The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[IDEA] Druid/Dryad/Earth Master Ability

Earth Ability

By on October 6, 2008 2:43:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Earth Master Ability

I propose an Earthen Fortification ability. Energies of the earth regenerate over time the integrity of structures. When utilized, structures either targetted or within the ability`s targetted area of effect begin to regenerate Hits/Health, at perhaps a slower rate than that at which the Unclean Beast delivers damage via Plague (say, 20 pts. per second, up to 700 regained, total).

An instantaneous repair would not be wise or conducive to promoting the gravity of when your structures fall under attack - to repair them would take a concerted pushback effort while the Demigod with this ability worked her/his/its magic.

At its best, the rate might rise to 30 (quite slow compared to damaging abilities), with a maximum repair cap of 1500 points per use. The recharge would be quite considerable. Multiple ability usages would not stack.

Perhaps the low level ability Earthen Fortification would target only a single building, while unlocked higher level incarnations would target small areas.

Definitely an ability for a Druid/Dryad/Elementalist spellcaster kind of character. Not the Rook!...

+18 Karma | 12 Replies
October 7, 2008 5:07:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

why not the rook?

October 7, 2008 5:21:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First, check that there IS an earth master/druid. There isn't. And this doesn't fit with the QoT.

October 7, 2008 11:17:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cowbuttzex,
why not the rook?

Having a character that can dominate in physical combat as the Rook does, combined with both the ability to create structures and to epair them, to me doesn`t sound like a good fit or good balance. The Rook has a great suite of abilities that suit him now anyway.

This ability should be for someone else.

October 7, 2008 11:22:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Kyrein,
First, check that there IS an earth master/druid. There isn't. And this doesn't fit with the QoT.

Your response perplexes me. I`ve offered up an idea for an ability - I don`t think such ideas need to be tied to anything, do they? Are there some idea/suggestion rules or laws passed by Congress somewhere that I was not made aware of?

Second, obviously, I propose some type of 'earth master/druid' character.

Third, the female laced in crimson tendril looks to me to already be within the neighbourhood of that which I propose here.

Lastly, what is "QoT"? If I`ve heard it or read it I honestly cannot remember what it stands for.

October 8, 2008 1:44:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Queen of Thorns. She is the one with vines. This most definitely does not fit into her abilities.

Yes, you offered an idea for an ability - which does not fit ANY Demigod we currently know of. Create the character first, then abilities.

October 9, 2008 4:50:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How do you know what the Queen Of Thorns can do? She isn`t in a Beta.

As for the ability not being tied to a character, I imagine a circumstance where the developers - assuming they like what they read - have freer reign to apply as they see fit. If it serves a developer purpose to do so, I would be receptive to hearing from the developers what suggestions or ideas and in what form they would be most receptive to. Otherwise I`ll keep banging away.

Despite the negativity (!) thanks for reading by the way.

October 9, 2008 6:53:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We have skill info for her .

And the devs are trying to make the Demigods unique, thus no druid since we already have a nature freak.

October 9, 2008 7:48:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

there's already lots of pieces of information in the beta (as in the actual files) about all the DGs if you ever care to look. heck, some people have even posted scraps of it on this forum.

October 9, 2008 10:13:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Alot of times someone suggests an ability or mechanic on these forums and it gets shut down because it doesn't fit into the game we've been given.  The thing is that if the ability is good enough and adds enough to gameplay it should be in the game, regardless of whether we can find it in the LUA files or the listed demigods.

This will be more relevant in Beta 2, but it's good to look at ideas and see how they *could* work.

The easiest way to do this is simply to attach the ability to an item.  A mid-game artifact or prize item that heals buildings could be very useful.  Give it a long cooldown and as WarlokLord says, 30 heal per second up to 1500 hp.  It won't prevent a steamroll, but used strategically it could make buildings more effective.  

You could also give this to Sedna.  She's a healer, it's what she does.  Maybe she would use blood magic, sacrifice one of her yetis to repair a building, etc...   

Peace

October 9, 2008 9:09:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ke5trel,
Alot of times someone suggests an ability or mechanic on these forums and it gets shut down because it doesn't fit into the game we've been given.  The thing is that if the ability is good enough and adds enough to gameplay it should be in the game, regardless of whether we can find it in the LUA files or the listed demigods.

This will be more relevant in Beta 2, but it's good to look at ideas and see how they *could* work.

The easiest way to do this is simply to attach the ability to an item.  A mid-game artifact or prize item that heals buildings could be very useful.  Give it a long cooldown and as WarlokLord says, 30 heal per second up to 1500 hp.  It won't prevent a steamroll, but used strategically it could make buildings more effective.  

You could also give this to Sedna.  She's a healer, it's what she does.  Maybe she would use blood magic, sacrifice one of her yetis to repair a building, etc...   

Peace

Thanks for the info.

Kyrein and BulletMagnet, not everyone has the time to sift through a forum or investigate game file archives and collate such data. Besides, this is an early Beta - things can change.

October 11, 2008 11:50:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ke5trel,

Peace

Oh i'd agree if the skill ideas where better...

But they're extremely bland, extremely vanilla, very uninspired, have no positive dynamic gameplay aspects.

October 13, 2008 12:08:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmmm, I could see *some variation* of this ability adding a bit of depth to the game, personally. Attach it to a flag, when you cap the flag all of your buildings are given +3 hp regen per second, or 10% more hp, etc.

I'm not sure I follow the whole "bland, vanilla" argument, unless the objection is against healing in general (which is present in alot of games, so must be vanilla?  Actually, so is dealing damage, now that you mention it).  If you are objecting to the way the mechanic is presented then we are getting back to the whole idea of "you don't like it, tell us why, and then show us a better way."  It's easy to make the mechanics of an idea out-there and novel and non-vanilla:

- give it to Vampire Lord, he can suck the life force from an allied DG and transfuse it to one nearby building.  

- At level 10 a general DG can alter a priest to heal only buildings, up to three 'building priests' at a time, for 1000 gold each

- Unique item allows DG to 'fix' the soul of a defensive building for short time, so that if destroyed in that time the building's ghost stays active for two minutes and deals double damage to all enemies in range

I wasn't trying to say that WarlokLord's OP was pure gold and needed to be carved into the game files with a chisel so much as that we could play with the idea until we came up with something really good, or something that addresses a perceived need/want in gameplay in a unique and interesting way, and that we should try to do that with as many of these 'idea' posts as possible.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.