The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[OVERALL OPINION BETA1A] General Overview

Thoughts At This Time

By on October 11, 2008 10:01:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

General Beta 1A Overview

A summation of things going through my mind at this stage in the testing.

I like the new Torch-Bearer ability advancement. Reigning in his paralysis capabilities, boosting his raw damage capability in fire mode, and allowing the state change at will make a great deal of sense. It also plays well. I like the new Freeze effect, although I would like to see a distinct and slightly improved effect upon structures – not as profound a thing as it was before (10 seconds of stasis ala Beta 1 was pretty useful…), but perhaps a little more effective than the way it works against structures now, which is not at all to my eyes. Such is not entirely necessary. The Ring Of Fire and Fire Burst abilities seem to have enough kick to them now to be of true consequence to enemy Demigods, which is good. Ring Of Fire in particular is great fun to behold and I enjoy its deployment immensely.

The Rook doesn`t feel right. Perhaps we are used to the incarnation in Beta 1. Moving the Boulder Throw up in the ability scheme is probably a good move. Lowering the Tower Raise ability to level 1 (!) is not right. It definitely does not feel proper that The Rook ought to be able to begin civil engineering so early in his lifespan. As for his Hammer Strike, I think it performs as it always has (?). The difference that detracts from its utility to me seems to be the heightened control responsiveness of all his targets. It seems that characters are now so responsive that the poor old Rook MUST strike first with a stunning attack if he ever hopes to land his Hammer. That is a shame – that is wrong. If this persists, I recommend upping his maximum Hammer Strike damage to the original upgrade level/tier 4 1200 pt. level, since the thing will generally never squarely land; actually, again harkening back to Beta 1, this power level seems appropriate for him. The Rook SHOULD have the largest single damage strike available to any Demigod (just look at him… it felt right). I maintain that the best incarnation of The Rook is in Beta 1, and should be used as the primary standard for all other Demigods to be balanced versus.

The Unclean Beast is powerful and fun to use. His Plague ability however should affect Demigods slightly differently from the way it affects any other unit. Damage to Demigods should ramp up to its normal rate over an initial few seconds; not too many mind you, but enough so that you have a little more time to react to the ailment. As it stands, the Beast can attack & kill you utilizing multiple compounding attacks in a furiously short period of time… too short a period of time. I don`t object at all to the permanence of the ailment or its communication: he is an Unclean Beast, and this kind of encourages one to carry a potion with you. I just don`t believe it should be such an instantaneous effect upon a Demigod when it is first contracted. Structures of course should be completely immune to Plague, both from its damage and from carrying/communicating it. A possible additional modifier to Plague could be that the illness is only spread directly from Unclean Beast claw attacks or Vomit, not from ambient Ooze which seems to make it far too easy to infect *everything* at all times. Plague`s damage should be cut in half: its slays too quickly, requiring too little further effort on the part of the Unclean Beast player. In the big picture, drawing out the inevitable death of Minions will not at all diminish the ability such that it becomes useless, opposing players will simply have slightly more response time in which to digest what is happening to their forces. With the Vomit ability I recommend transferring even more of its initial damage to corrossive damage over a lengthier period of time – the Unclean Beast`s powered up damage delivery potential within mere seconds of beginning an attack is currently outrageous and potentially unfair. The Rook telegraphs his 1200 pt. strikes, the Unclean Beast however seems always amped.

Regulus should have his normal attack range maximum from Beta 1. He is not quite the powerhouse player that the other Demigods are, nor should he be, so his slightly infuriating slightly beyond vision-range sniping is important to him. Mines are excellent, although I would both improve and limit them in a fashion. Mines should only become active when the Regulus character who layed them leaves their activation viscinity; right now he can utilize them as a suicide bomb at his feet, when enemies rush him. This parallels and eclipses the angelic burst ability he utilizes at higher skill levels. That should not be the case. The energy cost for Mines is perfect. Mines allow Regulus to play a more strategic ‘denial of area’ role in the game, but the recharge rates of their placement do not. Demigod paralysis Mines are fine and *should* take their full current normal time to place, but regular damage Mines ought to have even more time shaved off their recharge, so Regulus can have a better chance in the course of a busy game to pepper an area with what could be termed “sufficient deterrents”. Even with the recharge reduction that did take place in Beta 1A, it seems as though Regulus just finishes placing his one Mine in time for the next wave to barge into it… he can`t get any type of field going until *after* a battle is already decided in his favour (by which time his fields are no longer necessary). Regulus has been and still is my least favourite character thus far, but he has grown on me. He is an amusing challenge to take out into a contest.

The new potion costs seem very reasonable. The Teleport Scrolls now cannot easily replace the cost-effectiveness of health potions, which is good.

The Beta 1 “Waterfall” map is superior to the Beta 1A version. The Beta 1A version looks better, but I find the addition of the 2 side mid-map Mine control points to be unnecessary; the map now feels crowded, and there is too much money floating about. The original version had the perfect feel.

The new "Mines" map is jaw-dropping. Well crafted too - change nothing!

+18 Karma | 18 Replies
October 11, 2008 10:56:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

can i be the first to say that font is annoying

October 12, 2008 1:03:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting strikersgun,
can i be the first to say that font is annoying

Heh, it appears properly in the message window before I write it. Let me try *another* edit, see if it improves...

The small text is fine, except for large paragraphs.

October 29, 2008 1:45:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

More Unclean Beast Plague Thoughts

The Plague ability could also be reigned in by the following, possibly in conjunction with previous suggestions:

Introduce an immunity mechanic for Demigods (and only Demigods), such that a Demigod can only be infected by a single Unclean Beast`s Plague once in their lifetime, where "lifetime" equals their existence up to the next defeat.

Would require tracking of specific infections by each Unclean Beast, which may not be optimal, but an idea nonetheless. 

November 5, 2008 11:11:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I Think they did a GREAT job making the Unclean Beast...Unclean.

But I do agree, it is too easy to effect units with plague and it does WAY too much dmg. I'd be intrested to see when they get the damage counter functioning properly how much more dmg the Unclean Beast does then other players.

November 8, 2008 7:14:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
I Think they did a GREAT job making the Unclean Beast...Unclean.

But I do agree, it is too easy to effect units with plague and it does WAY too much dmg. I'd be intrested to see when they get the damage counter functioning properly how much more dmg the Unclean Beast does then other players.

plague works imo just how it should, after all its a plague   mmk.

now as far as it goes dmg wise.... idk man cuz u can really cc with beast till 10 and u have plague, and on top of thattt   the plague itself doesnt do toooo much dmg, it really is more of an annoyance than anything, does help with the lower life creeps tho

thats MY OPINION

November 8, 2008 7:38:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With the new Beta, Plague is great! Just the fact that the Archers/Minos were wiped out by it in 1A was too much. They live through it easy now!

Oh, and creeps get more HPs as the games go on too

November 8, 2008 7:54:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

do u know if their going to be another beta for people that order it later cause i want to play the beta but i dint find out about it untill a week ago

November 8, 2008 8:46:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes they are.

There's like 5 other topics about preorders and getting into the beta...Please look around for like...at least 10 seconds next time.

November 8, 2008 9:21:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
Yes they are.

There's like 5 other topics about preorders and getting into the beta...Please look around for like...at least 10 seconds next time.

Yeah, dummy, except the forums' search feature doesn't return jack for results.

Suck on that Teased!

November 8, 2008 9:27:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont remember saying Search.

November 8, 2008 9:33:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
I dont remember saying Search.

Like I said I think the ability to find some little spec of knowledge on a new-to-you forum is a mystery that only you forum pros know.

November 8, 2008 9:35:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's new to click on the different sections of a forum and...read? Didn't know that.

But your issues aside, if you'd like to keep bitchin at me, PM me. No reason to spam.

November 8, 2008 9:48:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
It's new to click on the different sections of a forum and...read? Didn't know that.

But your issues aside, if you'd like to keep bitchin at me, PM me. No reason to spam.

I actually did find that little spec, but not after searching and checking all discussion titles. I'm just saying its understandable how Soccer194 or indeed any Soccer might have a hard time finding the answer to his question. Now, granted he did kinda double post. I suspect he wanted to make it easier for people to find the answer to the question that took him so much time to find.

Suck on that Teaserd.

November 8, 2008 10:00:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I see nothing saying it was hard to find. In fact, there are PLENTY of threads with this info.
https://forums.demigodthegame.com/329444/
https://forums.demigodthegame.com/329502

Two threads dedicated and countless questions on different topics. I never said search. I asked him to look NEXT TIME. It was never intended to be harsh, just to show irritation.

Last reply to you, I hate to ruin Warlok's thread. Shush and get over yourself.

November 9, 2008 5:28:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BURN!

November 9, 2008 5:30:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

HEY tearsered!  whats up!!! suck on it!

November 13, 2008 10:54:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes all i wanted to do is make sure if people din't respond to my reply here they would reply to my post and i did in fact search for 2 beta but its not like im on this site alot for like 5-7 min every 3 days unlike others because i play soccer and do other stuff then search forums.

November 14, 2008 4:22:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With the exception of missing proximal pursuit/interception A.I., the newest 1C Unclean Beast is great - excellent balance on him now. Good job!

Good jiggering around with the Torch Bearer as well. The Rook feels very good, excepting (in my opinion) the early Raise Tower capability. I could live with that as is though.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.