The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[IDEA] Game Mode - Time Trial RPG

By on September 14, 2008 2:37:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The basic idea is that everyone picks their favorite demigod(maybe just from the assasian option) and you go through a large fairly linear map with several flags.  The flags are outposts that once captured act as healing/shopping locations.  There would be creeps/Demigods(AI) at the flags that you must kill in order to cap the flag.  The challenge would be in working together as a group to take out these things.  The basic goal would to be to clear the stage as fast as possible.

+5 Karma | 18 Replies
September 14, 2008 2:51:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this is really a custom map, not a game mode (afterall, you did specify a 'fairly linear' map) . none-the-less, i'd like to play this as a custom map.

September 14, 2008 5:07:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't like this idea. I think it could be fun add-on later in game but right for now we should concentate on main game.

September 14, 2008 8:35:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We just need mod support.. this would be a waste of time for the devs.

also why didn't you just put both ideas inone thread instead of making two threads at the same time?

September 14, 2008 10:10:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

incidentally, i just got mod support thanks to the great Sorian, but such things are kept on the down-low. we now need more modders.

September 14, 2008 7:24:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1) I don't see why working on other game modes will make the main mode worse.  I really think having more game modes adds to te game alot.

2) I'm not against mod support but look at a game like counter-strike.  You have plant the bomb / rescue the hostages / VIP modes and you still have modded counter-strike games.

3) Programming more game modes into the game actually makes things easier for "custom map" creators.  The more they tweak the engine to create different game modes the more hooks they will put into it for modders to use.

@inno P.S.  Threads represent distinct ideas.  Whenever more that one idea is introduced into a thread it makes having any discussion harder.  We are already talking over the internet which obscures what we are saying so anyway we can make it even a bit more clear we should.  I thought the discussion would be more led towards the actually opinions on the specific modes rather than about the idea of modes at all.  I guess I didn't realize that any game mode other than the main mode would be met with such hostility.

September 14, 2008 7:31:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1:  Because it's a waste of the devs time instead of making the normal game mode good.  They only have 4 months to make Demigod's normal game type be good.

Also, both threads are about game modes.

September 15, 2008 8:36:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

2: There is a gulf between the various degrees of mod support. Sins, for example is very good, but has a few glaring shortcomings because of hardcoded things that simply cannot be changed. It's driving me nuts, because to do a proper job on the mod I'm making, I need more armor types than I currently have. I have no way to remedy this. In an ideal game, there would be a way to edit this, but it isn't and it cuts down on the variety of mods that is possible. It would be very good to have the ability to change it.

September 15, 2008 12:16:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sins isn't that good to me..

Pretyt much impossible to get a game going online with them, and sooo much is hardcoded.

In sins all you can do is change some effects, change damage/firing/movement speed, change af ew nubmers on abilities..

September 18, 2008 12:32:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting innociv,
1:  Because it's a waste of the devs time instead of making the normal game mode good.  They only have 4 months to make Demigod's normal game type be good.

Also, both threads are about game modes.

Horrible, ignorant attitude.

That attitude is what leads a huge majority of games that should be good - and maybe even are good for one play through - in to festering piles of crap.  There is no reason that the developers shouldn't do anything they can to add polish to their game.  And, frankly, deadlines in the software business are little more than management appeasers that get pushed around as seen fit.

The idea that games should get patches and expansion packs to fill out the rest of the details of a game just to meet a deadline is horrible and should not be encouraged.  It leads to lazy developement, which ultimately hurts the product in all areas, simply because it becomes a mindset of the developers.

Ideas are to be weighed based on their merit and how it fits in with the overarching design of the game.  First person shooters, for instance, lend themselves nicely to also be capture the flag games.  RPG games, for instance, lend themselves nicely to tackling some PvM action with buddies (the idea presented in the original post).

What you are missing is the fact that good developers can still make their primary game mode all it can be, while still adding in even more.

September 18, 2008 3:20:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

okay... so having an ORPG gamemode out of the box is going to make this game better?

I'd prefer modders and map makers to be able to make that type of thing like WC3.

I don't see what was ignorant about my statement.  The game needs all the time it can to polish up the gameplay and Demigods to become a good competitive game.

September 18, 2008 3:22:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The OP puts in this suggestion of making an additional game mode while some posters suggest that they get mod support. Brent, I doubt they'll have time to do it in their current timetable but I think they could work on implementing mod support for what you're talking about, and then modders can do the rest. I'll break down your Idea to show that decent mod support can handle this:

• The basic idea is that everyone picks their favorite demigod(maybe just from the assasian option) Mod support for starting games with a limited selection of Demigods
  • and you go through a large fairly linear map with several flags.  Mod support for map creation
  • The flags are outposts that once captured act as healing/shopping locations.  Support for triggering events
  • There would be creeps/Demigods(AI) at the flags that you must kill in order to cap the flag.  Support for designing creeps, adjusting stats, adjusting pathing
  • The challenge would be in working together as a group to take out these things. Support for designing maps that puts everyone on one side
  •  The basic goal would to be to clear the stage as fast as possible. Support for a time-limit that triggers losses/more mobs to spawn

Mod support should be a general priority for the Devs. If they can't get a map modder down by launch date they should push it back. I don't need my game super-fast if it turns out to be same-gameplay garbage.

So basically:

1. Us: "We need mod support"
  2. Devs: "No, we're going to focus on making the main game by release date"
  3. Some: "...Push the release date back."
  4. Others: "Everyone's ideas are garbage if they might delay the game release. They're obligated to put it in later, right?"
  5. Some: "You guys should shut up"
  6. *fighting*

Innociv, I'll ask you this: How did DotA, the inspiration for this game, come to be? Also when did WC3 allow for map modding?

September 18, 2008 4:15:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

DotA came to be from modding.. right

I'm the one that supports modding a ton so why are you asking me that question instead of Lumifly or Brent?

September 18, 2008 4:53:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Brent's idea should be constructable through modding upon release. Try to help people understand how certain game modes can be developed through modding instead of telling them that its a waste of time. Also I know you like modding. I want to make it clear that with the current game system it won't be worth the money unless a good modding system comes out with it. And if it has to be held back past the 4 month limit then so be it.

Don't use the release date as an excuse to bash people's ideas, especially since we're only at beta1, and this is in fact the ideas thread.

September 19, 2008 2:09:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm all for modding.  If you got from my post I am against modding I'm sorry but I love mods.  I really don't think anyone is opposed to the idea modding.  However, simply because there is modding however does not mean the game has to have only 1 game mode at launch and leave any others to modding.  Having more game modes at release "officially" supported means there are more ways to compete online.  I think it would be cool if there were some time trial RPG thing like this in the game where teams can cooperate to out do each other.  Anyways like I said before and I'll restate:

Programming more game modes into the game actually makes things easier for "custom map" creators.  The more the they(the devs) tweak the engine to create different game modes the more hooks they will put into it for modders to use.

Simply opposing any game modes because "modders" can create them doesn't make much sense to me.  It seems to me that if you really wanted to support modding you'd want as many game modes pre-built as possible. More game modes would ultimately lend itself to more functionality in any modding program.

September 19, 2008 3:03:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A lot of people never see mods or are unwilling to try them. Having stuff built in tends to add replay value and something for everyone.

September 19, 2008 3:15:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would rather get the game out a few weeks earlier and have one of the fanatic modders from Supcom mod this in.

Seriously, if the game was released earlier the modders can get to work on adding it and the devs can start working on bugfixes and updates.

You can't really mod the full game very well before it's released.

September 19, 2008 3:22:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Most people tend to not see mods because of poor online transfering methods.
When you have to download a mod from a website, run in install, and possibly have to activate it, then people tend to not use them.

All the most popular modded play games have either a http redirect transfer for mods or peer2peer transfering.
Supcoms modded online play was sort of popular for a game without either of those methods.. but doesnt' compare to games that usually ahve that method.

September 19, 2008 10:40:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hold up, theres a difference between modding and map modding and I think some people might be getting confused (me). In fact I wasn't specific in my reply number 11. I like general mod support as any, which you could download from a third party site to help your UI/whatever.

What I was noting was a demand for a "Map generator/modder" which comes right with the game. What happens then would be sort of like Team Fortress 2: When people make really great maps, the devs use that map as an honorary map. These honorary maps are automatically installed under Impulse.

So Brent what I'm suggesting is that when someone makes a cool map (like the one you suggested ) and people really get into it, and if Gas Powered Games sees so many people playing them, they turn it into an honorary map. Everyone downloads the map and has the option of hosting/joining it.

So Instead of TIME TRIAL RPG being one of the game options to choose, you first choose "HONORARY CUSTOM MAPS" then TIME TRIAL RPG is one of the maps there. If it's really popular then you won't have a hard time finding groups.

And with your arguement that it should come out with release immediately... well I'd like it but unless they'd push the date back they're not going to have enough time. I'm not sure if you were familiar with Team Fortress 2 but they generated a really solid gameplay with map editing abilities, but had a small amount of maps. People did not like that, but with the inclusion of honorary maps there really is a wide variety.

I think that most people will remain attached to the game if map modding comes out immediately with it so that theres a steady stream of good maps coming out. I agree that making other game modes from the get go is useful so here's hoping.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.