The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[INSTALL REQUEST] Beta Location

Where Impulse places both archives and the game itself...

By on October 14, 2008 9:43:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Beta Location

A request regarding the installer: please allow me to specify both where the install archive is downloaded *and* where the game gets installed to, on a per item basis.

I didn`t really have the room on my C system drive to place Demigod, and yet PLOP in it went, without any chance to adjust this. Everyone needs the freedom to keep their primary Windows drive uncluttered... please give us this option in any future releases.

Ditto for mere harddrive space when it comes to erasing the archive Impulse created after the game itself has installed. Thanks for your time...

+18 Karma | 6 Replies
October 15, 2008 1:35:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Blue Orb -> Preferences -> Folders

Should sort your problem.

October 15, 2008 5:21:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ah, thanks! i've been looking for that too.

October 15, 2008 7:54:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bufsan,
Blue Orb -> Preferences -> Folders

Should sort your problem.

Thanks. The default ought to be a prompt upon any installation though... when games are measured in Gigs rather than Megs, it matters.

October 15, 2008 11:29:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

when games are measured in Gigs rather than Megs, it matters.

That may be so, but most users generally don't have multiple partitions.

October 16, 2008 3:16:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kryo,

Howdy,

I would not predicate my response solely based upon the existence of partitions, although a partitioned hard drive is a valid component of the issue. In my own personal circumstance I possess two physical hard drives. My first drive is my system drive, and it is packed as it stands. The system needs space to perform operations, such as the downloading and unpacking and installation (!) of large game archives from Impulse/GPG/IronClad. These operations can in totality require 10s of Gigs of space, making any automatic additions to that space something I want affirmative control over.

Some people may also have a flaky drive and wish to install to a secondary or a backup in this USB external connect kind of world. Other scenarios are envisionable.

October 16, 2008 7:28:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kryo,

Well, multiple partitions on the same drive, no. But multiple drives, and thus with 1 partition per drive, multiple partitions is probably much more common.

What is the most annoying with those installers that assume C: is all you'll ever need, is when I'm at the point where my main disk is full or nearly full, and I decide I need to buy a second one to get more space, a lot (well, not that much but certainly too many) of installers do NOT work correctly and allow me to make full use of that additional space I've bought.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000110   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.