The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Gameplay] Flag locking. Broken or not?

By on September 8, 2008 3:53:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

<nrawr> there needs to be an unlock item is all
<Oakwarrior> There shouldn't be a lock in the first place
<nrawr> YES
<OrleanKnight> So you can teleport to it, lock it, and move on with your life
<nrawr> LOCK IS AWESOME
<Oakwarrior> Heh
<TheBigOne> or the lockdown just slows it down or needs you to have 2 demigods there
<Oakwarrior> TBO speaks wisdom
<innociv> good idea TBO

Make the lock counts as -1 enemy there.
So 1 person can't capture when it's locked, and with 2 people it captures as if there is only 1 person there.

+34 Karma | 64 Replies
September 16, 2008 9:07:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I say that 50% takeover reduction when the game reads a 1v1/2v1(someone disconnects), while anything above that has the lock count as one demigod, is a possible solution.

It just requires some extra coding to switch the effect of the lock over when it goes from 2v2 to 2v1. You might say "oh that one person is screwed anyway, why bother," But lets say someone on the other side leaves to balance things and its 1v1.

You might not think that happens alot but in DotA you could set up a 2v2 game and two people might leave immediately.

September 16, 2008 11:59:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah.

Except in 4vs4 and 5vs5 it should count as 2 people.  Otherwise it'd be pretty worthless.

I think the scaling like that does make it more complicated.. however it'd make the game play better, so I dunno.

September 16, 2008 12:29:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It just need some minor adjustments. Like slower capture time to your side it moves to fast from one side to next. and possibly an audio someone is attempting to capture a flag. i agree with the longer to lock time. only if stun and freeze get nerfed as well otherwise you will ruin a strat that is viable right now in the game.  If you increase the time then maybe stun and freeze do nothing to the ability to lock but then again you are helpless and can't defend yourself. I say tweeak very little and let it be part of strategy.

September 16, 2008 1:47:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds like a good idea to me.

September 16, 2008 3:22:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think a scaling implementation would be complicated but thats the dev's problems not ours The only thing that would suck would be a detailed description on the lock item:

• "Reduces capture time by 50% in 1v1.
  • Requires two demigods to capture in 2v2.
  • Requires two demigods but reduces capture time by 50% in 3v3.
  • Requires three demigods in 4v4.
  • Requires three demigods but reduces capture time by 50% in 5v5.
  • If you lock a flag in a custom-made 6v6, a black hole opens up and sends the demigod through a dimensional rift to the land of the smurfs, where he/she will compete with Papa smurf, supreme grandmaster and lord of all smurfs, for rule over his kingdom."

Maybe we'll just keep it as "Requires more demigods to capture flag"

September 16, 2008 4:54:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah jebo, that's what i said in one of my replies on page 1

Pretty much the exactsame thing, so i think obviously that's the way to do it.

Well, except for the different for each.  I think it should be one way for 1vs1, another way for 2v2 and 3v3, another for 4v4 and 5v5.  Makes it simpler.

September 17, 2008 9:23:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I believe that you had not included the smurf factor in your first posts

September 19, 2008 1:59:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

smurf factor?

And no i didn't in the first post, but in one of the replies..

September 19, 2008 5:15:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well technically you post a reply. So in your first reply posts...

Blarg,I can't edit replies.

No wonder people keep making their own topics, at least there they can edit them as they come up with better ideas/better grammar.

September 19, 2008 7:48:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

haha...

I didn't really feel the need to edit to put that in I guess.

And yeah.. the edits on this forum are so lame.

What they shuold jsut do is have it be like wiki where you can see past versions.

September 21, 2008 8:12:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The scaled demigod really makes sense. Encourages cooperation and is very simple (you could explain it to noobs in one sentence in a toolip in the game). If you make mechanics too complicated people will be turned off.  (I think Aspartem's suggestion about item recharging would be interesting to apply to everything consumable-with varying stocks/recharge rates for different items)

September 21, 2008 8:15:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For the devs it would be a breeze, just have 4 different items that appear the same to players and put each one into each appropriate map with the description "Makes capturing the flag harder for enemy forces".

October 2, 2008 3:30:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

IMO, you shouldn't be able to lock it at all. Instead, you should be able to make opponent team cap it harder, like need more time to cap. And yeah applying the lock while it's still intact should not be possible, it'll make the owner monopolize the flag forever or make it too hard to recap it for opponent.

The similar example is in W40k Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, you can cap and build the outpost over the flag(strategic points) to make your opponent spend more time to recap it.

October 2, 2008 10:36:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Some of you guys are making this too complicated.  Just make it so it requires 1 extra guy to capture, it captures more slowly, or keep it the same and up the price/lower the duration, or something simple like that.  Making it has a different effect for every possible number of players is unnecessary and just makes it more complicated for no reason.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.