The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Suggestion] Player characters are slow to react

By on September 26, 2008 8:48:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When I tell my character what to do, there is about a half second's delay before he starts to actually do it, even when everything else in the game is running smoothly.  Is this designed to sort of counteract the effects of lag or is this something that only I'm experiencing?

If it's the former, I have to recommend that that be turned down a bit.  It's fine for something like Supreme Commander where you have hundreds of units you command all together, and where the performance of any single one is not a major issue, but in Demigod where you're only controlling one guy, it's really noticable and it makes the whole game feel less responsive, as well as making things like dodging Rook boulders much more difficult

+2 Karma | 23 Replies
September 26, 2008 9:18:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

its lag

September 26, 2008 9:36:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting strikersgun,
its lag

Even when I'm playing offline against the ai?

September 26, 2008 10:06:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

its magic lag

September 26, 2008 10:15:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting strikersgun,
its magic lag

/BulletMagnet cues the dramatic: DUN-DUN-DUUUNNN!!!

September 26, 2008 11:05:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There are supposed to be 3 DUNs and a DUUUNNN

September 26, 2008 11:09:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would describe it as acceptably cludgy. Appropriately cludgy. The Demigod characters are larger-than-life beings... I do not expect nor want surgically precise controls over them. Case in point, one *shouldn`t* be able to "dodge" a Rook boulder very easily in this game - I don`t want to see the Torch-Bearer 'UT-double-tapping to the left' to roll out of the way...

September 26, 2008 11:11:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting WarlokLord,
I don`t want to see the Torch-Bearer 'UT-double-tapping to the left' to roll out of the way...

hahaha, epic (lol, mind the pun there). 

quick someone port over Gorge as a Demigod. now, do it now!

September 26, 2008 11:45:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting WarlokLord,
The Demigod characters are larger-than-life beings... I do not expect nor want surgically precise controls over them.

I don't understand, you're saying that you want intentionally imprecise controls?  Certainly I can find imprecise controls tolerable to an extent, but I would have thought that more precision was always better.

Anyway, I understand if you don't want your characters to dance around evading attacks like this is unreal tournament or a fighting game.  Don't you think a 200ms delay or so would be good enough to compensate for lag though?  The 500ms (or so I estimate) one we have now seems excessive.  I think only dial up should really have that big of a problem with it.

With that said though, this

Quoting WarlokLord,
I don`t want to see the Torch-Bearer 'UT-double-tapping to the left' to roll out of the way...

is an entertaining mental image.

September 26, 2008 11:54:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yea i also dont agree with Warloklord i want precise controls in this kind of game and for this beta i would love it to be magic lag and not actual controls for them

September 27, 2008 5:14:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Imprecise controls is one thing, unresponsive is unforgivable.

September 27, 2008 5:54:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

funny that you mention 200ms as this is the amount of netlag Demigod has by default - Warcraft III on battle.net has 250ms btw. If you really experience a half second of delay that must be a bug or something.

However for Singleplayer games you can change it with the command net_lag xyz in the console - push ctrl+~ to open the console (at least if you have english keyboard layout).

September 27, 2008 10:25:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would say think of it this way: the character you are controlling is not you, it is a seperate entity in a game world to whom you are giving directions. Thought of in this way, the controls are ponderous yes but apt.

If we eliminate any delay or lethargy in command-to-action, I argue that we would garner too much control, such that certain attacks and abilities could be countered not by strategy or tactics, but by reflex. This is not a reflex game. I don`t think it is anyway, and I wouldn`t want it to become one.

Unresponsive? Not to me... slow perhaps, unresponsive or inadequate definitely not.

It is this trait of imprecision that helps lend Demigod its hulking identity in a real-time mass.

Further, Demigod... just the name conjures a callousness that implies bulk and brutality. (Think Greek...)  Precise controls ill fit this image.

September 27, 2008 8:02:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bullshit that this game shouldnt be unresponsive because your demigods are "big" and "slow" and a "seperate entity" - no excuse. But I only find this lag online, which to be fair is perfectly normal. Dont forget we are playing of hamachi which ofc will cause some lag aswell.

When I play offline though I recieve 0 lag/unresponsive controls...its must be your computer and the fps of your game - or perhaps its just a beta

September 27, 2008 8:30:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

agreed with Dalzk with the bullshit slow and big these are DemiGods u know the thing before God! I believe they move anyway they damn well plz even float if they wanted making them sluggishly slow is just stupid

After Edit

I agree with Dalzk about how stupid it is to have demigods slow just because they are big, I mean they are DemiGods, u know A being thats half a God I believe they can move as fast as they damn well plz even fly if they wanted, making them sluggishly slow just because they are big is just stupid.

September 27, 2008 9:58:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Try english, complete coherent sentences. Its difficult to understand what you`re saying.

September 27, 2008 10:31:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

better?

September 27, 2008 11:22:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The SupCom engine has always been laggy control wise.

September 27, 2008 11:52:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well Supcom (if we get technical) was about robots so the lag coudlve been from the engine starting up but if u move a character while its in motion it didnt have a problem it was probably an effect they were aiming for

September 28, 2008 2:43:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting strikersgun,
Well Supcom (if we get technical) was about robots so the lag coudlve been from the engine starting up but if u move a character while its in motion it didnt have a problem it was probably an effect they were aiming for

no, this isn't a case of handwavium. units didn't recieve a/the command and start reacting 500ms later. they got the commands 500ms after they were given!

on the subject of the start-your-engines hand-wave; why would the ACU do it too? afterall there is a person sitting directly infront of the controls.

September 28, 2008 5:02:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

its not the engine which is laggy in supcom, its just the setting of net_lag 500, if you reduce that setting to 20 for lan play it plays nearly as smooth as starcraft and same is true for Demigod.

September 28, 2008 5:11:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting NwExilon,
The SupCom engine has always been laggy control wise.

I can understand that, but when you're telling the 200 planes in your air force to invade something, they don't all arrive at the same time anyway, and the average unit was pretty disposable anyway, and there were plenty of other issues for you to turn your attention to in running your base/army after issuing your orders, so I think the delay is much more tolerable.

In Demigod you have your one guy who is of the utmost importance, and nothing to multitask on in between giving him his commands, so it's much more noticable.  I would imagine that due to having fewer units than SupCom, lag would be easier to manage in the first place.

Quoting WarlokLord,
If we eliminate any delay or lethargy in command-to-action, I argue that we would garner too much control, such that certain attacks and abilities could be countered not by strategy or tactics, but by reflex. This is not a reflex game. I don`t think it is anyway, and I wouldn`t want it to become one.

It isn't a twitch shooting game or a reflex fighting game, and it isn't going to be, but at the same time, it's inevitable that these things will offer some advantage.

Being able to click precisely and quickly on the unit you want to attack next will let you kill it faster and move on to other things.  Being able to choose the level up ability or shop item you want quickly puts you back in the action that much faster.  Even being good with the camera controls will give you that little bit of information a little bit faster.

Despite those things, the decisions the player makes are still much more important than their "technical" abilities, and that will continue to be the case.

Quoting WarlokLord,
Its difficult to understand what you`re saying.

It really is much easier to understand when you don't use those abbreviations.

September 29, 2008 8:57:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheBigOne,
its not the engine which is laggy in supcom, its just the setting of net_lag 500, if you reduce that setting to 20 for lan play it plays nearly as smooth as starcraft and same is true for Demigod.

Now that is extremely useful. Thanks kindly, TBO!

September 29, 2008 9:58:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheBigOne,
funny that you mention 200ms as this is the amount of netlag Demigod has by default - Warcraft III on battle.net has 250ms btw. If you really experience a half second of delay that must be a bug or something.

However for Singleplayer games you can change it with the command net_lag xyz in the console - push ctrl+~ to open the console (at least if you have english keyboard layout).

That's a good tip, thanks!

Maybe I'm just underestimating how much of a delay 200ms is, but after playing with the console commands for a bit, I think my computer might be having more trouble running the game than it's letting on.  Have the recommended specs come out yet?  Does anyone know whether the game will run faster or slower on release than it does now?

Edit:  I should be more clear.  What I mean to say is, do early betas like this generally have worse performance than final products because they haven't been optimized, or do they generally run better because of the new features that are added on later?  Is there not enough information to go on to make a safe guess?  Would anyone from Stardock or GPG be able to make an estimate on that?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.