The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The War score, is it anti-comeback?

By on January 12, 2009 7:23:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One tweak we made today is that controlling flags will cause war score to go up. Citadel upgrades will cost a certain amount of gold to purchase and require a certain war score to be available to purchase. The combination makes the game play a lot more fun.

I'm both excited and fearful.

I played a great 1v1 against kestrel on prison map.

The first 10-15 mins of the match he had all the flags.

He easily pushed me away from flags by blasting away my health with mines as my fragile TB ran back to base for heals.

I was able to make a comeback because I had citadel upgrades even though he had all flags beginning of match.

If I didn't have access to those upgrades and they were just available to him I don't think the match would have ended the way it did.

Is that ok? If you can't push for flags without dying and play it safe like I did lvling up and purchasing the right citadel upgrades getting ready for a comeback..

Would the war rank make that possible? Because with the war rank implementation Kestrels momentum he would have just steam rolled me.

I like that a DG made for creep killing, snares, support kills, etc... still had a chance to win against someone really good at damage up until I got catalizards then giants.

*disclaimer* I'm not sure how war rank ~actually~ works I just hope it doesn't create the match winner if they are able to hold all flags beginning of match.

+5 Karma | 19 Replies
January 12, 2009 8:45:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know exactly what you meen. Comebacks will be much harder...I think. We will have to try it out

January 12, 2009 10:13:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What it means is in order to get war rank faster u need more flags. We dodnt no if its just going to be with more flags it faster or if its also with lees flags it takes longer than it does now. but I think its good because it adds more strategic depth. u need to control key locations in order to get better tech. This means what u did will be harder and games will be quicker. mcm though since usually flags go back and forth in most of the games I've played with u i dodnt think it will be that bad but sometimes its hard to end a game even though one player is defintly better.

January 13, 2009 12:21:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As it is now no one is gaining true advantages and games last ages. There need to be obvious advantages and comebacks I'm sure can happen by outplaying your opponent to do things. If it's easy to lose an advantage and gain one then it will be much less cut throat and games will be just like it is now

January 13, 2009 7:27:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

At least locking flags have another advantage and perhaps worth the 350 gold now.

I don't think this discussion has any meaning until we test these new changes. Remember they are also adjusting citadel prices so even if you get to WR 6 for catapults before your enemy, you might not be able to afford it rite away.

If the enemy can defend from the catapults for a while then the plan backfired because you gave the enemy free xp.

One more thing, I doubt the war ranks will differ that much unless you give all the flags to your enemy and never attempt to take them back.
January 13, 2009 8:32:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Keeping the Citadels with a Gold cost is the problem - they need to cost a certain amount of War Point, which are gained in a trickle, as the War Rank rises, and for actions that net little gold, but are beneficial to the overall effort of the team (killing towers, capturing flags, etc.). That rewards Demigods sieging enemy lines, which in the current system simply fall behind - making creep/demigod fights the only way to actually win, despite being counterintuitive.

January 13, 2009 9:36:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

that was a good game, mcmjon

January 14, 2009 1:31:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One of the things to bear in mind is that Demigod now has multiple game modes.

So for instance, in Slaughter, there will be few flags on a map because the focus is just killing other Demigods.

We're working on that today actually, not sure what will make it into tomorrow's beta.

January 14, 2009 1:46:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Will these new modes be released in the thursday (ETA) multiplayer patch? Looking forward to trying them out...

-Drexion

January 14, 2009 3:11:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Me too.

-Drexion

January 14, 2009 3:18:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SlipperySnake,
Me too.

-Drexion

lol, that was great

January 14, 2009 3:23:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

guys just wait till tomorrow and we'll see what they could add to the beta.

January 15, 2009 12:16:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DatonKallandor,
Keeping the Citadels with a Gold cost is the problem - they need to cost a certain amount of War Point, which are gained in a trickle, as the War Rank rises, and for actions that net little gold, but are beneficial to the overall effort of the team (killing towers, capturing flags, etc.). That rewards Demigods sieging enemy lines, which in the current system simply fall behind - making creep/demigod fights the only way to actually win, despite being counterintuitive.

Wouldn't the problem be the lack of a bonus for seiging as opposed to a gold cost for citadel upgrades?  I agree that seiging should be rewarded better, but it really has nothing to do with the way the citadel or war points are being handled in the new build.

January 15, 2009 6:20:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

gold is fine because it allows for 2 strats uber Dg or uber citadel or even up them both or any combination

January 15, 2009 9:44:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ragarth,
Will these new modes be released in the thursday (ETA) multiplayer patch? Looking forward to trying them out...

-Drexion

Yes.

The other modes will be in but I don't think that the flag placement based on mode will be in.

My favorite two modes so far are fortress and slaughter.

Capture the flag is in there too (literally run to the other side, get the flag and bring it back to base).  Not really my cup of tea.

January 15, 2009 10:33:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

maybe u should make it so flags in mid when u get it u walk really slowly cant attack and it takes like 10 sec to pick up.

January 15, 2009 11:21:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hope to have lots of fun with war points.

January 16, 2009 10:19:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The other modes will be in but I don't think that the flag placement based on mode will be in.

So Conquest will have different flag placement than Slaughter, that sort of thing?

Capture the flag is in there too (literally run to the other side, get the flag and bring it back to base). Not really my cup of tea.

Since I was 8 years old or so and we used to get giant camo-ninja games -had a soft spot for Capture the Flag

January 16, 2009 10:52:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

IMO, on a typical map, matches shouldn't be lasting more than 20 minutes unless the teams are evenly balanced.

January 16, 2009 11:15:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreed.  Right now (against AI) it's possible to finish a 5 v 5 game in 10 minutes or so.

A balanced 1 v 1 can go over 60 minutes, and it would be nice if that could be dropped down some. 

It seems like two balanced players will hit stalemate and it becomes a question of who can grind more effectively.   

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.