The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: At Gas Powered Games

By on January 13, 2009 6:40:10 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Day 3 at GPG and there’s tons going on.

Right now, Chris Taylor and I are testing out the latest internal build, making notes, etc. 

So for instance, the war score in the game determines what upgrades in the Citadel are available for purchase with gold. This build may be the first one with that implemented. That’s obviously a big change.

We’re also working heavily on the multiplayer tournament mode where players join either the forces of light or the forces of darkness in a persistent world to help their side ascend to the pantheon.

Then there’s the new intro cut scene which I can’t show but looks really cool.

Here’s some pictures from this week so far.

IMG_0366

Kellyn Beeck, VP of BizDev in the GPG lobby.

IMG_0368

Mmmm. Coffee…

Steve Bauman readies for the day.

Coding and updating on Demigod in “the pit”.

We’re still on schedule for a Thursday beta 2A…

+897 Karma | 23 Replies
January 13, 2009 6:52:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah cant wait for update. thanks for keeping us up to date your the man frogboy.

January 13, 2009 8:05:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the update.  They are much appreciated.

January 13, 2009 8:19:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We’re still on schedule for a Thursday beta 2A…However, we are going to suprise you and release it tomorrow!

Thanks for keeping us up to date, much appreciated!

January 13, 2009 10:04:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Looks like you're having fun as well. 

January 13, 2009 10:15:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for informing us testers

January 13, 2009 10:17:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah we are grateful

January 13, 2009 10:30:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I can't wait for Thursday.

January 13, 2009 11:47:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can anyone at stardock comment on how the netcode is shaping up?

January 14, 2009 12:08:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Woo! I get to play beta 1 for a whole day tomorrow before beta 2 comes out!

Yay new uber computer (And soon to be HD youtube videos of demigod)

January 14, 2009 12:18:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Thrawn2787,
Woo! I get to play beta 1 for a whole day tomorrow before beta 2 comes out!

Yay new uber computer (And soon to be HD youtube videos of demigod)

What we currently have is beta 2.  What comes out, hopefully, on thursday is beta 2a.

January 14, 2009 3:44:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The net code is improving radically.

BUT...

We're still quite unhappy with it.

First, the connection times are way too long. That's what tomororw is going to be focused on by the net team. It can take a good minute for it to connect to another player and people aren't that patient.

Secondly there's still funky stuff.

I would say that in Beta 2, the net code worked 20% of the time.  In beta 2A it'll probably be up to 70% of the time.  By beta 2B hopefully 80%.  By release it should be at 99%.

January 14, 2009 4:06:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
The net code is improving radically.

BUT...

We're still quite unhappy with it.

First, the connection times are way too long. That's what tomororw is going to be focused on by the net team. It can take a good minute for it to connect to another player and people aren't that patient.

Secondly there's still funky stuff.

I would say that in Beta 2, the net code worked 20% of the time.  In beta 2A it'll probably be up to 70% of the time.  By beta 2B hopefully 80%.  By release it should be at 99%.

Great to hear.  My research co-ordinator will not be happy about it though.  If the netcode will improve from 20% to 70%, I will be thrilled.  Here's hopping that also means games bigger than 2v2.

By the way, Frog, you are up ridiculously late.  I have a deadline what is your excuse, playing demigod again? 

January 14, 2009 6:48:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol 20-70, i can live with that.

January 14, 2009 8:50:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I notice the office looks a bit cubically. How do you find that, compared to a setup without the dividing walls? (Obviously I don't know what Stardock has at home.)

January 14, 2009 11:19:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Then there’s the new intro cut scene which I can’t show but looks really cool.

As long as this is not being fixed for me, it will just be ignored

January 14, 2009 11:33:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here's hoping that also means games bigger than 2v2.

That's all I'm looking for.  If this bumps us up to 4 v 4 I'll be happy.  Thanks for the update

January 14, 2009 3:33:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thanks for the update.

thanks for the picture of your coffee machine; it really helps me know what's going with the game's develop [/wanton and gratiutous sarcasm]

PS I lust after your coffee machine.  I want one for my workplace.

January 14, 2009 3:34:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Getting on the plane to head back.

Net code continues to improve.  Right now, the reliability is much better but the performance of connection time -- that is, how long it takes from clicking on a game to connect and actually getting into the game lobby -- is still terrible (think 90 seconds).  

There's a pretty good chance that the Thursday build will still be pretty slow when it comes to actually connecting but that it will be much more reliable in actually working.

January 14, 2009 5:08:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

what about will we actually be able to join games is that under performance. or does performance mean in the game or both.

January 14, 2009 6:13:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He means that it will take a while to connect when you first join games, but it will eventually work.  You just have to wait a minute or two after clicking "join game".

January 14, 2009 7:58:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ok thats what i thought

January 15, 2009 1:28:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow.. All game companies look alike on the inside. It oddly feels like... home.

January 21, 2009 7:37:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

is the netcode really created there? i dont see traits of dark rituals, and omnsiux words  like ·servr rulz clients must obey·

he.. good luck i¡¡¡¡¡¡

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.