The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Suggestion] Demigods occlude each other's movement?

By on December 23, 2008 7:31:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's not really a new or radical idea but I'd quite like for demigods to have some kind of occlusion radius vs other demigods, both friendly and enemy.

With the sheer number of NPC grunts I think it's better to be able to walk through them, but with other demigods it could help with a few things:

Firstly it would make rook's large size count for something more than being a more obvious target.

Secondly, without it currently demigods that focus on the same target tend to stack up on top of each other, which it makes very hard to target any specific one.

Thirdly it just adds all those little nuiances of "body blocking" which gives careful positioning more value.

Finally, if it were added to a general's minions too it would give a purpose to the high-hp/low-damage minotaurs as well as benifits to controling minions rather than box select -> mass attack. It would even make "knocks back small units" a more useful effect.

On the other hand I can't think of any definitive drawbacks to having demigods block each other's movement, no maps are tight enough to completely block a lane so that won't be a problem.

Thanks

+5 Karma | 7 Replies
December 23, 2008 8:09:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think your onto something here. Giving Demigod's a collision radius would provide many benefits like you have stated, most noteabley when Demigod's stack on top of one another.

At the moment I'm pretty sure you can hide 'inside' a friendly players Rook and be virtually untargetable.

December 23, 2008 8:29:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wanted this for a long time.

/Signed

December 23, 2008 1:35:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You'll have to be careful with this.  In previous builds you could block a portal so that all the grunts got trapped, meaning that when you let them out you had an uber-storm of grunts flooding out, not to mention the denial possibilities... 

December 23, 2008 3:02:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What kinda build did you play?? This was not in either beta's.

Also, you don't have collision detection with creeps, and friendly general minions.

P.S. Instead of full collision, make it a sort of push through system: when you try to walk through a other DG, your movements speed is lowered.

December 23, 2008 3:25:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yah, this was in the last Beta, LK.  No one used it but it existed. 

December 23, 2008 6:46:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I remember the giant's inadvertantly blocking the path on the lava level as well, that was a real map killer.

To clarify here I'm talking about Demigod vs. Demigod collision, I believe Demigod vs. Grunt collision should remain nil, as it is.

What I'm thinking of here is demigods opperating on a different "layer" (for lack of a better word) than grunts when it comes to blocking where they only affect each other not the little guys.

I've just remembered the Sup com engine has a tendancy not to recognise pathing obstacles in messy situations and repeatedly "bounce" off them. That might be less than fun if that part of the engine remains untouched.

December 24, 2008 4:32:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just make you slow if you go through other DG's.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.