The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Vision Range

By on September 12, 2008 10:43:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is it just me or does the vision radius need to be increased a bit?  Especially playing regulus it's hard to spot enemy demigod's and use range to your advantage when you only can see them up close.

0 Karma | 22 Replies
September 12, 2008 10:58:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Soo you want to see people coming forever away so you can cowardly run away without needing to use wards or anything?

September 12, 2008 11:04:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe the current map is just very foggy. There is a waterfall after all... with plenty of moisture to make things real misty. Given that we can see whole maps without the fog in the preview video, this might be a feature currently locked with the current beta.

However, if it were a lava stage (like the one shown in the intro) I would have a few things to say.

P.S. If I recall correctly, one of Regulus's powers allows him to continue to see enemy demigods for about a minute after they disappear into the fog.

September 13, 2008 5:14:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fog is off in the videos and screenshots because they're videos and screenshots and not there to show gameplay.

September 13, 2008 6:51:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah feels a bit too narrow, even for melee class. Maybe it will be better when we get generals in.

September 13, 2008 11:05:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Disagree. The game works very well now - adjust outwardly the view radius of units and you eliminate a great deal of the tactical prediction involved in battling enemies. Movement speeds would have to be increased to compensate, so that players could still execute feints and/or attack in unexpected places, and that in turn would result in a much faster-paced and less playable game. I don`t want Demigod to flow like lightning, I want to have time to think and plan, as I do now. 

September 13, 2008 11:18:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WarlokLord has is pegged IMO. increased LoS and it's associated balance issues would be bad for gameplay.

i might point out to the OP that there's a consumable item that you plant on the map to give you LoS in that area. i think that's what you're looking for.

September 13, 2008 3:02:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wasn't suggesting increasing it by a lot, just a little.

It would probably make more sense if only some demigod's had theirs increased (such as regulus) while other stayed the same.

September 13, 2008 9:59:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd like an item that only I can get that instantly kills people anywhere on the map. Doesn't mean it's good for gameplay for everyone.

Scouting and ganking are important mechanics.

September 13, 2008 10:03:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i agree with op, visionrange is too short

September 14, 2008 1:46:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Vision range is too short, but then again the map we have is too small.

September 14, 2008 2:27:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Vision range has to be short because there are no obstacles that obstruct your view in this game.  If they added objects to the map that you could hide behind you could easily increase the vision range.  If vision range was increased as the game is you could never sneak up on anybody.

September 14, 2008 5:39:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Regulus can autoattack and Snipe into the Fog of War.  Upgrading the crossbow range should increase vision range by the same amount.

Don't even get me started on the Rook's trebuchet.  It has the range of the trebuchet on your fort, and normally is aimed at the same thing your fort is...the other fort.  Once that is down, it seems to like aiming at the closest enemy Demigod which means if you follow the boulder line you can track them.

Just things I've noticed.

September 15, 2008 12:12:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's a valid idea. Doesn't need to be insulted.

I'm on the fence on this one. For larger maps, a tiny increase might help. But also a slight decrease in vision for creeps?

September 15, 2008 12:42:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

once u move over a character that exits the fog of war into ur vision even if they retreat u can follow them with ur mouse all the way back to their base i think theres a limit to how long it lasts tho cause i usually stop following them with the mouse when i know i cant follow anymore

September 20, 2008 3:45:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can't show my exact numbers, but with Regulus' range maxed, he can shoot farther than he can see...Does anyone else find an issue with this?

September 20, 2008 3:57:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, he just needs to stay behind your spawned army. Then you plant mines before you need to retreat,

September 20, 2008 3:58:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sploogemonster,
I can't show my exact numbers, but with Regulus' range maxed, he can shoot farther than he can see...Does anyone else find an issue with this?

nope. i think it's perfectly fine; it means he's not a one-man-kiting-machine-of-the-apocalypese. he needs support, and that comes from teammates (and to a lesser extent, creeps).

September 20, 2008 1:27:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think it will also be interesting to see how vision range is affected with terrain (king of the hill anyone?)

September 20, 2008 2:59:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

According to one of the design jornal or interview (can't remember exactly which) it is mentioned that there will be no 3D terrain in Demigod solely due to potential AI issue of firing into cliff and slopes.

September 21, 2008 1:01:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, I don't. He can hide behind his lines to snipe or can pick off buildings. If he had as much sight range as he did attack range, he'd be way too easy to exploit. Firing across one of those square chasms, for example.

October 6, 2008 10:40:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nantukoprime,
The Regulus can autoattack and Snipe into the Fog of War.  Upgrading the crossbow range should increase vision range by the same amount.

Don't even get me started on the Rook's trebuchet.

Disagree. As others have said, giving the best ranged attacker vision range commensurate to his attack range would be imbalancing and unfair. Utilize allies and allied assets to attack enemy assets from beyond their vision ranges... happened all the time in Beta 1 and it was both effective and frustrating. In a good effective kind of way.

Ditto for the Rook Trebuchet.

October 6, 2008 11:08:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ineffigy,
No, he just needs to stay behind your spawned army. Then you plant mines before you need to retreat,

/thread

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.