The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What would be viable copy protection?

By on September 22, 2008 11:45:20 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I've been getting a lot of email since the announcement of the Gamers Bill of Rights -- quite a bit from game developers who make the argument that it's easy to throw stones at what other people but what solution do we suggest for them?

For example, one of the things I've seen is that Stardock is "anti-DRM" in all cases.  This isn't true.  WindowBlinds, for example, requires activation. In fact, nearly all our software requires activation.  Yet, you rarely if ever see anyone complain about it. Why is that? Because our activation is largely invisible, most people aren't aware of it. The beta of Demigod has activation in it too. Yet, it too is invisible to the user. 

So clearly, activation, unto itself, isn't necessarily a problem. Yet clearly with Spore, people had a big problem with it. What's the difference? The difference in my opinion is the arbitrary limitations set ("3 activations" for instance). Or more generally, anything that materially interferes with a legitimate customer's ability to use their game.

So those people who were so unhappy with Spore's activation, I'd be curious to hear what specifically bothered them? What was it about Spore that causes such an uproar versus things done in the past?

Here are things that annoy me about various types of copy protection:

• While I'm okay with activation in principle, I should never have to call a human being and "ask" for more activations. Even iTunes lets me de-authorize other computers. I still find that annoying but I can live with it.
  • Anything that requires me to hunt around for something physical like a CD or a DVD. 
  • Anything that causes me to have to run an extra program in order to run the application or game.

My tolerance may be higher than others, hence why I'd like to try to understand what caused the Spore backlash.

As others know, our games ship with no CD copy protection at all since not all users have Internet access but we require users to download our free updates from us so that we know (to a high degree) that only legitimate customers are getting our free updates. And even with that laid back system, some people still object.  So we'd like to get an idea of what invisible threshold you think Spore crossed that made so many people upset.

+912 Karma | 325 Replies
September 23, 2008 12:19:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just head to Amazon to find out why people weren't happy with Spore.

The gist of it is that they felt like they were renting the game. It was definitely an overreaction, as the vast majority of people don't even install over 3 times (I think EA released figures that only 0.4% of people install over 3 times or something like that).

It's more of a matter of principle in my opinion. When you pay such a large amount of money for a game (especially us poor Australians), you don't expect to get something that is akin to a demo trial period. Of course, that's a complete exaggeration, but that's the feeling you get. As you like to put it, you feel like you are being treated like a criminal.

Besides, Spore was just used to set an example to publishers more than anything. People just thought they'd choose some high profile game with SecuROM and make a mass protest against it. I bet the vast majority had no intention of buying the game anyway.

September 23, 2008 12:37:22 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quick thumbnail response (posting from work, need to go home)

First and foremost.

If, having a legitimate copy, a reasonable person would have to think about downloading a pirated copy simply to be rid of the copy protection, it's an indication of a real issue.

Seems obvious, but I bought three neverwinter nights modules and found out I had to be online to play them - despite their being single player modules. I live in the boonies, I have an overpriced ISP, and it was actually a pain in the arse for me.

Second - if, having a legitimate copy, I have to wonder "If the company goes under, am I screwed?".

I haven't heard of it's happening, but yeah, it bothers me.

Third - Do I feel like a guy walking through a store, and there's a security person in line of site at all times?

I'm at home, on my personal PC. I should NOT feel like that. I don't like pirates either but it doesn't excuse offending the guy that actually paid for the game.

At the other extreme - best antipiracy protection ever - "Starflight". In game, every so often a 'Interstel Police StarCruiser' would pull you over and ask for one of those spinwheel keys - you had three chances to get it right or be 'arrested'.

Go ahead - resist arrest - You know you want to - {G}.

Just quick thought - take care all.

Jonnan

September 23, 2008 12:51:48 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I think it was the limits on activation that frustrated players.  I mean, heck, I know that I was forced to download GalCiv II and WindowBlinds twice last week alone (PC crash, and hadn't backed up those files as they are "not irreplaceable"), so even though I had, in my mind at least, a legitimate excuse, by EAs standards I would have already used up two of my "freebies"

though I have issue with the runup in companies and this whole "intellectual property" BS that has been the focus of the market the past few years.  When I purchase something, I own it; plain and simple.  And if you're not going to give me a hard copy, then IMHO, i should be able to access it or download it at any time.

personally, its my same opinion with iTunes.  It bugs me that while iTunes has a complete purchase list of everything I have bought over the past few years, if for some reason a file is deleted, I can not redownload.   Ok, fine, wahtever, but I don't understand why at the very least I can't have a free streaming song or tv show to watch on demand since I already paid for it.  I look it as you alreayd know which computers i've authorized, as long as the stream is going there, and on heck, even if i was required to use a special iTunes media player, then i'd still get to watch my shows or listen to my music that i had purchased, even if i had lost the actual file.

1.) Invisible Activation: I don't really have an issue personally, as long as it doesn't affect me being able to use the product effectively.  Personally, i'd like a strict catch-net that would, let's say, stop an un-activated product from downloading or uploading any files for that product.  Most Stardock products already use a system similar to this; ie GCII where you can only get the updates once the product is registered; or for like WindowsBlinds.   If you want to pirate a product, well, there's probably not much one can do to stop you, but at least we can stop you from getting the really good stuff.

2.)  I'll admit that I like having my cases, same reason I like records over CDs (those covers were awesome!), but even so its frustrating to have search for a disc, or worry that it may have gotten a tiny scratch on it somewhere.  I really really like just clicking on an icon and having my title screen appear.  And really, i mean my Sims 2 collection is already at 8 discs, and i don't even have all the expansions (and besides, most just sit there idly since i don't even 'need' the old discs anymore, such a waste of resources)

3.) Agreed! If I have to run another program just to make the one I wanted work/run, I'm not going to be very happy about it.

All this being said, I am slightly concerned about how some cable companies have put hard caps on internet usage.  Sure 250GB may seem like a lot now, but then again 1GB seemed huge just a decade ago.  Since I am bout 95% positive most programs/software/etc are going to be headed toward an exclusively internet format in the future, I can only see problems ahead.

September 23, 2008 1:08:45 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm fine with CD-keys provided they're stuck to the box or manual.

What I don't like:

- Online activation required when installing from a disc.

- No de-authorization.

- CD required. They degrade.

- Another program required. I want my system power on the game, not other stuff.

- No guarantee of "It works or your money back."

I know I'm repeating myself from other threads, but oh well:

Mass Effect did not work on my computer despite tech support. One email even insinuated that SecuROM wouldn't let the game run because I had Norton Antivirus running. Didn't work turned off, either. Eventually (About two weeks after I first contacted them), they told me to take back the game and get the 360 version.

No store here takes returns on PC games or even buys them used anymore, and EA wouldn't take it back. I was angry, so I downloaded a crack from online. In ten minutes, the game played perfectly.

I'm not really a fan of activation at all either, though it's generally not a problem for a download. Downloaded from a different source though...:

I also have the Beta for Red Alert 3 installed, which was downloaded through FilePlanet. For some reason, I can't reach the EA.com domain, so I assume that's why RA3 refuses to let me open it. This one does appear to be my computer, but it's frustrating nonetheless.

September 23, 2008 1:39:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Poita_,
(I think EA released figures that only 0.4% of people install over 3 times or something like that)

They said that less than 1% of users had activated Spore on 3 computers. What's troubling about this figure is that it was released about a week after the US release of the game.

September 23, 2008 1:43:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jonnan001,
Second - if, having a legitimate copy, I have to wonder "If the company goes under, am I screwed?".

I haven't heard of it's happening, but yeah, it bothers me.

Double posting since edit is borked.

The Yahoo Music store went under. All songs could still work but they'd only work on that computer. Ever. People who bought the music were forced to never upgrade that computer again or lose their music.

September 23, 2008 2:46:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ok heres my take on the issue its 3 fold.

First secrom is stepping into the sevartity of being starforce. It istalls drivers much like SF did and other nasty things with out consect of the owner. It also uses rootkit like parts too it. And what is its ring access? my guess like starforce its ring 0 but this here is pure conjectur no facts to back this part up. We really have no idea what effects secrom has on peoples comps and does it create secrutiy and stablity issues. SF did... a number of people do report that secrom does cause proplems in that the game doesnt run or doesnt run proprerly.

Second is online activation any online activation i dont really like. Why? its rather simple i dont expect game compans to simply last. Like any corporation they can go under at any time. Great exaple is look at the finaltal compains they are going under left and right atm. Things change and if they do there online actvation gets turned of so am i left with nice coffie waffer 5 years form now? because i still play games that old and older. Every so often i even pop HW1 in or fallout. if fallout used online activation well i would be sol. Interplay and the other compain dont exist any more. If one must go with online activation it should have no limit. I reinstall my os every 6 months to 1 year. A lot of people do just that. you have hd crashes or any number of other issues that happen so after 3 times basicly could be F*****.

Third is all the drm is conlrol. It does nothing to stop "PIRACY". case in point spore was cracked and on the net a week before it was released. Mass effect was cracked with in a week or might have been 2. DRM doesnt work on piracy but it does work as control. thats its true effect control on the legitimate end user no one else. It also has the effect with online acctivation in that it controls the resale market. DRM isnt for "PIRACY" but for resale thats its true goal atm.

September 23, 2008 6:04:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It definitely was the activation limit for spore - I didn't buy it myself for this reason nor did my uncle who really wanted to buy it before (he said he'll buy it once and if EA decides to sale it for 10 Euro). Many gamers like to play old games now and then and knowing that there is a 3 activation limit is really a turnoff. It also makes burrowing the game to a friend more or less impossible as it take one of only 3 activations and while that might be goal, I feel violated in my rights as german citizen to burrow and even sell (remember EULAs are mostly void here) any product I bought without artificial measurements to decrease the value of the product in the burrowing/selling process. As much as Publishers don't like that people burrow games to their friends it is considering like burrowing books or any other product here in germany. 

To be honest I don't mind to put a CD in my drive to play the game, without is better  but that would never be a reason to not buy a game.

Impulse Activation is okay and would be even cooler if multiplayer games (at least those published by stardock) would come with a multiplayer spawn client. You might call it piracy when there are 8 guys on a private lan, 7 of them have a specific game and give it to the 8th to be able to play this game togehter but as games with good multiplayer usually focus on multiplayer (where you need a legit copy to play online), the 8th guy will buy the game if he likes it, and if he doesn't like it, it isn't a lost sale either. A multiplayer spawn would make this a lot easier.

September 23, 2008 6:56:06 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I didn't have a particular objection to having to activate.  To use the online features of Spore you invariably have to activate, and I didn't have a problem with that.  What I did have a problem with was that the product didn't exactly live up to expectations after I had activated.  It's a bit crash-prone and poor value for money, in my opinion.

Now if I did burn through three activations somehow I probably would be on the phone to complain about it, but at the moment I have nothing to lament except the unfinished state of the game/toy/whetever.

September 23, 2008 7:17:53 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Being someone who is actually on the UK official Spore fourm can say the main problem before release was people did not want to “rent” the game with its 3 activations

A lot of the problems after Spores release were a load of rubbish and people not bothering to actually find out what caused it and just made posts blameing "The reincarnation of the devil SecuROM&EA" An example is someone being too stupid to look at the system requirements on the back of the box and seeing his graphics card is not supported.

September 23, 2008 7:24:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think part of the "activation limit" issue for Spore is that nobody actually knows exactly what counts as an activation. For example, is it activated on each install? Or is it activated on the first install and then as long as the computer specs stay the same, additional installs on the same PC don't trigger an activation? I've heard both, and I'm still not sure. The first case is really bad. The second case is a lot better - you can either install it on 3 PCs, or upgrade your PC 3 times which is a fair enough amount (at least for me, I upgrade once every 1.5-2 years). Then of course there's confusion about how much of an "upgrade" triggers an activation. Is it one device allowed before you need to activate again, or more?

This I think was an issue almost as big as the limit of activations itself - that regular people do not have detailed information on how it actually works, so there's a lot of guesswork and speculation: "I can only install it 3 times!" is quite different from "I can only keep installing as many times as I like until I upgrade 3 times, then I need to mess with EA support".

The other issue is EA support itself, which is pretty infamous. When people think EA support, they don't really consider them to be good (see Kitkun's above), so when the activation limit comes up, even though in theory they should be able to simply drop a support mail and have it reset they don't have a lot of hopes that this will actually happen, or happen without much hair ripping.

As for methods of protection itself, here's what I'm fine with:

- CD key. Obvious, but I don't have an issue entering cd keys on install and having them checked for MP or patches.

- Activation. The more transparent the better. D2D is bad with this, it pops up an activation window when you launch the game. The limit itself is generous, but it's also used on each install. Activation I think should apply mostly to online-tailored games and digital downloads. This is on principle. When people buy a single player game, they don't expect an internet connection for activation, and this was one of the major complaints about Mass Effect ("why do I need internet for a game that's 100% single player?"). Online games and digital downloads assume access and willingness to use the 'net, so they can go with activation.

- Steam-like. Yes it needs to run in the background to play the games, but at least it's pretty slim on the resource usage. As long as it stays slim, I don't mind.

- Stardockian. This is obvious. Transparent activations accompanied by good support. No disc dependancy and ability to download Stardock-published titles from retail keys. Good support is essential to an activation system, because people will have problems.

September 23, 2008 7:44:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What really ticked me off last week was the fact that a purchase of Crysis Warhead through steam also came with EA's SecuRom. I actually bought it on Steam because I though that surely, they wouldnt use any protection there as steam is enough protection and annoyance as is. Why would that ever be necessary? I can only play games from Steam when I am logged in or have a valid profile anyways. So next to the authorisation required by Steam I can also only install that game 5 times. So yeah, its 5 installs which you wont use any time soon. But if you buy a game, you want it to be free of any restrictions. Like mentioned before in this thread, it feels like you havent actually bought anything, you pay for 5 installs. So it is indeed more like renting the game.

So there you are, payed for a game. I have to load this silly Steam program before I can play and I'd better not mess up or change my PC's too often or I cant even play it at all.

Another problem with these activations and sneaky programs/drivers being installed to enforce 'publishers law' is that you dont even know about it, untill you either run into problems with the game or read about it on the internet somewhere. It should clearly state that when you pay for such a game, that you are actually purchasing x amount of installs. Basically, the publishers should say "Hey, nice of you to buy this product, thanks for the money.. once you have it installed we'll screw you over and cause problems. Muhahahaha!".

I have bought Mass Effect before as well, and only found out about its 3 installs limit later. Funny btw, that Spore caused so much more public uproar about the exact same activation policy being used. Or maybe Mass Effect's activation led to people actually paying attention when purchasing Spore? Like I should have done with Warhead appearantly.

If I had known beforehand, I would have thought twice about buying the game, that and Warhead. It would have been a pity too as they're great games that deserve to be payed for. 

The irony remains that people that actually do pirate never have any of these problems. 

To me, proper activation for a game, is that you register your key online, linked to one account, if you want to play online, or if you want to receive updates. Anything else will just annoy the user.

September 23, 2008 8:10:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I bought Spore at the release date, if i learn about this limited activation i won't buy it for certain.

Here is what i know how the activation work. The Securom generate a unique code for the machine it is installed on, the code is based on the hardware and OS and driver of the machine. this mean if you have 2 OS on your machine and install Spore, it count as 2. further more, if you upgrade your PC, you will automatically use up 1 more. I already use all 3 of mine already, since i installed on my desktop, laptop and my brother's laptop. Without knowing and warning of the game, i cannot install it on other machine anymore. This make me so hate EA now. okay you can argue that it's written in the user agreement and i havent read it carefully, but you really expect the thing you bought every month for many years now to have different details? if one day you go buy some  egg at the store and they change the label without announcing and force you to eat it at least 1 a day, that's the similar situation.

At least i think they should have a pop up window or some notice when you're about to use your activation, i'd not be so pissed off as i was back there.

And i think the reason people just screaming out about Securom now is the popularily of Spore and it's a casual game that most people want to play, not like high-end game Crysis or Hardcore RPG MassEffect that has fewer players. but seriously, Spore still got cracked in the same day of release!! Then... what is the reason for SecuRom now? Just to piss off your loyal customers that bought the game, I so love you EA.

The suggestion of how the copy protection should do, for me i really love how Stardock deal with this so yeah imo it's the best way of doing it. You can do activation invisbly, but you must make it unlimited too. I don't have a problem with that. And also making patches available only to their legal customer is the way to make people want to buy a legal copy, even more if those patches have some critical improvements like graphics and performance boost. More idea about how to do this is to do it like Unreal tournament, no copy protection for offline plays, only need legal copy for multiplayers, but that would work only on multiplayers-based games.

to sum it up, i think activation at first install is the best method for me, just make it visible to let users know how this thing work would be great and make more people know what is happening.

September 23, 2008 9:17:42 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

- Stardockian. This is obvious. Transparent activations accompanied by good support. No disc dependancy and ability to download Stardock-published titles from retail keys. Good support is essential to an activation system, because people will have problems.

Personally I think that with the retail discs wide open, and no-arbitrary-limits activation only required for updates, we've got a pretty good system. The only people who have issues right now are those without internet at home (which we're working on a solution to), and those who object to Impulse on general principle (honestly, not much we can do there; some will object to anything short of completely unprotected http downloads).

September 23, 2008 9:20:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I miss the little heavy stock decoder wheels like in Star Control and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe   lol

September 23, 2008 9:24:21 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I might get slammed for this, but I don't even mind the requirement for having the CD in reader in order to play as long as it's a good enough game.  Games like Midtown Madness need them in both computers if you want to race head to head. Of course, being a "classic", you can get the CDs for about $9.00 or less.  Probably even cheaper by now, so losing a CD isn't the end of the world.

Stardock has a great system.  A CD key to get updates.  With SDC, having the option to archive to your hard drive was nice.  I'm not sure if Impulse has that feature enabled yet, but if it does, that's a nice safe way to store the backup. Even if Stardock goes under, the backup can be restored to any computer and the serial number is safely stored, unencrypted in the registry of the original computer.  If you want, Stardock will send the serial number to you via email for a permanent electronic record.  This is superior by far to any other protection scheme from the customer's viewpoint.  Or at least, it should be.

Having limited installations and having to call the company to override sounds like a potential problem, but if the company looks like it'll be around for a few years, I'm even ok with that.  If Spore is from EA, I'd think it'd be safe to say they'll be around a while. 

I think needing to have to contact the company via internet or whatever means every time you want to play a single player game would be going over the top.  I have no games like that in my collection and hope to never have one.

September 23, 2008 9:31:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personally I think that with the retail discs wide open, and no-arbitrary-limits activation only required for updates, we've got a pretty good system. The only people who have issues right now are those without internet at home (which we're working on a solution to), and those who object to Impulse on general principle (honestly, not much we can do there; some will object to anything short of completely unprotected http downloads).

Yep. That's also why I didn't really mention the "But what if Stardock goes out of business". Such principles can't really be changed. If someone feels that strongly about not wanting to use a second app to download/update games, it won't matter how friendly you make it. They still won't use it. It's the same with the principle of needing to activate and the "what if the servers ever go down". That's just the reality of digital distribution that people have to deal with if they want easy access to downloads and re-downloads.

It's good that you guys are making the discs unprotected so that folks who buy retail will always be able to install and play regardless of Stardock's future. But the same can't always be done for digital downloads and patches. Again, that's just the reality of the business. And it's a pretty tiny risk. The only semi-recent big publisher that I can remember going out of business is Interplay. Sure, there were several developers who closed down, but it's the publisher who deals with activations/protections. If Ironclad closed down tomorrow, we would still be able to activate and re-download Sins and patches, we just wouldn't get further development on it.

September 23, 2008 10:42:21 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

People just thought they'd choose some high profile game with SecuROM and make a mass protest against it. I bet the vast majority had no intention of buying the game anyway.

I'd be really interested in some "sound" survey data on this point, and I wouldn't at all make a bet either way without it. I've not bothered with Amazon b/c I shunned them years ago for their severe flip-flop on privacy rights. But I've posted several times here, and the ongoing conversation has been very interesting to me.

To answer Frogboy's Q about why I rejected the current SPORE/SecuROM combo, it is both the "rental" thing via activation limits, and, perhaps more importantly, that wacky idea that you have to connect every time you play and you lose your activation if you don't play every 10 days. Just the notion that EA found that a reasonable tactic left me very much on the boycott side.

The funny part is that I'm turning out to be grateful for that "bad" decision. I was hooked by that long video demo from several years ago also--when Will Wright toured that earlier version of the game, it truly looked like I might get my wish to have SimEarth married to Civ and MoO/GC. For grownups. Now, that appears to be a pipe dream, or at best something that will take years to get at a reasonable price (8-pack megaversion in the discount bin).

As to Brad's thread-title question, (c) opponent that I am, I have to say, "What the market will bear." Like almost all law, (c) depends on people accepting that it is reasonable and obeying. There is no viable (sustainable) option for enforcing (c) b/c computer technology naturally enables and encourages copying. I hope Stardock's current model gains traction both because I want them to keep making games I like and because I believe it could be a good first step to abandoning the whole stupid regime as we currently practice it. Software users and producers need to acknowledge and sustain their mutual dependency through service contracts, not the delusion that knowledge can be property. Rights of attribution are essential for the progress of "the arts and sciences," but rights of property are not.

September 23, 2008 10:45:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

perhaps more importantly, that wacky idea that you have to connect every time you play and you lose your activation if you don't play every 10 days. Just the notion that EA found that a reasonable tactic left me very much on the boycott side.

This is the part that I'm pretty sure they removed, since it caused a huge outcry for MassEffect - or does Spore still call home every 10 days to re-verify?

September 23, 2008 12:02:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

To me, the biggest problem by far is the arbitrarily small number of activations.  This has kept me from getting Mass Effect (really want that game), and would keep me from getting Spore (if I really wanted to get it).

There's a large issue with peace of mind if I'm only given a limited number of activations and would have to structure such activities such as computer reformats, and upgrades around how many activations I have on such a game.  Heck, while the abitlity to deauthorize activations is an improvement, I would still much rather not have to worry about doing such things in the first place.  I encountered such a problem with Rhapsody where I had authorized it on a laptop that I had since thrown away (it was 6 years old and didn't work very well), I had also reformatted my main computer a few times without deauthorizing first, and so I encountered my authorization limit and that bugged me quite a bit.

I just don't want to have to worry about all this stuff.  I'd like to reformat my computer without making sure I deauthorize every program I've had installed on the machine.  Same goes with upgrading my computer.  I mean, one of the bonuses to buying a legitamite piece of software should be that it's more convenient.  I mean, in a world where the sad fact is that legitamite software has to compete with illegal software, the legitamite software should be able to offer things that are better than the illegal software, and convenience should be among the easiest to implement.

That said, I'm glad many are switching away from such things such as requiring the CD in teh drive, and storing your cd-key online.  I'll tell you, I had to buy a copy of Starcraft alone I think four maybe five times because I either lost the cd or the cd-key.

Now, if I'm to buy something like Mass Effect, all that I would ask is that the activations be increased to something less imposing (3 or even 5 is too little in my opinion), have the ability to deauthorize activations, and automatically restore an activation after a given period of time, say 6 months.  My only concern then would be the servers not being available in say 5 years or so, but I can live with the above for now.  

September 23, 2008 12:13:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

For what it's worth...

What exactly am I paying for when I buy a game (or any IP for that matter)?

If it's the media, then I should be able to use that media however I see fit.  Put it on a different machine, loan it out, rent the machine it's installed on,  sell it when I'm done with it, etc.

If it's a license to use the content, then I should be able to use it only for myself, but on whatever device I see fit, including converting it to a different format.

Sometimes, some of the big IP players try to make it like a movie ticket.  One view for one person, and pay again if you want to see it again.  If you are going to make it that way, then it should be priced conpariable to renting a video (in other words, priced low).

September 23, 2008 12:26:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, this topic has been covered in at least a few other threads on the Stardock sites, but. . .

Personally, I have Spore. I installed it without a hitch, and so far, with maybe an hour-and-a-half of play under my belt, I can say that I like it a lot. Whether you like the game or not, I strongly suspect, depends on your expectations, but that's not really relevant to the topic. I have read on Spore's website that the activation limit only affects different computers, not mulitple installs on the same computer. While I've been known to reinstall games from time to time (I actually had to reinstall Age of Empires III two or three times), I don't have three computers at home, let alone five. So I don't see an activation limit of 5 (it's been raised from three to five as I understand it) as being particularly onerous. It is my personal belief that many people don't have three to five computers at home, but maybe I'm being naive.

Activation limits do impact the resale market, but that's also a pretty trivial concern to me, especially as the internet is the only real way to resell games in my area, and for the most part, it's not worth it.

So where Spore is concerned, it really does seem to me that this was some sort of broad-based protest against both the concept of DRM in general and EA's use of it in particular. (There seem to be a large number of people who really intensely dislike EA.) So what's a practical alternative to activation limits?I don't know. Stardock's system works well for me, and it's about the laxest system on the market today (at least of which I'm aware). I have SoaSE installed on my home computer and my work laptop right now. I rarely play it on my home computer, but it's pretty much the only thing I play on the laptop, because I could install it without having an optical media drive (which the unit lacks). Only having that computer while my power was out for two weeks made me actually appreciate Sins a bit more as a game. 

Questions have been raised about the concept of DRM in general and the fact that it rarely, if ever, stops people from pirating games. In other threads, people have compared downloadable software to MP3 downloads. I could only suggest that the market value of a song is about 30 to 50x less than that of a PC game, so it only makes economic sense that a company that has invested the kind of capital (millions of dollars for some games) required to make that product should have some (at least) minimal means of protecting it.

September 23, 2008 1:10:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Lots of good answers here, and much of what I feel has been covered, but I'll throw in my two cents as well.

I bought BioShock without knowing about its DRM scheme. I was burned on that game and lost my activations due to changing user accounts and putting in another internal hard drive. This was not a new drive for the OS, but just an extra drive for more storage. I was locked out of my game. When this happened, I checked out the BioShock forums and was appalled at what I was reading. Limited activations? A new version of SecuROM that acts like a rootkit and is as bad as, possibly worse than, StarForce?

From that experience, I resolved never to buy a game with that type of DRM and also I'd research what they had on them for copy protection before buying. So, gone are the days of an impulse buy (no pun intended) of games. I used to walk buy the game shelf and maybe pick up a game on whim. No more.

Now, along came Mass Effect PC with its limit of three activations and the propsed phone home every ten days scheme. (Side note: a BIG hats off to BioWare for warning their fans about it before release). So yeah, I was one of the many people bitching and protesting about that. I own every BioWare game for the PC up to MEPC (and I'm a moderator on their forums), so I wasn't just some anti-DRM freak jumping onto their forums to post smack about it.

So yeah, what's the big deal?

I don't want a 'security' program installed on my machine that does not uninstall when the game is uninstalled. (For those interested, SecuROM version 7.xx installs hidden files on your machine, cannot be removed by a simple delete, hass ring0 access, etc. This info can be found on the r-force site, as well as other sites).

I don't want a single player game that needs to phone home. Why should it? I paid for it, and I should be able to play it wheter or not I'm connected to thin

I don't want to have to activate a single player off-line game. If there's a multiplayer component or it's an on-line game, then I've no issue with activations.

Related to the above: limits on activations. Why is it a big deal? Because no one is willing to (or perhaps, they're unable to) tell the user exactly what will trigger an activation with respect to hardware changes. The end user should not be in the dark and nervously wringing his hands worried that his game may lock him out if he's adding/changing hardware on his system.

Don't push this DRM as some necessity to 'protect our intellectual property from piracy' whenit patently does no such thing. Really, stop listening to the snake oil salesmen from SonyDADC and ask them why their oh-so-great copy protection system does not stop your game from being pirated. Then ask them for a full refuns on the money you paid them for this completely ineffective system.

Why should a thrid party program that comes with a game be able to dictate what other programs I can have running on my computer or in same instances, what I can even have installed on my computer?

So, some people think the activation scheme is okay, and it may be for many users, but what about those that runinto problems? Just call the support line. Well, the problem with EA support is it's not toll free in every country, so you run into an expense there. As well, many times you get the back-and-forth runaround of 'try this and contact us if it doesn't work' and 'provide this further bit of ionformation and we'll get back to you', so you end up waiting hours, days, or even weeks before you get your game up and running again. And even if it's  relatively fast process, it means that every single time you need to activate again in the future, you've got to go through the same prcedure all over again, becasue they only give you one extra activation at a time.

So what's a viable copy protection? None. Yeah, I said it. None, because no copy protection actually works to prevent copying and pirating of games. The Stardock model is a good one. I've personally no issue with CD keys and needing the disc in the drive, but the Stardock model where there's no copy protection on the disc, you don't have to activate your game to play it, and you don't have to run a separate program to run your game is the best current model that I've seen. I'm perfectly fine with having to register your game to get patches/new content. But there's a caveat here as well: I feel you should be able to sell your game and the new user should be able to get the patches (so, in essence, there shouldn't be a problem transferring the CD key to another user), and there should be some method (that Stardock feels is secure for them) to patch your game if your rig is not connected to the internet.

Sorry if tis post is a bit incoherent and rambking. I'm in a hurry and just wanted to get this posted before I go out the door.

September 23, 2008 2:17:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There is no way of making sure things go your way without "really-pissing-off" everyone who needs things to go another way...

Gamers need to protect their investment...

...and Developers need to protect their assets

These two alone are not in conflict, but when you add the Pirates... (who aquire and/or distribute assets illegally), then the situation is complicated for everyone, and it becomes a Zero-Sum game...

September 23, 2008 3:06:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Don't give hackers the excercise, save cash and give better support to users.
Physical media is going out the door, online registration is the way to go!

I applaud and support Stardock product. My first purchase was GALCIV II and now I have numerous applications and games. If I need my disk space back, I can just reinstall it later.

Also the Gamers bill of rights, AWESOME!

I will make it a personal stance, that I will not work at any company that doesn't have their Gamers at heart. As a games programmer I program for the Gamers, their enjoyment is my drive, my passion and my salary.

If you really want more money EA let user buy stuffedtoy versions of their creations.
Also think about mugs, t-shirts and other random stuff.
Don't nag the user with thanks for buying please send us the proof, just let them bleed dry by their own volition by offering additional services that you can only get with online registration 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.