The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Maps with 3 or more teams

By on November 30, 2008 4:48:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ToxDrawace

Join Date 05/2008
+3

I just thought it might be interesting to have a map where there are creeps coming from more then one team at each other.

One idea of mine is a map with four corners where creeps go along the sides of the map directly to their nearest neighboring enemies, and then another stream of creeps that go directly accross the map to the opposite corner's team but there's fighting between every team's creeps in the middle.

Something like this:

4 team demigod map idea

An alternate form of this is that there is a height factor so in the middle 1/4 path goes over the 2/3 path and they don't meet at all as there could be a lot of problems with creeps meeting in the middle.

Locked Post 49 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 1, 2008 8:43:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There could also be some sort of tower in the middle, which when captured would provide bonuses. Maybe archers can go on it to garrison, with increased range?

December 1, 2008 1:30:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just realized it might make more sense for the creeps in the middle path to divide between all 3 lanes.

If 1 is trying to get to 4 and pushes past the middle, 2 and 3 are going to be battling behind them and the next wave wont be able to pass. So there must be a way to stop 2 and 3 from meeting in the middle while 1 has passed them. maybe the middle flag temporarily shuts off the teams on your sides, so if 1 got the middle flag, 2 and 3's middle creeps miss the next wave or two. They should have towers down the lanes to keep them protected from DGs though.

December 2, 2008 9:51:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

loving this!

December 2, 2008 10:33:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

haha, cool, glad to hear it

December 3, 2008 1:19:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds like an interesting variation, could work nicely. Your map makes me think 'step pyramid'.

December 3, 2008 2:51:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One piece of feedback that I got was that since each team has 3 directions, and there are 4 teams, that means there are going to be 12 portals spewing out creeps. That could potentially be problematic to lower end, and maybe even higher end computers. Currently the highest number of portals is 6 in Atlantic. 2 on each team and the the 1 on each side.

I'm trying to think of a way it might work. One idea I had was that maybe there's a flag on in the middle that will turn on just your middle portal. that still leaves us with 2 portals on each team plus 1 for the middle flag which leaves us with 9.

December 3, 2008 4:10:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well maybe You could have just the pathway to the center or make it 3 teams so its like a triangle. But yes they shouyld try to make it so u can have more teams. This will make the game more strategic. You will have the choice go on the offensive and getting slaughtered by the full force of both the ooposing teams orstay defensive. I also think that their should be a center flag that greatly helps your team. FOr example it could make a spawn or have an aura or be a strong defensive tower so u are able to attack whithout the other team killing u.

December 3, 2008 7:17:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe capturing the middle flag unleashes a "titan" - some uber spawn that is all by itself but just rips through stuff. he's an enemy to all, but whichever team has the flag makes the titan head to the opposite corner.

maybe thats a bit much, but it just came to mind

December 4, 2008 7:17:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ToxDrawace,
Maybe capturing the middle flag unleashes a "titan" - some uber spawn that is all by itself but just rips through stuff. he's an enemy to all, but whichever team has the flag makes the titan head to the opposite corner.

maybe thats a bit much, but it just came to mind

Not loving this.

December 4, 2008 7:29:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

haha, yeah, i was getting a little carried away there. I'm just trying to think of a way of not spewing thousands of creeps out.

December 4, 2008 11:06:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That would be sweet. Whats not to love about a giant battle in the middle with mini battles on the outsides lanes????? I really hope there is some kind of map resembling this. The 2v2v2v2 idea sounds like way to much fun.

December 5, 2008 5:50:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The problem with that is their might be too many units on each time and the game will lagg

December 5, 2008 12:50:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah, that's why I brought up the "titan" idea.

Any other ways of lowering the number of creeps in play at once?

December 5, 2008 1:45:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Kill them fast?

December 5, 2008 1:50:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Any other ways of lowering the number of creeps in play at once?

The entire map is on a giant rotating wheel.  As the wheel rotates it blocks one gate for each team at all times but allows creeps to spawn through the others.  The wheel is timed to match the creep spawns, and makes it so that 8 gates (on a 4 team map) will be active at any given time. 

If you don't want to go to the trouble of designing an entire map around it, just make it so that gates are activated by flags and that no team can control more than two at any given time.  That way you can chose which enemy your creeps are going toward, which adds some strategic depth. 

December 5, 2008 2:34:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah, i was thinking of having to choose portals. I didn't say it yet cuz I hadn't thought of how to get it to work, but that sounds good to me ke5trel

December 5, 2008 3:24:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You might want to read my first post it some ideas but i dodn't like the wheel idea but the portal idea could work but 1 question. are u suggesting theirs only gonna be 1 person each?also the flag idea doesn't seem so good because u should be able to block them out because that will make it more interesting. I have another question how do u suggest we make the creeps go to the team were gonna attack?

December 5, 2008 4:08:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was thinking about having 2 people each, so a 2v2v2v2 for 8 people. that way multiple paths could be defended by DGs as well as creeps. And the flag thing that I think you are talking about was how we'd choose the paths for the creeps. We'd have 3 portals each, but you can only activate 2 of the flags in your base to send creeps out. that makes it so there aren't too many creeps spawning at one time. I think we'd have to stop the enemy from being able to capture the flag unless that citadel had already been destroyed, but maybe it would work without that restriction. Althought it seems that right now, pathing is by team, not portal, because when you capture the side portals in atlantis, they go the direction of the team who's capped them. It might be a problem to have the creeps head 3 different directions for each team.

Also, what happens when one team's stronghold is destroyed? Should that team be kicked out, or should everyone stay in until 3 strongholds have been destroyed? That way, if you are defeated you can still fight back but you still can't be the 'winner.' In this case i think the portals should always be in control of the team that is from that corner.

Just thoughts forming in my head, what do you guys think?

December 5, 2008 5:59:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the team should be able to continue to watch the game but shouldn't be able to type in case they try to help one team. Way a moment is their fog of war in Demigod.

December 6, 2008 12:24:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think their will be more portals because look on home page it says 1-10 players (bottom right corner) so that means like 10 portals atleast.

December 6, 2008 1:51:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

2v2v2v2v2

December 6, 2008 2:51:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just thought of something. If you take your map Tox then make it a triangle, you could do 3v3v3. It says 1-10 players so just have each pathway have a portal making it so each player gets 1 portal.

December 6, 2008 7:53:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

3v3v3 could work too, certainly, this was just the idea i had in my mind. Once upon a time I was going to edit the Dota map to be like this. Only problem was I knew nothing about creating maps like that.  

Also, 1-10 people means the game can play up to 10 people, but that does not mean every map has to. The mine map for instance is a 2v2 map, so only 4 people can play on that one. I could ask for a 2v2v2v2v2 map, but the problem with that, and even with the 4 corners one is that each team would have to have a portal directed at the other 3 teams. That means that all 4 teams would have 3 portals, making 12 portals. Having 12 portals spawns a LOT of creeps (Atlantis is a 5v5 map and only has 6 portals), and having an insane number of creeps could potentially slow down a lot of computers during play.

December 6, 2008 11:55:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

how about each team gets 1.5 portals and only one lane so huge battle in the middle

December 7, 2008 3:05:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I as thinking maybe having no middle (or at least using the middle for something else other then lanes) and having the creeps go around the outside lanes but their pathing sends them to the opposite corner, so as player 1 you start by send your creeps to 2 and 3, but lets say player 2 is defeated. Then your cereps would continue down towards player 4. Maybe even when player 4 is defeated. those creeps that were attacking player 4 would move to the left to attack player 3 from the right side. What do you think of that?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000204   Page Render Time: