demi,with each Demi, and each player is going to have their own way of doing that. That is the beauty of this game.

also, my thoughts on the QoT mana inefficiency issue:

If QoT weren't mana inefficient, you'd be able to spend the money you would have spent on mana items on something else, making her a powerful caster AND powerful fighter/tank at the same time. Is this fair?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time: