The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Mouse controls

By on September 20, 2008 9:04:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Does it seem to anyone else that the left mouse button is underused in this game?  I understand that it is based on an RTS engine, where the left mouse button traditionally selects your units, and the right mouse button gives them commands, but it seems to me that since the player is only controlling one unit, this should be changed around.  I think moving with the left mouse button and using attacks with the right mouse button like in Diablo would work pretty well.

What do all of you think?

+2 Karma | 7 Replies
September 20, 2008 10:08:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it is moving with the left button at least thats what mine does

September 20, 2008 11:58:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

left-mouse to move, right-mouse to attack would indeed work fine for the assassins (the current lot we're playing with). however, it simply would be far too painful for the generals when they're commanding troops.

once we get our grubby little hands on the generals, this should become aparant.

that said, strikersgun appears to have made good use of the options menu already. Curseman, maybe you should try that too?

September 21, 2008 4:13:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think I have the option to change any keybindings or anything of that sort.  I have a tab for gameplay options, which doesn't offer any ability to alter my keybindings, and then there are video and sound options, which are likewise unrelated.  Is this different from what anyone else has?

At any rate, I don't think having different controls for assassin characters versus general characters is a bad idea.

September 21, 2008 4:42:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Curseman,
At any rate, I don't think having different controls for assassin characters versus general characters is a bad idea.

ah, we have our disagreement there. generals will also be running around on the floor mixing it up with assassins and creeps alike. having one unified control scheme (allowing some user customisation) will reduce the learning curve for everyone.

i personally could make do with differing control schemes, but i'm willing to make a wager that lots of people will come to the forum complaining that it makes little to no sense.

September 21, 2008 5:10:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well left clicking to move serves no benefits either. You can as well just use right click on an empty spot.

I am more worried about the lack of screen edge scrolling. The maps aren't as big as in SupCom that scroll wheel strategic zooming out and back in again to reposition is counter-intuitive and weird.

September 21, 2008 9:55:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My only issue was that the left mouse button seemed like it wasn't really used much, and that it might be better for the controls to split it more evenly, but after playing another round and looking at it, I think that it's inevitably going to be that way.  Since the player has 3 basic abilities (movement, attacking, and using skills), it's inevitable that one mouse button will end up doing more than the other.  I think it'll be better for generals, like BulletMagnet said, and that it will be fine as long as they let players adjust the controls like I'm sure they'll be able to in the final version.

September 22, 2008 6:05:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreed. When in doubt, options.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.