The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

First Feedback

By on September 7, 2008 2:24:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First of all, English is not my first language, so excuse me if i do a few grammar mistakes But i'll think you'll understand me. Second, i definitly going to refer to dota, and compare this game to dota quite often. This is because, it's the only thing similiar to Demigod and i play Dota a lot and i'm not that bad at it.

I know, we should post it "Issue after Issue" but if i didnt do it like that, i would forget/miss a few things.

I really have to say, i don't want that Demigod becomes a shinier Dota. It has simply earned better than that. It shall have its own flair, own rules, own metagame. But Dota is quite old now, and had made many mistakes on his road, where it is nowadays. So i think, maybe i can help to just avoid some of these mistakes and go a step further directly. Ok, 'nough chittchatt, here comes the nagging

----------------------------

I only played Demigod a few hours, but due to my Dota expierience i could adapt kinda fast and even try diffrent builds (including items) on each of the 3 heros.

I've to say, all in all the game is pretty neat for its beta status. Besides some Pathing-Issues etc. you can already play it fluently. I had no errors/failures/crashes during all the play time.

I checked the "common Bug"-Page, and yep i only could find one additonal bug/issue to the list. There is already a part on the list, which states that Rook sometimes stucks in his attackanimation - but he also attacks way to fast. In the Char-screen it says he has 2.5-3s CD on his attackswing. But sometimes it happend, that my Rook just attacked each 1-1.5s.

I guess its to early for Balancing Issues, but if i dont tell what i noticed during the games i made right now, before i wrote this Thread, i just forget the most^^

1. The Rook

Hammer Slam is ok imo, i noticed that you can dodge the attack quite easily since he has an very long cast animation. Synergizes well with the Stun. He can farm tons of gold, with Hammer Slam + Roll supportet by just 1 Helm bought earlyon.

The additional guns are quite useful, but the Skill-buildup in the talent tree doesnt fit, imo. The archers are ok, for early lasthits on creeps. But the tower should be switched with the trebuchet, because the tower synergizes with the other towers which The Rook can build himself. Also, i think they should auto-attack even without order. They should engage everything that comes in range.

The skill "Structural Transfer" is in my point of view totaly overpowered not to say broken. It deals quite a good portion of damage, cannot be interrupted by stuns and additonaly heals the rook for a lot. The problem here is, that i cant be aborted by stuns. AI tried twice to do so and my Rook got stunned, but the Transfer was already activated and kept on going. Reduce the numbers imo, the skill itself is great.

2. The Torchbearer.

First to say: Very well thought synergies. Great hero design.

The key to handle this hero is a.) The skillbuild, but more important b.) know how and when to switch (know your cooldowns etc.)

Auras are fine, even the numbers seem ok. I cant say that my arguments are 100%, because of the limited number of heros + its only 3on3 + no generals which suffer or profit from these auras alot.

The two diffrent rains are nice balanced. Long cooldown, 2x Damage, 2x Manacost (Ice)  vs. 50% Cd, 1x Damage, 1x Manacost (Fire). But they seem to be manaintensive. Torchbearer is really manaintensive in the early game - i had the feeling almost to the same amount like the Rook. Imo it shouldnt be like that, and i can only argue with a comparison to Dota. In Dota games Nukers (Torch is definitly one) are strong in the early - mid game (~1-20min), and then slowly loosing their power. Why? It's simple. Spells deal limited damage, while normal auto-attacks will get stronger with each lvl up and each lvl you buy. Compare a 850dmg Fireball with a ~150dmg autoattack. So, if Torch cant nuke in the early game, he'll loose up in terms of power, when everyone runs around with 2.5-4k+ Hp.

Then there is just one more thing that bugs me. The very cool but ULTRA long animation when he changes the form.. please make it possible to cancel the animation with a move order (in Dota called: Animationcanceling) or shorten it. The animation goes exactly as long, as a frostnova stuns. So if you try to: Freeze => Run up => Frostnova => Change Form => Fireball.. puh. When you ended the fireball he'll dissapear in the fog. Ok, the now stupid AI often died anyways.. but well, its beta

Ah.. while im talkin about the stun. The 15sec stun on buildings is faaar to long. I felt, that the damage output (needed time to kill a tower/hero) can be compared to Dota. This can mean, at lv 5 a stun on target tower => mates port in => Tower down. 15sec are more then enough - specially if your team has a rook.

3. Remulus

For every Dota Player which is in this beta, he will be funny^^ Because he's quite the mix of two Dota-Heros. Dwarven Sniper.. which does exactly that + Goblin Techies, who can set mine, stasis traps + remote mines.

I like the concept, and he can be played from the second row with explosiv backup. Worked pretty well, but could only figure out a decent build.. have to play him 2-3 more games i'd say. I had the feeling, that he could use a little more range. I cant give you any numbers, since i havent seen any theorcraft about what the rangenumbers exactly mean. I mean he gets +4 and later +7 range... ok, but i cant compare it to something, so these are just dead numbers for me.

The Stasis traps are fine, and even better than those of the Dota-Techie, since they trigger also off normal creeps which is annoying. His damage is ok, his HP are not that bad, as stated in the pro/cons-Screen or to say it diffrent: With the items right now, you can give him enough damage while still boosting his survivabilty greatly.

Angelic Fury is good to clear creeps, no bugs noticed, no issues, nothing. I've my problems with maim. Again, i've to compare to Dota^^. There you can buy an item which gives you a 15% Chance for a 6sec 30% Maim Procc. The heros which this item is desinged for mostly get a 100% kill when this maim triggers. Specially because both Dota+Demigod are teamgames, which means mostly you'll also have a teammate assissting you which makes the kill-chance go up to like 327%. Here, Maim proccs on every shot makes it nearly impossible to escape. You can just hunt that poor guy over the whole map with no problem - add a nice speed-scroll and the kill is set. Synergizes well + deadly with the tracking device, since he cant hide in the fog while you chasin him. I'd say reduce the slow or change it into an active spell which debuffs the opponent or give it a % chance on hit.

The normal kaboom-traps.. are... not useless. But imo most of the time not worth a skillpoint - specially since the stats-bonus here are really good. The damage in the first 3 lvls is really not that much. Yes, the last two mines are quite powerful, but you have to spend !6! Skillpoints to get them. The only problem is see, is the high cooldown. 10sec in a fast RTS-Fighting-DunnowhatStereotyp-Game are alot. 5-8 would be nice. You may claim now, that you could set up a big trap for a team, but i've to correct you. You cant stack mines, you'll have to place them out of each others radius - which reduces the effect enormous. But also standing around like 30sec-1min to place all the mines is really suspicous. And the map we can play on got alot less fog of war, than the dota map does - and even there is a techie standing around totaly mega suspicous. And, i didnt test it, surley get countered by wards.

------------------------------

That's all i can say to the heros, at the current state of testing.

4. Things thats not directly related to the heros, but bugs me.

a.) Imo, the basic gold income is to high. Rewards for hero kills and creeps kills to low. Now, there are two ways of lookin at it. The first way would be to say: less skill needed (try to get the last hit on creeps - try it in dota, its not that easy), makes the game more simple and/or maybe to easy, less tactic (distribution of kills/last hits in the team. Yes this can be controled by the team.)

But the other way would be: Faster game, no need for kill stealing (explanation: You fight 1on1 against an opponent hero, you use all you have and manage to get him to 5-10%, then suddenly a teammate appears and kills him for the extra bounty - this happens mostly in Public games, not in organized teams.), no feeding of important heros, this happens alot in Dota right now. The real heavy damagedealer (called "Carriers") can have all last hits on heros etc. for the extra bounty = more items = win. Right now, the Metagame is just to get your carrier bigger than the other team, while disturbing the other team's carrier.

This depends on personal preference. (The big amount of gold could also be meant to test all the items.)

b.) The first towers are just not scary enough. They should be something, which you dont want to hit you in the first levels. Right now, you can face them on early lvls without gettin serious damage. The bigger towers in the center of the map are more like.. omg they hit me, i'd better run or wait for creeps/my team.

c.) I dont know, if it's planned like that, but the normal creeps which spawn all the time, are just not dangerous. Not even at lvl 1. You start with +-1000 HP, and they deal like 7-10 damage per hit. Imo, their to unimportant right now. This goes also for, how they react.

Example: If creeps in Dota attack your tower, you just have to attack one of them and their focus changes of you. Like this you can protect your tower with taking all the dmg or just run away, while these dudes follow you. Right now, you cant do a thing other than just kill all of them. But no play with the creeps - and for a dota player like me - thats just to simple.

Same goes for attacks on heros. Normally in Dota, creeps attack you if you assign a direct attack (notice: not spells) on a hero. They'll run up to you etc. I don't say, creeps should react the same - i hope the AI wont be so linear like in a WC3-Map - but you as a Demigod should be able to draw attention or just some reaction of the creeps.

------------------------

Okay, this should be everything for the first Post about the game.

Please read it carefully and give me your thoughts etc. about the game, to make the best!

So long, Aspartem.

+2 Karma | 3 Replies
September 7, 2008 5:08:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think I agree with u on everything Aspartem nice post.

September 7, 2008 5:45:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Needs more DotA references...

September 7, 2008 12:30:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As it seems, you didnt read the beginning of the post @Phazon88

The Dota references are made, because it's the only thing we can refer to. If you read the post carefully you would have seen, that i just compare the mechanics. No Numbers etc. numbers can change. I also stated, that i dont want a Dotaclone. I added the longer explanations for people who dont play dota, but still should be able to understand what i mean.

If you could be more specific with your post, i would help alot. Right now, just another troll :/

So long, Aspartem

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.