The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

mOoEyThEcOw's PAX Demigod Hand's On.

By on August 31, 2008 12:14:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So I got 3 games in at PAX, they had 3 demis for play (Torchbearer, Regulus, Rook.) and 6 machines, 3 network 'co-op' machines, 2 machines where you get one demigod on a team with the other two, and one where you could play on the lava map. The opponents were Queen of Thorns, Vampire Lord, and Unclean beast .(The generals units were oddly missing, they said they were mainily showing off the assassins.)

Now I have a critical eye, I spent quite a bit of time at the stardock booth (but I checked out a lot of other cool games), now I don't have video as I don't own a camera, but I read quickly and have a pretty much near photographic memory so I'll do my best. Games lasted like 10 mins, as it was pretty tipped in our favor (we start at level 15 with tons of money, and the AI was a little daft, people died more by the defences then the enemy demis)

Levels: (They said shipping with 8)

Objects: Tower of light(like prisms in RA), Arrow tower (Weak), Portals (Captureable with flags or destorying it?), Gold mines(Captureable with flags or destroying it?), Forts (fatter arrow towers, will eventually upgrade with catapults according to a dev who's name I didn't catch), Item shop, and of course the strong hold(goal), and a strange little crystal in the back of the base.

Flags were doted around levels, as you stand near them you capture them and things linked to them(?, because I only observed this partially I don't know, but I do know some how a player captured a portal and gold mine on a side lane (changed art styles)) . Also there were War Banners (like flags) that increased the spawns you get.

When I say defenses, I mean 2 Towers of light and 2 Arrow towers. (Towers of light are also dotted through the map)

Waterfall level:

Each side lane has a portal with a gold mine and some defences and a flag, the middle has a war banner that the creeps don't go to, and the middle lane goes, defences, fort, defences, item shop, stranghold (with ToLs(Tower of Light) dotting around the stranghold). Creeps travel from their port to the middle, run by the strong hold, take a left and then a right (meaning two lanes, and a middle with out creep support), and then follow the path of the enemy creeps (meaning they hit the strong hold before the portals)

Lava level:

A 1v1 or 2v2 map according to said dev (^) the level was partially finished (gameplay wise), there was one creep wave, that takes the 'middle' path, the top path has a war banner, and the bottom 'lane' between the two bases has a flag with a gold mine. defences were 2 forts, 2(or 4?) ToLs, and 2 (or 4?) archer towers.

Also mentioned Tyo/Frogboy were a level with a giant wheel, and in an air bubble underwater.

Creeps: Creep waves get bigger over time, the pecking order (*I think*), minataur, archer(seraphimy thingys), priest (i.e. fat guy on floating chair), catapulsars, angels, giants.

Heros:(Shipping with 8, and more soon after)

All demis have a skill 'tree' with level requirements rangeing from 1-10 and 15, also each demigod has an 'attribute boost' which give health, damage, energy, energy regen, health regen, ect. ranged about 10 levels I think.

Each demi has 4 abilities, one achivement item (the progressive mode thing, kinda like tf2 acheviment items I think, not game breaking but more flexibility), and 3 consumebals, I'll get to items in a sec.

Rook Abilities: (ability names are most definetly wrong most of the time, active first then passives)

Hammerslam: Slams the hammer dealing extra damage (like a third of QoT health) and aoe damage.

Building Sucking: Heals health by hurting a building, long cd.

Rock Roll: Rolls a rock which causes weaker units to go flying, and stuns stronger ones.

Summon tower of light: Rasies a defencive tower of light, long cd. (Can create chains) (ultimate like, high levels)

Gods weapons: Damage bonus 50% a level 4 levels. (passives now)

Sholder Towers: I think these were seperated, because we had 10 pre bought abilities, I don't really know much about these abilites.

Torch Bearer Abilities:

Rain of ice: Aoe rain ice, non channleing (*i think*)

Permafrost: Stun on unit or tower

Frost nova: Aoe frost

Relive the Immolation: Enters fire mode for 50 seconds

Rain of fire: Above with more damage

Fireball: Damge nuke

Fire Nova: Aoe fire

An ability I never got as I won too quick.

Regulus Abilities:

Snipe: Nuke

Wings: Fly up and aoe burst damage (dodges QoT's thorns )

Mine: Damage dealing proxy mine

Stun mine: 'Ultimite' (need high levels) like above but stuns

Maim: he aims for the knees and does something (damage I think) (passives now)

Range Increase: .. duh?

More I think

Items:

There were only a couple of items, according to Tyo he has 150 items to choose from 50 about of which will be in game (hopefully we get to choose some of those), we have tabs according to frogboy in the full build.

Consumeables were mana, health, scroll, and some sort of orb that does more damage.

There were also 5 slots on the demi for permanent items, like gloves with attack speed, an 'all fathers' ring which gave hp and regen.

Other things:

When you died you dropped a one use consumeable, unclear on wheather its from your inventory or not. But health potions and mana scrolls.

Vampire Lord: Because we have no pics of him yet: he's vampire likeish, with armour that has something like tubes on the shoulder pads, in very red armour. Ok i'm a horrible describer, i'll stop now.

It allready looks to be an interseting game, and lots of people were like "OMG that game's awsome looking" or "it's gunna be awsome!" and they were selling pre-orders, so hopefully and influx of more people.

I also heard one staff say that beta starts thursday.

I asked and they said they planned only 8 demi's for release.

Controls: QWER are abilities I didn't check the items. Arrows are camera, and spacebar, holding it, rotates the camera.

When you hover over a unit it shows the health and portrait at the top of the screen. Your health and mana, as well as xp, were at that bottom of the screen, meaning you can allways see it, also there is 'heart beat' when you get low health.

Also the maps don't use 'tiles' they are sculpted like a model.

Chris Taylor (maybe frogboy) said it cost $100,000 dollars for a demigod's art assets. (and if you think about it, all that software and the hours)

So how's that for a hands on?

p.s. Frog boy seemed suprised that I knew all 8 demi's

+12 Karma | 68 Replies
August 31, 2008 12:44:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Great description.

How fun was it though? (accepting it a beta and all that goes along with that)

August 31, 2008 12:53:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Very fun, other than the fact that the AI (the generals had no units! They said they were just done fine tuning their gameply, and that the art assets wern't finished) was pathetic compared to some one who's a vetren rts/rpg player and plays dota just about evrey night. Plus it was also stacked in our favor I think (money wise). But I was allways able to do something, no boring running around, teleport scrolls were useful. The controls were intuitive, if you've every played an rts and a mmorpg, you basiclly know the interface and controls by heart. The spells look and feel awsome (a rock flying through units, any 'killed' go flying off the map). Yea very fun, can't wait for the beta...

Oh yea! some of your support units (2 catas and a priest) were playing dumb and stopping on the top path of the island map doing nothing in one game I played devs! Have a bug!

August 31, 2008 12:57:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

very nice moo 8) alot of good info here. one question since the thread was one of the longest ever.. were u able to deny or comfirm aswd movement? lol

August 31, 2008 1:05:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds awesome, can't wait. Good descriptions, no matter what you thought

August 31, 2008 1:06:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As W is an ability hotkey it dosn't exsist is WASD form. Also the way the game plays I don't see it working well, also one of the devs said it would be a big gameplay change so I doubt it being in there.

Hey it could always be a UI side mod.

August 31, 2008 1:19:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also something I forgot to mention, It seems that there are random critical hits, (like TF2) and damage and healing are displayed on screen (ala mmorpg's). There is also things like 'First Smite' 'Double Smite' 'Rampaging' and 'Wrathful'

P.S. Any stardock/gpg employees figure out who I was yet? (What shirt was I wearing >.>)

August 31, 2008 1:20:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So all 3 Demigods you played have a stun?

*shrugs* I thought that was tthe bad part about DotA :[

Also QWER could easily be changed to ERTY or ZXCV

August 31, 2008 1:50:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Also note the fact a dev I asked had been reading it and said it would be a big game play change?

Anyways the stuns aren't that long, and for Regulus it's like an ult. Set up like a wall of 5, kite, eat for breakfast with allies.
August 31, 2008 2:43:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't care!   Gimme WASD.  Change the gameplay bigly!

And 2 seconds is long enough to kill somone in DotA which is why the game revolves around them..

August 31, 2008 2:49:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Darn it mOoEy! Why didn't you introduce yourself? I remember our conversation, but can't put the face with the name(That's what I get for doing demos for 8 hours straight)...
August 31, 2008 2:57:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You should of just assumed the weirdest guy there was him =]

August 31, 2008 3:12:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for all of the information! That is probably going to be the best non-video hands on that we get.

August 31, 2008 3:15:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh, and a question. Do you know if the "8 demigods at release" is going to be the beta release or the retail release?

August 31, 2008 3:20:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Darn it mOoEy! Why didn't you introduce yourself? I remember our conversation, but can't put the face with the name(That's what I get for doing demos for 8 hours straight)...

You should of just assumed the weirdest guy there was him =]

Hehe, I was the (probably very annoying) teenager in the brown A&W hoody.

No Problem, as it will probably get more people to buy the game, which means more $100,000 demigods!

I thought they meant beta release too, so I tried clarifying, and I think that means retail release, though one dev framed it as 'Committed' to 8 at release meaning that they perhaps might have more.

August 31, 2008 3:28:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As long as the WASD keys can be mapped to those functions, it should be fine. (Darn you WiC! I practically can't play without those anymore!)

Also posting so I can see the last reply...

Edit: Oh hey, three replies...

August 31, 2008 3:41:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just go to stardock's actual forums, they seem to respond faster.

Yea I hope there's key mapping to as I perfer my WASD keys for moving the camera, but with strategic zoom I don't think it will be needed as much.

But I like the fact that there will be standerdized hotkeys as compared to DotA with its keys all over the place for each hero.

Thats something they pushed at PAX and here, that anyone can pick up the game from almost any gameplay background and play, but to master it you have to know a lot more.

p.s. completly unrelated but found it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdPI50E0Zdo Kitkun when new demigod info is released

August 31, 2008 3:57:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mooey, thanks for the PAX info.  Something to mull over while waiting for the Beta...

August 31, 2008 4:16:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I remebered the last torch bearer ability as I was about to go to bed, It's a ring of fire around your guy (I remeber someone else using it) It would be useful if some one is bugging you in melee.

So thats his 4 fire abilities:

Fire nova, Ring of fire, Fireball, and Rain of Fire

August 31, 2008 6:28:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks you very much for sharing your impressions * karma*

August 31, 2008 9:05:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the information! I'm also glad to hear that is was fun, even at this stage. What use is a game that's no fun?

August 31, 2008 9:59:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

mOoey is now more awesome, couple things:

he said that maps were not tiles, is this gonna change map editing (if theres an offical map editor, or player made) is it gonna be hard to make maps? never used things like Blender and stuff, and I like map making... grr

2nd: the voice that says 'first smite' and such, is it a guy voice, or a sexy female voice? or is it EVA? Cabal? Orc? Night Elf? Medive? Medic? Zergling? TA tank sound for 'Confimed', or how bout CT himself? take ur pick, I got more...

August 31, 2008 10:30:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks m0OEy, best hands on I've read so far.

August 31, 2008 11:41:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How does the UI look? Is it themed well?

August 31, 2008 1:26:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't know because there wasn't sound I could hear, it might not even have voice yet, but the words appear.

The UI looks very cool, and themed well, It consistes mostly of a bottom middle bar. In the middle is a round portrait, on the left is:Health and below that hero based abailities, on the right is a mana bar and below that 'items'. At the very bottom was xp/level, the middle portrait fills a square area even though it's round, the lower left corner is the abilities button, the lower right is a 'status' window button which shows hp/energy/items. Status effects are shown around the top of the portrait.

If you've ever played an mmorpg the interface will come to you quickly, rts player will get the interaction quickly, and rpg players will understand all the levels and items faster.

The theme is (I'm bad at colors here) kinda a brown/deserty theme (*I think, I'm bad with colors + memory), kinda like the rook. It looked perfectly fine so I doubt there will be many complaints.

August 31, 2008 1:59:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great hands-on!

Loving it so far.

What I do find weird is you stating you have near-photographic memory and in each post after you're complaining you can't remember or describe it

(No offense meant, just weird)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000343   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.