The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Beta 1-A preview

By on September 30, 2008 1:03:00 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

This week we intend to release the first update to the Demigod engine test beta (beta 1-A).  Under the hood there have been tons of changes made and we're beginning to make room for some of the more significant changes you'll be seeing in Beta 2 (beginning of November).

Here are some of the highlights:

My friend Soren Johnson has a great article entitled "the seven deadly sins of strategy games".  The bottom line is to paraphrase Sid Meijer, good strategy games give players "interesting" choices.

The flags in Demigod are going to be core element to this because controlling these flags are how the different sides will gain tremendous advantages. 

A good player (or team) would be able to quickly eliminate a new player or team simply by taking these flags and holding them long enough to overwhelm the enemy.  This prevents the problem in many multiplayer games where even when you're playing against unskilled players, you're still committing a lot of time to the game. Yet, at the same time, the game mechanic is straight forward enough that it's intuitive to players why they're winning or losing.

The team is brain storming all kinds of different types of flags. For beta 1-A, we just did gold as a proof of concept.

This next change is going to be more controversial without some explanation.   When someone posts about this saying how they hate this change, point them to this post.  The idea is that we're starting to make room in the UI and in the balancing for lots of additional skills as well as skill buffing  (where you enhance one of the existing skills with a modifier).  So don't take this screen as implying that we're going to have some dull linear progression.

The second map is in.  The mine map is somewhat smaller but has some interesting strategic conundrums.

So when will the beta be out? We are targeting this Thursday (basically we release betas on Thursdays typically).

+86 Karma | 83 Replies
October 2, 2008 3:46:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There are a few basic changes that could be seen as for balancing, but for the most part it looks like they're just providing the beta players with more content and more interesting things to test out.

October 2, 2008 6:00:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

weening us on the milk first before giving the meat.

October 2, 2008 10:35:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Unclean Beast is officially made of win.

October 3, 2008 3:24:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is beta 1-a out yet?

If it is, how do I get it?

October 3, 2008 3:42:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Impulse.

October 3, 2008 4:00:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is it autoupdate or do I have to do anything manually?

October 3, 2008 4:07:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, open Impulse and go to the Updates menu *bonk*

October 3, 2008 4:14:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm, I did that. Maby it's because i'm on my schools network.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.