The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Heroes of Might & Magic - Which Version to buy?

By on November 13, 2008 8:01:58 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

As an old timer i must admit to never playing any of the HoMM range, however i have liked what i have seen on the web and i am looking to purchase one of the games to try for myself.

To that end i am asking the members of these forums which version i should purchase? Is number one still far better than five? I need your advise as i have no idea myself.

Many thanks.

The Watcher

+5 Karma | 69 Replies
November 13, 2008 8:03:56 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Oh and before anyone says it i will be pre-ordering the forthcoming game from Stardock

November 13, 2008 8:17:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

After spending MANY hours, days, (and maybe years!) playing HOMM in its various incarnations, this is my opinion:  Play either 3 or 5.  They both have similar gameplay (in fact Ubisoft stated they wanted to be faithful to #3), the only real difference being that 5 is a resource hog.

Further, 5 does have a better set of campaigns than 3.

1 & 2 are just previous versions of the exact same game going into 3.  4, in my opinion, was horrible.

My 2 cents!

November 13, 2008 8:26:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Most people view number 3 as the classic, definative version. I was always a bit partial to number 4, if only because I felt there was a tonne of variety in their different campaigns and I really grew attached to some of the characters in those. However the general opinion from the long time HoMM fans is that of Bomberross' and as 4 was the first one I played that probably biases my view. Also I can heartily recommend the recenetly released modern King's Bounty; the origional of which was the forerunner of the HoMM games. You just have one hero, but the combat system is pretty identical, and there is no city building\defending in it (although there are still cities to be attacked and to recruit troops from, you just don't have direct control over them). It also has an incredible sense of humour; for example in one quest you are asked to find a spell to turn a man's wife back from being a zombie; however after you have the spell you can instead buy her off her husband if you wish, and then turn her between zombie and human at will. Your wives can even have children that give you combat bonuses.

November 13, 2008 9:05:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It also has an incredible sense of humour

True. I love the way they have treated dragons:

- the one who want you to bring back its princess. Nice twist on the dragon - princess classical story

- the one about the dragon under the orc castle in Liberty Islands. The line about dragons gathering treasure to ensure that food come to them is too funny

And you can't miss the LotR allusion when you spoke about the ring to the zombie wife

November 13, 2008 9:23:39 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll throw in for King's Bounty.

The humor is great. There's also a quest from some lonely castle ruler that keeps stealing magic frogs from a swamp, kissing them to turn them into princesses, then abandoning them in the castle dungeon.. so he asks you to bring him another frog, but you instead end up going to an old witch in the middle of nowhere because it sounds "perfectly reasonable" to stop wasting frogs and just make him a love potion for the next frog-princess so they can stay in love and she wouldn't turn back into a frog

I didn't go for the zombie wife, took the frog wife instead She turns back into a frog on occasion, just have to keep smooching to turn her back into a princess

November 13, 2008 9:26:50 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

So you think Kings Bounty should be the one i go for then?

How about system specs... I only have a laptop.

Specs: -

System  
  Manufacturer Acer
  Model Aspire 7720
  Total amount of system memory 3.00 GB RAM
  System type 32-bit operating system
  Number of processor cores 2
  64-bit capable Yes
Storage  
  Total size of hard disk(s) 221 GB
  Disk partition (C:) 53 GB Free (111 GB Total)
  Disk partition (D:) 107 GB Free (110 GB Total)
  Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics  

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 9300M G
  Total available graphics memory 1534 MB
        Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
        Dedicated system memory 0 MB
        Shared system memory 1278 MB
  Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.7615
  Primary monitor resolution 1440x900
  DirectX version

DirectX 10

Will my system run the game ok?

November 13, 2008 9:30:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

King's Bounty has a demo for you to try out

http://browse.files.filefront.com/Kings+Bounty+The+Legend+Official+Demos/;2297720;/browsefiles.html

As far as demos go, this one is very good. It easily has 5-6 hours of gameplay, has a tutorial sort of thing and lets you explore the first zone - which gives you an idea of how long it is if the first zone can take you 5-6 hours to do everything in

It'll definitely give you a great idea of what the game is like, and how well it runs.

Bonus: Zombie wife quest is in the demo

Personally, between HOMM 5 and King's Bounty I've enjoyed King's Bounty a lot more.

November 13, 2008 9:39:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

To give you more of an idea of the scale; when I first started playing I thought the first zone was going to be all there was to it. Needless to say the subsequent continents made me very very happy. But not as happy as the recent announcement of an expansion.

November 13, 2008 10:20:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I reallyed enjoyed HoMM3:Complete.  This included all the expansions for it, which made it more fun.  I'd like to try out the HoMM 5 games, but I haven't seen a fully compiled version that includes all expansions for a reasonable price yet (although I haven't looked too much).  Plus, I like the art style in HoMM 3 better than 5 (more bold and less angsty).

November 13, 2008 10:30:08 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Ditto what Lord Reliant said, on all counts.   HOMM3 was the bomb, together with Shadow Magic and Armageddon's Blade (or was that HOMM2?).   I haven't gotten around to HOMMV yet to know, either, but also that's because the gamers magazines gave it good-but-not-great reviews.  But HOMM3 might have gotten the same were it released in 2008.

November 13, 2008 10:47:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My favorite is HOMM IV. It's the most interesting one with heroes being on the battlefield, and being able to die even if you win the battle. I also like the different schools of magic there, and the way you can develop your heroes.

The bad thing about Heroes IV is the bad AI, and that the AI can't make use of the powerful scouting abilities in the game. But if you want to play online/lan vs humans, it's the best!

The editor is also very good, so I use to power up the AI players alot befor playing singleplayer.

All that said, I also love Heroes 3, and there the AI is a much better challenge too. Heroes V is just a bad Heroes 3 copy, with less charm, no hero classes, and 3D graphics.....

November 13, 2008 12:32:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

To be honest, if you're looking for a strategy fix, go with Age of Wonders 2 or if you want more puzzle-ish strategy, maybe King's Bounty.

The problem I had with HoMM 5 was it's very much a puzzle game with tactical combat. You MUST do things in a fairly linear order because you won't be powerful enough to tackle certain areas initially. There's really no Explore, Expand phases in HoMM. You're very restricted on where you can choose to go initially or what you can eXterminate.

Unlike a true 4x strategy game where you are more or less free to expand and explore how you wish. HoMM isn't bad, it's just not a 4x game. The Disciples I and II games were similar. You HAD to progress in certain ways and usually reload after a bad battle because there weren't enough low level bad guys left to rebuild your troops levels after a defeat.

November 13, 2008 12:56:54 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

There's really no Explore, Expand phases in HoMM.

I can't speak to HOMMV, but HOMMI-III I view quite the opposite:   it takes explore & expand to a whole new level.  Tons of neat, various little sites to go around and visit. Indeed, I heard of a kid who turned off having opponents altogether in HOMM--he was perfectly happy just exploring everything and clearing everything out.

November 13, 2008 3:23:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

HOMM2 I've played quite a lot of, and it's good, but also too difficult in my opinion. HOMM3 I played the demo of and was impressed. HOMM5 I played the demo, but somehow didn't like it - the new storyline and redone factions smelled a bit too Warcrafty for me. King's Bounty I was partway through and enjoying, but it's since taken a back seat to Fallout 3 and a second run through of Mass Effect.

November 13, 2008 5:44:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've only played HoMM 3 and 5. Both are quite good, but I think HoMM 3 is better. It is more polished, runs faster, is easier to pick up and play, and has far more maps. I've been playing HoMM 5 recently because they've added some cool things and the battle system is arguably better, but I've had the most fun with 3 and in my mind it is the definitive version.

Keep in mind that I primarily play multiplayer.

November 13, 2008 5:56:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

i hate that the nerfed the implosion spell though

in Homm 3 it was the spell to cast

in Homm 5 it doesn't do jack

November 13, 2008 6:04:42 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

HOMM3 no doubt.  It is a great game.  I wish it had a setting for widescreen monitors though.

November 13, 2008 6:13:05 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

3 and 5... but 3 is the ultimate, i place 3 in a separate class of game w/ gc2. The rest of the gaming world should bow to their imaginative glory.

Defining factors for me is although 5 has exceptional artwork and wonderfully realised factions, the scale is just not satisfactory... no matter how big of a map I choose it still feels like I'm playing in my backyard. Coupled with this is the fact that to temper this, they have paced 5 to play ALOT slower... I'm currently playing a six faction large map that I have failed to finish on 5 separate occasions...It's just so darn slow you feel like the game is generating it's own heavy gravity field (I'm not talking about performance here - my performance is top notch - what I mean is creature damage/lack of gold/insanely slow level ups post 18). HOMM3 on the other hand is light, fast, unbridled in terms of character potential and growth, gargantuan maps, tons of artifacts, the graphics are somehow timeless and you just FEEL happy playing it.

Also, the music in 5 is horrendous, I had to mod every track just to play it. Which I did Now it rules...Excalibur soundtrack for the orc faction is awesome.

Enjoy HOMM!

PS: Note how niether H3 nor GC2 would be considered balanced for multiplayer. I think this is what keeps them interesting tbh, diversified challenges.

November 13, 2008 6:32:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I enjoyed HOMM 3 and 4.  3 was definately more challenging.  But I am probably one of the few that enjoyed 4.  5 I have yet to play.  I keep waiting for them to release the entire HOMM5 and the expansions in one 'box' but I do not see this happening.  Looks like I will have to buy them seperately. 

If you are getting into HOMM, I would try 3 and its expansions first.  And HOMM 2 was very challenging thought the graphics look dated.  

Matt

November 13, 2008 8:37:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I started playing at HOMM4, which I liked a ton at the time, but now I'm strictly playing HOMM5.  The demo didn't do it justice.  I played through it twice and was still undecided, but after I bought the full game I became hooked.  I also picked up the 1st expansion download from Ubi.com for 10 bucks, and grabbed the second expansion for about 10 off eBay, so there's really no need to wait for a "Gold" edition, since it's pretty cheap to pick up all three.  The second expansion is especially cool because it adds a third upgrade for each unit. 

That said, since playing the new King's Bounty demo, I haven't touch HOMM5 since!  Wish I had the capital to fund that addiction. 

November 13, 2008 9:00:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I say 3 or 5.    4 isn't bad per se, but 5 is better and 3 is probebly the best of the classic set (I say 3 is better than 4, but some features in 4 are kinda neat)

November 13, 2008 9:40:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The new KB maybe is better than 3, but if you're looking to play a Heroes game, it's not.  It's an rpg with an army instead of a character.

As for the differences between the versions, 5 is basically 3, with even less balance between the sides, and 3d graphics that get in the way as much as they help.  It's completely devoid of the charm the rest of the series has, going for a darker picture, and lacks adequate space on the tactical maps to do a lot with the armies.  They do have magic versus might more balanced.  If you play 3, you'll soon find that might either hits fast, or dies horribly.

4...  All potential, no class.  3DO was going under when they released it early as a last ditch effort to stay afloat.  It's very poorly balanced, the heroes go from massively powerful to nearly worthless, and they drop like flies early on while being all but invincible by the end of the game.  You can win the campaigns by just having all hero armies after they gain the experience off the first couple maps.  Vampires are so hard to kill that you guarantee defeat if you let a necro get too many of them, I've even lost to the AI because I couldn't get rid of them, and the AI is even worse than it is in 5.  They have some very nice improvements, like caravans, but it's visibly unfinished.

Some people have said the campaigns in 5 are good, but I'm just not grasping that one.  Story maybe, but they're almost entirely script driven.  The AI is utterly incompetent, and you win or lose depending on how bad you suck.  If it takes you two weeks to run across a map because you suck, you'll survive the two weeks worth army that hits when you get there.  If you do it in one, you get butchered.  If you spend a month dicking around, it's not even a nuisance.  They're a little slow in 3, but at least they aren't just scripted encounters that reward playing like crap and penalize playing well.  The best campaign is 2, but it's seriously old school, and seriously unbalanced.

Personal preference, H3 complete, but H5 does flow a little better for multiplayer games.

November 14, 2008 5:32:54 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thanks to everybody who responded to this post

I have decided to go with HoMM3 which over here in England comes boxed with the expansions and HoMM4 and expansions for only £5!

Now all i have to do is wait for it to arrive

Thanks again people.

The Watcher

November 14, 2008 10:24:23 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

We'll miss you.  

November 14, 2008 10:56:30 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting tetleytea,
We'll miss you.  

If its as good as its supposed to be then that may well be the case

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000750   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.