The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Locked Post

Quote Button Broken

By on September 9, 2008 10:23:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have not been able to use the quote button all day. (waited to see if it would clear up on it's own...didn't)

I press the quote button and the screen will jump down to the text box but no text will appear in it. I've tried hilighting text and then hitting the button, same thing.  It happens in every thread. Did the forum update change how it works or is it a bug?

Vista with IE7.

+806 Karma | 31 Replies
September 9, 2008 10:28:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Please reply with a url we can see the issue youre reporting.

September 9, 2008 10:39:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's happening in all threads...this one included.

September 9, 2008 10:48:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Xiandi,
It's happening in all threads...this one included.

It's working again Thanks for reporting this. Change the id of a link and all hell breaks loose

September 9, 2008 10:54:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's working again
Thanks!!

Seems like you're always available...don't you sleep??

September 9, 2008 11:03:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've noticed an issue where selecting quote reloads the page. I have to re-highlight (if wanting specific text) and hit quote again to be able to actually write the post. This sounds slightly different to the one the OP reported.

September 9, 2008 11:08:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hack78. Please remember to include a url of the issue you are reporting and the browser and version you are using.

September 9, 2008 11:54:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It did it to this post - I highlighted the text from andrew_'s post and it cleared the text you will see underlined below (I did this from work and copied the text below to clipboard to make sure I didn't lose it - I had to post it back into the quick reply box)

I cannot include "A" url becuase it was happening on ALL posts I was replying to.
Happening at work - XP IE7 and at home - Vista IE7

September 10, 2008 12:05:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hrm. I can't seem to duplicate the issue. Please reply with very specific steps to reproduce the issue.

September 10, 2008 12:28:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Here's what I'm seeing; the quote button is working in IE7. Here are the steps.

Choose any thread.

Choose any reply.

Highlight the desired text.

Press the quote button.

These steps however, are not working when I use FF3.

I don't know if Stardock intends to support the FF3 browser.  I can get the FF3 browser to work using the IE Tab plugin.

September 10, 2008 1:39:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Choose any thread.

Choose any reply.

Press the quote button.

I don't know if Stardock intends to support the FF3 browser. I can get the FF3 browser to work using the IE Tab plugin.

Did that with FF3 on XP Pro SP2, same steps.

September 10, 2008 1:40:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Bebi Bulma,

Choose any thread.

Choose any reply.

Press the quote button.

I don't know if Stardock intends to support the FF3 browser. I can get the FF3 browser to work using the IE Tab plugin.

Again by simply clicking the "quote button."

Nested quoting would be nice however, since it doesn't distinguish my reply from the original quoted text.

September 10, 2008 4:55:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Choose any thread.

Choose any reply.

Wait for the page to reload (now at home)

Repeat steps to retain text

Choose any thread.

Choose any reply.

Hit Post

September 10, 2008 5:02:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If I'm reading this right you're saying FF3 without IE Tab works(for quote)?  It doesn't for me.

September 10, 2008 5:42:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yep, straight FF3.

September 10, 2008 8:39:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

BDBF, Try clearing your temp internet files/cache for Firefox. (Ctl+F5 Will usually work, otherwise try CCleaner for a more thorough function).

Quoting is confirmed working with IE6, IE7, Firefox 2.x, Firefox 3.x, Opera 9.5x, Safari/WebKit (latest). This has been tested on multiple machines with the browsers listed.

September 10, 2008 10:19:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting andrew_,
BDBF, Try clearing your temp internet files/cache for Firefox. (Ctl+F5 Will usually work, otherwise try CCleaner for a more thorough function).

Quoting is confirmed working with IE6, IE7, Firefox 2.x, Firefox 3.x, Opera 9.5x, Safari/WebKit (latest). This has been tested on multiple machines with the browsers listed.

Yep, that got it.  Thanks andrew_!

September 10, 2008 6:51:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So what about the issue I am finding when the first time I hit the quote button the page is reloaded, clearing any text I have already written and wish to add a quote to???

September 11, 2008 1:31:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hack78,

I will need numbered steps and screenshots of each step from you to reproduce that issues, im afraid. I cannot determine what action you are taking to cause that to happen based upon your last reply. I also cannot reproduce any action where text is dissappearing.

September 11, 2008 10:38:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have nowhere to post screen shots - plus you would ideally need a video to fully see how it happens. But the steps are as I said above.

1) <Optional if required> Write some text

2) Click quote button (either highlighted text for snippet or whole message)

3) Lose anything already entered into the Quick Reply text box as the page reloads

4) Wait for page again.

5) Start again (i.e. re-enter text from step 1 if it was present and perform quote function again so that the quote works this time (without reloading the page))

5) Finalise posts and click "Post Reply" button and wait for forum to reload with the posted message on the bottom

September 11, 2008 11:01:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey Andrew, here are the steps and pics.

September 11, 2008 11:04:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

(my edit button is not working.....)

Typing in the text first is optional. I just did it to show you that everything vanishes when you hit the quote button.

September 11, 2008 11:29:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks Xiandi - that basically looks like my issue as far as I can tell..

September 12, 2008 5:44:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Just posted the following link without the page reposting (at home)

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/324042/page/2/#1874090

September 12, 2008 9:30:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've followed those exact steps on three different machines with IE7 and IE6 and cannot make the page reload happen. Nor can I get the text to clear in Quick Reply box.

From your screenshots it looks like your browser is not handling the anchor properly. What *should* be happening, is not that the page is reloading, but rather than the page just scrolls down to the reply box. If you're mistaking the page scrolling to the reply box (which is what happens with #reply shows up in your address bar) then the page is not reloading at all, and it's a problem with the editor. If the page is actually reloading (as in you see a progress bar at the bottom and you can tell the page is physically reloading) then you have a problem with your installation of IE.

I'll see if I can manually force it to break today, just to rule out any possibilities that the script is causing the issue. If I can't force it to break, I'm going to try a different method of 'scrolling' back down to the quick reply box. So check back in about two hours and I'll reply with a followup.

September 12, 2008 8:41:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

you're mistaking the page scrolling to the reply box (which is what happens with #reply shows up in your address bar) then the page is not reloading at all, and it's a problem with the editor

I did not really look to see if the page really reloaded, and I can't remember if the progress bar showed up. I don't know if you fixed anything or not, but it seems to be working OK now. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000204   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.