The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

First round of tossing pennies ($.02)

Some mechanic thoughts and a few tweaks

By on December 22, 2008 4:01:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First, I have everything loaded out at 1920x1200 and full AA... looks stunning - no graphical issues or hiccups.

I'm new to Demigod, so after 30ish games in less than 24 hours I have a few thoughts (in no particular order):

A. At present, to change directions requires right clicking. I would love the option for right click to move you continuously. That is to say, if you right click and hold it that you keep moving wherever the cursor is, and as you move the cursor over the screen, you turn to walk that direction. If while doing this you let go, wherever the cursor was is where you'll end up. If you just right click, without holding, you will move as currently implemented. In every way, I want this.

B. Circle of Fire (Torch Bearer): This isn't just a thought for Circle of Fire necessarily, but, when clicking circle of fire, it immediately shoots the circle out from where you're standing. It's a nice AoE effect, no doubt, but having a "primer" function of some sort would be nice - say clicking on the effect (or hitting its key) and then having a circle that lays over the ground that gives you the choice of where to "lay" the effect - at which time your character will walk over and release the effect. Essentially, the Rain of Ice primer function is what I'm talking about, only instead of casting it from a distance, you'll walk to the circle center and then cast.

Additionally, double tapping the key or double clicking the icon would have the current effect of releasing it over your current location. I've wasted a lot of mana feeling like I'm going to see where I can "lay" the effect, just to have it go off with no enemies in my radius.

Finally, this isn't 100% necessary, I started to remember over the course of a few games, but double clicking/tapping would allow both functions to be present.

C. I've seen some people discussing ways to distinguish between active and passive abilities. Perhaps in the skill tree if the passive abilitiy icons (including the Enhanced Attributes) were squares instead of circles?

D. I have noticed sometimes when purchasing Achievments that they don't carry over (I may not still be fully aware of how to ensure they do) and, also, that sometimes when I purchase an Achievment for a game that it doesn't move into the Achievment slot automatically. I say this because sometimes it has, and sometimes I've had to click it multiple times or even what I felt like was a click and drag to get it to load up.

E. While playing as the Torch Bearer, when I've died, upon respawning my default abilities selected are the ice abilities. If I've chosen to go 100% (or mostly, in general) fire, I have to re-use "Relive the Immolation" every time I respawn. My thought here is to have whatever skillset (fire or ice) you had chosen when you die to be the skillset you're on when you resurrect. No doubt it's easy enough to just click on RTI, but it would be nice to spawn ready to go.

F. I was playing a game with a friend and, after us both hitting level 25 and coming close to the end, one of us lost sync. I hit okay and the window advising me of this closed, but it popped back up about five seconds later... and again after closing, repeat, etc. I know the purpose of the gameplay is lost when sync is incomplete, but would a kick function be choice here?

F1: Also, in another game a friend knocked his computer and it reset. A different screen (lost connection) came up, with a timer of how long he'd been gone that progressed with more time. There was no function that allowed me to kick him, or to close that popup, or even cancel the game. My mouse would move but I had absolutely no control.

That's it for now. I intend to play more and will try to find more constructive thoughts or suggestions.

It feels great in so many ways thus far. Congratulations on what has already been accomplished.

Best-

0 Karma | 8 Replies
December 22, 2008 5:42:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreed on all counts, although I personally dont have any trouble distinguishing between passive and active abilities.

As a note though, If I had to choose between Torch Bearers current circle of fire mechanism and your proposed one, I would much rather keep the current one simply because its easiest to use in a tight spot. However, if both were included, as you suggested, I would have no problem with that.

December 22, 2008 6:43:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Stilbine,
Agreed on all counts, although I personally dont have any trouble distinguishing between passive and active abilities.

Agreed, I don't either, but I thought it might make it easier for those who might not play all characters frequently or who are new to the game to distinquish.

Quoting Stilbine,
As a note though, If I had to choose between Torch Bearers current circle of fire mechanism and your proposed one, I would much rather keep the current one simply because its easiest to use in a tight spot. However, if both were included, as you suggested, I would have no problem with that.

Thanks-

edit: Has anyone commented on the insanly goofy look of the forum smilies? I know smilies can be easily(ish) changed... ?!?

December 22, 2008 10:10:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

E. While playing as the Torch Bearer, when I've died, upon respawning my default abilities selected are the ice abilities. If I've chosen to go 100% (or mostly, in general) fire, I have to re-use "Relive the Immolation" every time I respawn. My thought here is to have whatever skillset (fire or ice) you had chosen when you die to be the skillset you're on when you resurrect. No doubt it's easy enough to just click on RTI, but it would be nice to spawn ready to go.

I'd like to add to this as well and say further, in addition to what I'm suggesting, that it also be possible to switch modes while moving, instead of having to stop and thus negate any move order you've given.

December 22, 2008 10:30:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

F1:

There is an eject from game, but the area you can actually click is TINY! I've been able to kick people by clicking like a madman while moving my mouse over the EJECT FROM GAME button.

Not acceptable but a workaround if needed.

December 22, 2008 10:45:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i has the same problem with F and D I hope the devs see this and no what to put in updates.

December 22, 2008 11:27:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The connection dialogs will definitely be receiving love. That small dialog Teseer is talking about is placeholder and wretched

December 23, 2008 3:55:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for responding, Tyo- if you head back this way, I was curious if any of these other ideas or possible (whether or not they'll be implemented, can you comment on, for example, suggestion A?)

I'm enjoying this, though - and thanks!

Best-

December 23, 2008 4:04:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The connection dialogs will definitely be receiving love. That small dialog Teseer is talking about is placeholder and wretched

Ah yes, thank you.  Right now there is like a pixel of hypertext that triggers the eject.  Have to be in a pretty zen place to find it

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.