The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Suggestion] Rename the Player Unit Classifications

Hero units

By on December 25, 2008 10:43:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just cant reconcile the word "assassin" with the in game use of it. To me an assassin is an up close and personal deliver of death in a mono on mono situation when not expected and often thick of subterfuge. Moreover the etymology of the word has other connotations. Consequently my gamer sense keeps rejecting the idea of an assassin as a melee fighter in frontline combat. I think the term used should be "war fighter" or "warrior" or even "solider" since we have the different forces going head to head.

It would also be nice to use some Greek words given the nature of the game. For example "polemistis" basically means warrior and "machitis" mean fighter. Moreover the same can be said for "generals" how about using "strateios" or "strategia" or something along those lines. I'm sure someone here can speak Greek natively that can tell us correct ancient words. Anyway I'm sure you guys get the idea.

+171 Karma | 12 Replies
December 26, 2008 10:41:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree to an extent, but I think it is not important enough to change; everyone is already used to it.

December 26, 2008 11:40:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That "killing people in the shadows" is just one interpretation of the word. While it is the one most commonly used in the gaming world, it is also the one least used outside the world of gaming. Assassination can also mean to kill a person who is a public figure, or to kill for ideological causes. It suits fine, I don't think it needs a change.

I don't quite see the connection with greek mythology, beyond the use of the word pantheon. Can you explain further?

December 26, 2008 1:50:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Heavenfall - that is my point about the mono on mono situation involving subterfuge. Also the connection with Greek mythology is inherent at least to my knowledge given the nature of our language and the heroes of ancient Greece.

December 26, 2008 2:34:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, but most cultures have some gods and heroes. What makes you think it's SPECIFICALLY ancient greece? Just sounds a bit far fetched. If I remember correctly, the demigods in greek mythology were mostly given that "title" because they had one mortal and one immortal parent (or a god otherwise helped out at conception). In this game, they are mortals who have grown so powerful through impossible deeds or misdeeds that they simply cannot be compared to other beings in this world (and when the one true god disappears, they all want to take his old place).

Anyway, point being, demigods are not only found in ancient greece but in judaism, christianity, buddhism, celtic folklore, norse mythology and so on and on.

December 29, 2008 2:15:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

While I don't know about Greek names, I would agree with changing the name from Assassing to something else.  Assassin may not necesarily (sp?) mean a killer in the shadows , I also don't think it means a friggin' walking castle

December 29, 2008 3:02:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Haha you just made me LOL

January 2, 2009 11:52:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't agree with the Greek culture angle, it's not necessary and counter productive.

I do agree with renaming the Assassin into something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashshashin

It's an interesting history lesson, but entirely unfitting of a word.

January 2, 2009 12:07:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It does not have to be Greek. That is just what comes to mind for me given the official name. There are many mythologies to pull from. I am curious on how using Greek words would be counterproductive however.

January 2, 2009 5:21:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think we should change it but I also think we shouldn't change assasin to something else. on 1 hand an assasin to me isn't walking castle like Rook, on the other hand everytime I call Rook an assasin espicially to my friends they crack up. cause its funny and another reson to leave it alon is because their really called assasins because they kill other demigods.

February 1, 2009 5:21:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Soccer194,
I think we should change but I also think we shouldn't change assasin to something else. on 1 hand assasin to me isn't walking castle, on the other hand everytime I call Rook an assasin espicially to my friends they crack up.

the day I could understand you at all

I thought assassin was really weird at first, but I can't think of anything else that fits, and I'm used to it.

February 3, 2009 3:32:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sry, yeah to me it makes sense but to everyone else it doesnt. i edited it though. hope u like it.

February 3, 2009 3:57:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Current usage of "Assassin" is anyone who trains specifically for the purpose of taking life with efficiency.  No one is saying Rook has his roots in an ancient sect of drugged fighters, but they spawned a word which works to describe him, because they do the same thing.  Methodology varies, but killing is the tie that binds a walking castle and a fallen angel...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.