The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Suggestion] Map Feedback

Complexity and Line of Sight suggestion

By on December 22, 2008 2:28:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think that the maps in Demigod do not add enough to the gameplay and could have much more potential.I realize this can be hard to change, but perhaps in new map designs you could benefit from the suggestions below.

I appologize in advance for the comparison to DotA / Warcraft 3, but it is necessary as an example of what I think is missing.

There is no "Line of Sight" based gameplay, or almost none, primarily because the maps have a very simple layout and few obstructions. There are no differences in eleveations - the maps are flat all the way through.

Here's an example of line of sight gameplay:

Here's an example of the map complexity: Main paths lighted in Blue. Secondary Paths in White. "Secret" paths in Orange and Red.

In Demigod the movement choice is almost always "forward" or "back", there's some lane positioning, and there are a few intersections, but not nearly enough to create significant movement based gameplay.

I'm not saying that Demigod should become a DotA clone - but to get inspired by some of the most fun map concepts that gave that old game so much longevity. The ability to hide your movements and the requirement to predict your enemy's path on a slightly more complex map can go a long way to add gameplay depth to this title.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Posted in the wrong section and without [Suggestion] in the title. Please move this to "Demigod Ideas" and edit the title if possible.

Thank you.

+1 Karma | 9 Replies
December 22, 2008 4:41:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I totaly agree, and would love to see complex maps.

but Its will be very hard to creat a map like this in Demigod style right now because there no trees or water and map are smaller. For the time of lucnch it will sure not be ready

but, if the game sells well and there will be support in modding I will expect to see more complex maps and maybe even in a post-release.

December 22, 2008 4:46:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks!

The trees can be themed to match the Demigod style - they could be columns and buildings.

I think this is important enough for release, but wouldn't mind waiting for extended content.

December 22, 2008 5:01:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

really interresting, but i fear that i would need to rewrite many parts of demigod code; the line of sight is only manage via the distance, the obstacles do not (for what i know) modify it. moreover, the units shoots whatever they see and it at range, that would become very problematic with trees and a realistic line of sight because units would probably just shoot on the trees (the supcom engine, unlike w3' one know what balistic means, and oddly enough it is a problem here). You could always make transparent for projectiles trees, but i imagine it would be a bit weird (even if w3 doesn't care at all)

Also, i am not sure but i think that demigod engine is a bit too greedy in computing power to be able to show an entire forest(i want to add that i am saying that without knowing if i am right or wrong, i am just suspecting this).

But still, it would be awesome to have a dota-like map with many sideways and secret passages, even if i think that the disparition of dota's creeps is mostly a good thing (who really wants to fight some dumb AI instead of real players during an online match?)

December 22, 2008 11:34:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No trees, seriously.

Demigod has it's graphical style - like a styled chessboard. Demigod does have line of sight mechanic - Fog of War. 

I don't think it will be too complicated to work with Fog of War and introduce obsticles. In form these could be buildings or ruins with passages in between.

December 25, 2008 3:11:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The levels in demigod are very bland, though I do like the stylization.  They just need more complexity.  Completely symmetrical maps become hard on the eyes after a while, and not having to "learn" maps is going to hurt replay value.

Also noteworthy is that players can modify the map of DOTA by destroying trees.  Theres an item to eat a tree and some heroes destroy trees en mass (force of nature).

I would rather draw ideas from dawn of war's or WoW battleground map styling than DOTA though.  They're more simple, but still allow for complex factors.  The battle ground "eye of the storm" feels extremely relevant to demigod.

December 25, 2008 10:17:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I also agree - firmly. Elevation and geographical elements which enhance the tactical game play would be necessary for me to not lose interested after several hours of play.

December 31, 2008 5:04:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree their should be elevations and  buildings or something but dodn't think that geographical changes should do alot or anything at all. I'm more in favor for tiny changes like going alittle faster when downhill and alittle slower up hill.

January 1, 2009 1:20:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Soccer194,
I agree their should be elevations and  buildings or something but dodn't think that geographical changes should do alot or anything at all. I'm more in favor for tiny changes like going alittle faster when downhill and alittle slower up hill.

So you're fine with keeping the game very simplistic on the tactical level? Plain tug of war maps with little to no variation in moves?

January 7, 2009 11:14:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dodnt like the idea of bid differnces because it gives ranged demigods a big edge. So yes if up higher up maybe a little larger ranges but not major things that will give regulus in perticular a big edge when hes already a beast.Also maps right now arn't plain tug of war, maybe besides prison

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000093   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.