The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Suggestion] Provide side (Light/Dark) specific achievements and modify DG appearance accordingly

By on January 14, 2009 12:35:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It seems not many people are looking at the ideas forum (and most suggestiosn are posted outside of it) so I thought I might crosspost in the general room to get some feedback.

The original description is here

Currently we have the Light and Dark sides which basically only affect the colours and design of your buildings. I'd like to suggest to make their presence a bit more active and to give players a chance to belong so to speak. I'd like to suggest side specific achievements

These should be some kind of achievement that you can get by playing a lot from one specific side or doing something else while playing that size. Options could be:

• Play # games on light/dark side. The more games you play on one side, the more powerful the achievement item that is unlocked (so 3 different achievements). An interesting twist to this achievement would be to make it so that you can't accumulate points for your demigod on both sides. Instead, playing on the other side, reduces the points you have (and if it reaches 0 you start accumulating the other way).
  • Kill # demigods of light/dark.
  • Kill # number of light/dark minions. 

These items once unlocked would only be allows to be purchased when a demigod is playing on their specific side. Thus you cannot buy a dark achievement when playing on the light side. Somoene would think this might create a problem when there's a lot of Darkness players in one game where they will all be fighting to get on the other side, but the existence of other achievements to purchase would alleviate this (so you can chose one of the neutral ones for this game)

Their effect isn't all that important at this point but you could have either a different effect for each side or the same. That's just simply on how much balancing and design you want to put into this. A general thing you could have is a light minion boost for all side specific achievements, signifying the moralle boost your side gets by the appearance of their side's DG.

Now, the most interesting thing that could be done with this would be to modify the appearance of the DG when they are using one of these, marking them as Dark or Light by their look. So each DG could have 3 skins, Light, Dark and Neutral. The later is used when a neutral (or no) achievement is equiped while the side specific ones would modify your DG's skin accordinly.

For example, a Dark Regulus could instead of his normal "angelic" look be wearing a black or crimson armor and have Shadow or Bat wings. A Neutral Regulus could have a metal armor and Feather wings while the Light Regulus could have his current Angelic wings and perhaps a an aura.

A Dark Rook on the other hand could be soot black, with burning smoke coming out of his towers or furnaces burning in his eyes, a neutral rook could be as current and a Light Rook could have Holy Flames burining, a coat of arms painted, flags flying and whatnot. These could all be even specific to the achievement equiped (although you might want to avoid that so that others don't figure it out)

Such options would really enhance the visual aspect of the game, as you would truly see an epic battle of Light VS Dark with  Demigods that look the part. Obviously this would create more of a load on the artists but even the side-specific achievements without the artwork would be a good option methinks

+7 Karma | 10 Replies
January 14, 2009 1:11:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd prefer emoting better than different 3d models and effects.

I'd like to reach a flag to enjoy a scene of the opposing team doing a sync dance number. I would be jealous of their synergy.

January 14, 2009 6:59:03 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting mcmjon,
I'd prefer emoting better than different 3d models and effects.

I'd like to reach a flag to enjoy a scene of the opposing team doing a sync dance number. I would be jealous of their synergy.

Animating Emotes would be AWESOME! Like a cheer, dance, rage sort of thing.

January 14, 2009 7:01:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Evanescent,

Animating Emotes would be AWESOME! Like a cheer, dance, rage sort of thing.

I'm sad that from the whole post the only thing being commented on is an entirely different idea

January 14, 2009 10:06:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I dont like the idea that by playing for the same side over and over again, u get other/better items for reasons of fairness. (We already have achievement points, which at the current build are easy to get.)

And there have already been lots of suggestions to the visuals... but im quite sure most of the people already like the visual, the effort should be put in balancing/developping new gema mechanics!

January 14, 2009 10:34:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont like the idea that by playing for the same side over and over again, u get other/better items for reasons of fairness. (We already have achievement points, which at the current build are easy to get.)

Well this is an achievement too so if you think those are balanced then this is the same thing

January 14, 2009 10:34:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting db0,
I'm sad that from the whole post the only thing being commented on is an entirely different idea

My apologies db0, i did pay attention to the original idea although seeing the idea of ingame emote's kind of side tracked me. The idea of Good vs Evil type of factions would be more suited to a persistant type of game, like an RPG (cough Knights of the Old Republic cough). I would like if instead of having to remodel each of the current Demigod's another 2 times each, for the developers to start modelling some new Demigods 

January 14, 2009 11:28:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting an_sa,
I dont like the idea that by playing for the same side over and over again, u get other/better items for reasons of fairness. (We already have achievement points, which at the current build are easy to get.)

I have to agree with this. Light/Dark, its just another name for blue team/red team, cars/motorcycles, etc...

January 14, 2009 3:10:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea but there are a lot of questions about it because it wiill make balance a lot harder if there is anything more than just appearence changes based on team.  Even then I don't know how substantial those changes and their effect would be to warrant the amount of work it takes to complete them.  Before you completely rule this out just think of the achievements in call of duty and how you can unlock items and the do it again and again, that is what gives the online a lot of replay value.

January 14, 2009 3:39:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would like if instead of having to remodel each of the current Demigod's another 2 times each, for the developers to start modelling some new Demigods

A skinjob is generally much much less labour intensive than a whole new model. You don't have to create new skeletons, movements, actions etc, simply change the skin and some effects. Putting multiple skins is generally considered an easy thing to achieve in the modding scene

I have to agree with this. Light/Dark, its just another name for blue team/red team, cars/motorcycles, etc...

Well as I said, if it's a balancing issue, we can always award the same items for both sides. Although from a balance perspective I don't think it's a problem anymore than any other demigod-specific item.

As for having teams people can choose from, where the harm in that?

January 14, 2009 4:54:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'd just rather the Demigod models look different on light/dark period, not just with an achievement.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000218   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.