The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

My Beta 2 Review (Gameplay Impressions)

By on December 21, 2008 9:59:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is a fresh oppinion post of what I think of the game thus far.

Items:

- Heroes should spawn closer to the starting item shop on some maps.
- Items should be a bit more specialized for tactical builds. Something like Orb effects in Dota might be good to look at. ie: item that ignores armor - smart players would buy this to counter gods like the Rook. item that burns mana, good against gods like torch bearer.

Stats:

- Armor currenting reads as '+32.0% Weapon Mitigation Damage' - Should just read something like  '32% Mitigation'

Maps:

- Maps are too open. Need more narrow areas for experienced players to take advantage of.
- Would be nice to see some elevation that add small accuracy modifiers to creeps and payers.
- Add secret flags that are hidden in the fog away from creep paths.

Creeps:

- Need fewer creeps at the start of the game.
- Creeps should defend their gods and change targets to anyone deliberatly attacking them.

Demigods:

- Need lower base stat

User Interface:

- Minimap should be more transparent
- General's minions should have better indicators of which minion is selected.

Controls / AI (my biggest gripe):

- I'd love it if I could more specifically move or attack move like other RTS games.
- I don't want my gods to just sit there not attacking nearby creeps unless I specifically tell him to hold his position. If I'm zoomed out far so I can see what's going on around the map, I want to know that my hero is still attacking creeps and not just standing there watching the fight.

That's good for now I think. I personally think this would bring more depth to gameplayer.

New players can still jump right into game play. But an experienced player would know which builds to kill which demigod, where to find the hidden flags for more advantage, how and when to attack other gods or bate opposing players to attack him so that creeps whittle him down.

+1 Karma | 16 Replies
December 21, 2008 10:55:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I heavily disagree to following points of you:

Maps:

- Maps are too open. Need more narrow areas for experienced players to take advantage of.

- Would be nice to see some elevation that add small accuracy modifiers to creeps and payers.

Creeps:

- Creeps should defend their gods and change targets to anyone deliberatly attacking them.

I agree to the need for nearer shop + spawnpoint + healing station

and i also would like to see some more specialized items.

The rest of your points are very unimportant or in my opinion particularly even great like they are now.

December 21, 2008 12:15:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ViViDGear,
I heavily disagree to following points of you:

Why?

December 21, 2008 12:42:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A few points:

This can be done with other maps in the game. I think that it's good to have different styles, from narrow and closed-in (none, really), to absolutely wide-open (a la Prison).

No. After the first game on a given map, you end up knowing where the 'secret' flags are. Why not just put them on the minimap and have them function like off-the-beaten-path flags do now?

I could get behind elevation if it were implemented sensibly. Everything else I pretty much agree with.

December 21, 2008 12:42:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm actually a big fan of these changes, gj The Jooma

December 21, 2008 2:12:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hello bardus good game. Alaso yes health station spawn point and item shop should be closer. I think creep level at beggining is fine. elevation would be nice but small changes maybe how far u can see and how far u can shoot if ranged. Yes about generals more obvious control of minions. Yeah demigod should attack units even if u didn't tell it to.

These changes would be pretty nice.

December 21, 2008 2:24:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is a fresh oppinion post of what I think of the game thus far.

Items:

- Heroes should spawn closer to the starting item shop on some maps.
- Items should be a bit more specialized for tactical builds. Something like Orb effects in Dota might be good to look at. ie: item that ignores armor - smart players would buy this to counter gods like the Rook. item that burns mana, good against gods like torch bearer.

Stats:

- Armor currenting reads as '+32.0% Weapon Mitigation Damage' - Should just read something like  '32% Mitigation'

Maps:

Creeps:

Demigods:

- Need lower base stat

User Interface:

- I'd love it if I could more specifically move or attack move like other RTS games.
- I don't want my gods to just sit there not attacking nearby creeps unless I specifically tell him to hold his position. If I'm zoomed out far so I can see what's going on around the map, I want to know that my hero is still attacking creeps and not just standing there watching the fight.

That's good for now I think. I personally think this would bring more depth to gameplayer.

New players can still jump right into game play. But an experienced player would know which builds to kill which demigod, where to find the hidden flags for more advantage, how and when to attack other gods or bate opposing players to attack him so that creeps whittle him down.

I agree with all of your points.  They sound good to me.

December 21, 2008 2:41:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So what you are trying to say is you want "demigod behavior" customization, simple:

Passive (attack only when command issued)

Neutral (attack what is next to you, but don't go out of your way to attack unless command given)

Aggressive (attack anything you see).

Also persuit level (how far a demigod will travel without a command given):

Standing: no persuit

50%: Half way to it's sight range

100%: all the way to the edges of it's sight range.

The center spot will always be the spot the last command was issued. not where the demigod currently resides.

Demigods need lower base stats:

I agree, they are too powerful. Creeps are just annoyances attacking towers. They don't actually offer anything useful in demigod vs demigod battlefield (just a tad bit of chip damage) at least in DotA you didnt run off to enemy base to kill towers without some creeps around being useful and supplying extra damage.

December 21, 2008 2:46:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think another overlooked point in Demigod is there needs to be bigger margins of levels. You just don't notice differences between a demigod who is 2-3 levels above someone else.

December 21, 2008 2:52:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow i win alot of games with my grunts not creeps. Also are u joking me in Dota after a bit u dodn't even bother killing creeps cause the only thing that can actually kill u is other heroes. u can kill towers and barely get a scratch once u get like halfway through the game.

December 21, 2008 2:52:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting astonerbum,
So what you are trying to say is you want "demigod behavior" customization, simple:

Passive (attack only when command issued)

Neutral (attack what is next to you, but don't go out of your way to attack unless command given)

Aggressive (attack anything you see).

Also persuit level (how far a demigod will travel without a command given):

Standing: no persuit

50%: Half way to it's sight range

100%: all the way to the edges of it's sight range.

The center spot will always be the spot the last command was issued. not where the demigod currently resides.

Demigods need lower base stats:

I agree, they are too powerful. Creeps are just annoyances attacking towers. They don't actually offer anything useful in demigod vs demigod battlefield (just a tad bit of chip damage) at least in DotA you didnt run off to enemy base to kill towers without some creeps around being useful and supplying extra damage.

I think it would be easier to solve the idle demigods by introducing an attack move, that way we won't need 2-3 more buttons on the UI.

And about the Demigods, they ARE Demigods, this isn't DotA you're not just a hero and the gameplay should reflect this. once you're fighting with giants you'll see how annoying creeps can be.

December 21, 2008 3:17:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think it would be easier to solve the idle demigods by introducing an attack move, that way we won't need 2-3 more buttons on the UI.

Alt-Rightclick. Already in, but no graphical confirmation.

December 21, 2008 5:07:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, a lot of these things are already in the game like attack move, they're just not active.

December 21, 2008 5:43:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As someone who doesn't play DotA, how do open maps decrease the skill involved? That is somewhat counter-intuitive.

December 22, 2008 5:40:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am not really sure what you guys mean by open maps, but when you are talking about the skill involved what you really need is different elavations and different fog of wars so you can preform jukes.

And I really disagree with the hidden flags that only the experience players know about and the new players do not. That sir does not bring more depth to the game just an unfair advantage imo.

December 22, 2008 6:35:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah and open maps dodn't decrease skill level, they make it so not only do u have to watch what your fighting but u have to make sure some demigod doesn't charge u from the side or behind which involves more skill. As it was said before when 2 giants are bashing u creeps dodn't seem as bad as they were before. Actually their called grunts. I have won several battles enfact were my demigod was 8 levels lower than the ones on the opposing team yet still, I won because I focused my money on getting awesome creeps.

December 22, 2008 12:16:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I believe almost every point that you focus on your post are DotA features. Not that they are all bad features, but this is demigod and not DotA.

Something like elevation in the terrain is not going to happen since the game engine was made with plane maps in mind. Dont get me wrong but is almost like asking for some trees or a big forest so one can take trees down to make shortcuts...  that was DotA.

I agree with:

Items:

Stats:

Maps:

- Add secret flags that are hidden in the fog away from creep paths. (this exists in some way)

User Interface:

- I don't want my gods to just sit there not attacking nearby creeps unless I specifically tell him to hold his position. If I'm zoomed out far so I can see what's going on around the map, I want to know that my hero is still attacking creeps and not just standing there watching the fight. (i think this is implemented in some way but failing a lot, just like attack+move, exists and works but not all the time)

The other changes i really believe that are nice in DotA but have no place in demigod.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000515   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.