The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Galactic Civilizations II and its expansions

By on January 9, 2009 12:44:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey there, got a question for Sins and GalCivII owners. Currently I own and play Sins and Civilization 4 (with Beyond the Sword expansion). Civ4 sort of takes care of the turn based empire building, trade and diplomatic strategy gaming while Sins gives me that real-time strategy only on a much larger scale gaming type of fix. I've heard and read a lot about GalCivII and its expansions and have seen them win many awards and so on (and I have some extra Best Buy gift cards from Christmas that are burning a hole in my wallet).

My question is: Am I really missing anything strategy game-wise by not playing GalCivII? I mean from what I'm seeing it has a feel of Civ4 in it except that it's in space (like Sins). I realize there is a storyline campaign in GalCivII which is something that interests me since I almost never play games like these online. But aside from the story is there anything in the experience of playing GalCivII that I'm not getting by mixing my time with Sins and Civ4?

Thanks for any comments.

+26 Karma | 15 Replies
January 9, 2009 12:53:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, though I own GalCiv 2 I don't get to play it very much. I think the main fundamental difference is that in GalCiv 2 you do actually get to design your own ships. You research various weapons and components, and while there are some premade ships, a lot of the fun is in putting together your very own. The designer is pretty awesome, actually - ship parts have points where you can attach other parts to, so you grab a hull and depending on its size you can have practically hundreds of little points to attach other components to. There are lots and lots of "decoration" type components that you can attach (and resize so they look fitting) on top of the standard weapons/sensors/life support/engines/armor/shields to basically create the Ship of Dreams.

I'd say that's really the biggest feature that stands out.

January 9, 2009 1:11:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's going to depend on your taste in games.  Galciv2 is never the same game twice.  The AI is great, and it's really fun to see how each game unfolds.  It can be brutally punishing on higher difficulties.

I've never played the Civ games, so I can't really react to your question all that well.

It's a 4x type of game, just like Civilization.  Is it just Civilization in space?  From what I've heard and read from Civilization fans, no it's not.  It's different.  Will you like it?  Who knows, try it out.

All I know is that if I was stranded on a desert island and I had Galciv2 with me, I'd likely never be bored.

January 9, 2009 1:20:02 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

I almost never play games like these online.

GalCiv2 doesn't have online multiplayer. 

+ You play against the AI in the campaign.   Each expansion pack also has a campaign.

+ You can play custom game against any number of AI opponents and a bunch of other settings you can tweak.

+ You can also play a "metaverse" game which is basically a single player game where you finish it and then post your score to an online leaderboard.  There are a ton of people on the galciv2.com forums that are really into it.  There are even Metaverse Leagues where the scores you post are part of a team leaderboard effort.

January 9, 2009 2:11:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Its cheap. I got my copy of dread lords (havent got the other xpacs) for I think $20, and that was about a year ago. So, even if you don't like it and only play through one gigantic sized map for 20 hours, and you will have gotten more hours for your money than many games now a days

And I can gaurrentee you will enjoy it if you like both Civ and Sins...

January 9, 2009 3:36:33 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I like GalCiv II way more than Civ4. The setting in space is just much cooler. I do not like the comic style of Civ4.

Besides these issues of taste - GalCiv II is another game than Civ4. Maybe the basic system is in parallel, but you cannot compare them i think. And i believe GCII is more complex. It may be because i spent much more time with GCII and it reveals more and more of its tactical complexity when you get deeper into it. Just give it a try, at least the demo. If you are into 4X strategy GCII definitely shouldnt be missed. It is one of the best, for sure.

January 9, 2009 4:26:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is going to sound strange, but GalCiv feels less gamey to me than Civ.

I have all three games (Sins, Civ, Gal Civ) and while GalCiv and Civ are more similar than Call of Duty and GalCiv, they're still distinctly different and have completely different play styles.

If you do pick up GalCiv, you need all three expansions. The third expansion Twilight of Arnor adds so much to the game that it really does feel like GalCiv III to me. You may be on a Stardock website, but GalCiv II is one of my favorite games and I play it way more than I play Civ. and it has nothing to do with being in space.

January 9, 2009 10:59:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You kidding me!? Gal Civ 2 Twilight is one of the best if not THE best turn strategy game or for that matter strategy game out there, is not just Civ4 in space is waaaaaaaaaay better and I agree i own all three Civ4, Sins and Gal Civ2 and last time I checked the only one that kept me playing 6 months straight (and I mean straight i didnt played anything else and spent 2-10 hours playing) every day of the week.

January 10, 2009 12:49:28 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I played Civ4 for about month a couple of years ago. I bought GC2 and haven't played Civ 4 more than an hour or two since. Still playing GC2(and Expansions) over two years later .

January 10, 2009 5:23:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There's undoubtedly great replayability in GCII. The ship designer is certainly one of its major advantages, but there's also great depth in strategy and game mechanisc- especially in the second expansion, where every civ gets its own tech tree, bonuses and can use its own strategies. The AI is pretty impressive too, at least on higher levels.

Some players, however, may be put off by the simplicity of battle mechanics: It's resolved in auto, and the most powerful fleet (in terms of attack vs. defence points) wins. There are many factors influencing that, though, with military starbases or special fleet-wide bonuses applied by 'command vessels' in the fleet (a recent addition in Twilight of the Arnor), and also one can always get the strategic advantage by investing in research of a different kind of weapon (beams, missiles or mass drivers) that the opponent has no defences for. So many strategic options are indeed possible, if not on the level you would find in MOO or Space Empires.

If GalCiv had that kind of battle complexity too, it would be one of the best 4X games ever. No, strike that- It is one of the best already; it would become THE best.

January 13, 2009 1:39:15 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Sotris,
If GalCiv had that kind of battle complexity too, it would be one of the best 4X games ever. No, strike that- It is one of the best already; it would become THE best.

QFT. 

The lack of controllable space battles is really the only major complaint I've ever had with GalCiv 2, and even that is largely outshone by everything else.  The strong diplomacy system, the amazing level of customization options, and the superb AI are pretty much everything I've ever wanted in a space strategy game.   

January 13, 2009 11:23:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Galciv is the only space strategy game I have ever played. I am more of a Fantasy player myself.

However once I tried galciv2 I was hooked. There is just so many different possib ilities when playing that game that's it's way out there.

You can play with as many opponenets as you want in a univers as big as you want. You can try and be a xenophobe species or the biggest merchant in the univers. You can be a manipulator and pull the strings from behind, or you can be a tyrant and kill everybody. You can have anykind of strategy game with Galciv. IT'S  NOT A SPACE SIMULATION GAME and it's NOT A COMBAT SIMULATOR. battle are resolved by the AI but everything else you have a control over.

I enjoy it very much. it's never boring once you find the exact difficulty level you need. There is like 10 different difficulty levels so it can be perfectely tuned to the user. That is hot. The AI is very very good. The ebst I've ever played.

I suggest you try it! You won't be sorry.

January 13, 2009 11:42:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks folks for all the input. I think I'm pretty well convinced I'll get the game along with its expansions. I've been looking for a package deal and I see that Stardock has all three downloadable for about $60. However, I see that Amazon.com has a release date of an 'Ultimate Edition' that will be released mid-February that they have listed for $39.99. Of course, I never trust Amazon's release dates but hopefully it'll be out soon.

Thanks again for all the comments. Also, I tried the demo but with no tutorials included I was quickly lost. Looking forward to seeing the tutorials in the real game and playing through the campaign to get the hang of things.

January 13, 2009 11:59:16 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Charvel1,

Thanks again for all the comments. Also, I tried the demo but with no tutorials included I was quickly lost. Looking forward to seeing the tutorials in the real game and playing through the campaign to get the hang of things.

Just dont expect too much from the tutorials - they cant give you more than a basic instruction. It is normal to be a bit overwhelmed but once you managed the learning curve it becomes rewarded by a truly great game. I am not a big gamer anymore but this game somehow managed to suck me in again and letting me spend whole days with playing. Which proves to me that graphics almost dont matter in terms of fun, in GalCiv you get offered a good looking game too if you want to zoom in, but i spent most of the time in the tactical map wondering how moving symbols can be that addicting. It really is a great piece of game design.

So welcome to the world of addicts where the basic sentence in your life will be "Just one more turn..."

January 13, 2009 12:36:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I heard that GC2 is really good, that the AI is gold, i tried the demo with braindead AIs.. and found its fun (ship designer is cool!). Might buy it. A bit sad that its only single player

Space empires 5 is fun.. but is micromanagement hell and the UI is not very good. If youlike designing and microing everything you will love it, and you have almost limitless options. Gallaxies might have 50+ systems with hundreds of planets in it. The mod "Balance mod" is the best thing out there cuz the basic game isnt much fun. What i dont like about SE5 is that, later in the game, a turn might takes 20-40 minutes to do cuz of the microing. so SE5 will eat your free time. i still play it anyway.

The perfect game could be the options of SE5, with the AI, diplomacy and ship building of GC2 and the UI and gameplay of SoaSE... With multiplayer and mod support.

January 17, 2009 1:29:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Opinions and taste are subjective, but here is mine: As good as GCII--ToA is (and it is very, very good), it still can't hold a candle to CivIV. YMMV depending on your tastes. First, I invariably play a turtle/development oriented strategy in TBS games. This is just way more interesting in CivIV since you have a whole lot more development tools at hand. Not only is the entire workers/city resources concept absent from GCII, but the number of city (or planet) developments  is limited by PQ. That is a very viable gameplay concept to enforce choices, but to a development oriented player, it is just way less fun than CivIV. Second, the CivIV UI is just much better. Plus CivIV is a much more transparent game. Documentation (by which I mean both manuals and ingame info such as rollovers) has always been Stardock's most obvious weakness. Through the Civilopedia (a feature GCII has always badly needed) and rollovers, information on just about everything is at your fingertips in CivIV. You can calculate, to a couple of decimal places, exactly what the effect of building a city improvement will be. You can't do that in GCII (or at least I have never been able to in several years of trying). This lack of transparancy in GCII has always been my biggest frustration with the game.

I also admit that designing units, which most consider a major strength of GCII, is actually a negative for me. Although I thrive on micromanagement (governors and automated workers are a heresy to me) this concept just leaves me cold and represents unwanted work. I largely felt the same way about unit design when Firaxis used it in the classic Alpha Centauri. (I recognize I was in the minority in both games.) Finally, and this is getting even more subjective, I find GCII (and space 4x games generally) to be a bit abstract. Stardock has done a great job with GCII's graphics, but they are less involving to me than the real world geography of Civ. (Which is a bit ironic since I have been a SF fan for decades.) Nor does building bigger starships provide me with the same satisfaction of  moving my primitive civ through the bronze age, the Renaissance, and the Space Age.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.